Why you think capitalism is bad. Let's reason about it

I formally accept this debate challenge. As Pro has not provided a set of rules, I will assume that the rules of debate are based around common sense.

I'll start with my definitions.

Capitalism - The economic system in which the means of production are owned privately. Includes wage labor.

Means of Production - Any industry. From tactile factories to televised entertainment.

Bourgeoisie - The upper middle to upper class of the socioeconomic pyramid, commonly owning the means of production.

Proletariat - The lower middle to lower class of the socioeconomic pyramid, referred to as the "working class." Comprised of consumers and the lower-tier job positions.

Communism - The economical-political system in which there is no state or standard currency, thus creating a lack of socioeconomic class. This does not mean that everyone is poor. Largely characterized by the ownership of the means of production being in the hands of the working class (proletariat).

Now to present my argument.

The Truth of Capitalism

On the outside, Capitalism seems to work well. It's used almost entirely globally, and underneath capitalism extremely powerful nations have risen and prospered. However, it doesn't take much to see that Capitalism is failing horribly. Fluctuations in the economy drive people into crippling debt daily(1). Companies take advantage of loopholes to provide inhumane levels of wages to hard working employees(2). Debt collection agencies trick unknowing civilians into loans with impossible interest rates(3). These are just a few of the terrible things that go on within Capitalism.

It’s commonly said that these issues don’t lie inherently within Capitalism; that the issues are with contemporary governments. This is false, as the issues are not related to the government. They are related to the fundamental aspects of Capitalism.

What Capitalism Has Created

I will not deny that Capitalism has allowed for massive positive changes in culture, government, and society. That much is proven just by opening a history book. However, Capitalism has done just as much bad as it has good.

Capitalism has not rid of the caste system, and has not rid of the elite minority ruling over the majority. Such things are very much alive, and by making the populace believe they are not, Capitalism together with the government has effectively sterilized all possibility of uprising over unfair treatment. In other words, the only difference between modern society and feudal society is a lack of political conscious. The people don’t understand the situation they’re in.

Where Capitalism Is Headed

Capitalism’s fluctuating market is one of the biggest problems facing humanity next to environmental decline. Market crashes happen almost decennially(4), and lead to devastating periods of mass poverty like the Great Depression. These market crashes are a byproduct of Capitalism itself, and cannot be stopped without altering Capitalism at a fundamental level. Capitalism is a cycle of self-destruction.

Already the 1% own more money than all of the bottom 95% combined(5), which is outrageous in itself. The 1% do not do any work to “earn” that money. Sure, getting to where they are must have been hard, but the profits generated from the products belong to those who manufacture those products. Those people who labor day in and day out to produce the products hardly see any proceeds from that labor, other than maybe $10 an hour.

In Conclusion

Capitalism is a slippery slope, and we’re already halfway down. This concludes my first argument, and below you may find the necessary sources for the claims made. Thank you for reading my argument, and I look forward to your rebuttal.

1 – 2015 4th Quarter Debt Statistics:

2 – October 2015, a whopping 398 employers exposed for paying below minimum wage (UK):

3 –

4 –

5 – a.)

Thanks for answering my debate challenge :).
Well to being with in your list of definitions you mention communism so I guess that's the system you like.
Well it's true that capitalism hasn't brought us a perfect system of economy, but however it's a pretty good system, I know there's companies that are pretty cruel and have abuse a lot of the people that's totally a fact and that capitalism hasn't get rid of the caste system in its totality. But if we look at communism it hasn't worked well at all in any of the countries that had it over the years such as Venezuela, Cuba (even tho they say they were socialist they reflected another thing..). Capitalism has worked way better than any other system in the History of mankind and as far as is reflected is way better than communism and socialism, in those 2 systems you can't really grow over someone and you'll always be equal to everyone which I don't think is right. This all I have for this round.

I would like to point out that the debate is over Capitalism and not Communism. While I would enjoy holding a debate over Communism, this is not the time nor the place. I would like to mention that I included those definitions in case I ever needed to use them, but I don't think that will be the case.

Capitalism has indeed worked better than most other systems, but this doesn't make it the most appropriate system for the age. Feudalism lasted for a good 500+ years. Developing as early as the 700s CE (though it wasn't commonplace until around the 900s), and ending in the 1400s CE(1). However, looking at specific countries, feudalism lasted as far as the 19th century(2). In terms of length, Feudalism outdoes Capitalism.

I suppose I will go ahead and rebut your statements on Communism for the purpose of a quantitative argument, but I don't wish for this to become a debate on Communism. Please keep this debate on-topic.

Communism, while it has been tried in the past, has not worked. That I readily admit. However, it's from the mistakes made in those past attempts that Communism is revised. Of course, a lot of things were done right, and some failures can be attributed to espionage and isolation stemming from world powers. In regard to the nature of Communism, the principle of Communism is not that everyone is equal in every way, rather that everyone is equal in treatment, rights, and political power.

There is an economy in Communism, it just does not utilize a currency like Capitalism. It is what it is called a "Gift Economy." This also does not mean that everything is free. A "Gift Economy" refers to trade being used in the stead of currency. For example, if I work at a local industry, instead of being paid, say, $8 an hour, I would be paid in essentials. I.E. food, clothing, etc. I would use whatever I don't need either to donate to those who are incapable, or to purchase luxuries.

I would also like to point out that many alleged "Communist" nations were not Communist at all. For example, the U.S.S.R. was a totalitarian dictatorship. It was ultimately capitalist, in that it used a standard currency. The means of production were also in the hands of the state, not the working class.

Sebas.1999 forfeited this round.

RedAnarchist forfeited this round.