UltimateSpider-man
jamster

"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" is Overrated

Started: 2/19/2016 Category: Movies

UltimateSpider-man

Pro

Not saying it's bad, but the praise this movie gets is ridiculous. It's at the point where people claim this movie is a "political thriller" Barf.
jamster

Con

I wish good luck to my honourable opponent and look forward to engaging in this debate. I will argue that "Captain America:The Winter Soldier", which I shall refer to as "TWS" for the remainder of the debate, is not overated. To do this I will prove that it deserves its praise as it is a brilliant movie and it actually sets up the rest of the MCU and some episodes of AOS. Good luck
UltimateSpider-man

Pro

Before I get started I would like to reinforce the fact that I am not saying Captain America: WS is a bad movie. I'm just saying its insanely overrated. Anyways, onto the argument.

The biggest problem with CA: the winter soldier is that its incredibly uninspired. There is nothing going on here other than an average 2000s action movie. There's a Super Spy Hero who works for a corrupt agency, the agency hunts down the good guys, the super spy hero is on the run and has to work with a small team to beat the bad guys, the movie ends with the hero pulling the plug on a terrorist attack. Sound familiar? It should, its all 5 mission impossible movies. The movie also retreads villain archetypes from the other MCU movies. Basically all of them involve a power hungry villain in a suit teaming up with an evil mercenary. Iron Man 1: Obadiah (suit) Raza (mercenary). Iron Man 2: Justin Hammer (suit) Ivan (mercenary). Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian (suit) Mandarin (mercenary). Incredible Hulk: General Ross (suit) Emil (mercenary). Which leads into Alexander Pierce (suit) and the winter soldier (mercenary). The plot retreads and reused villain archetypes are inexcusable. The movie even does the whole fake-out death with nick fury. Overall the movie lacks ambition, and refuses to take risks.
jamster

Con

Bucky Barnes is Steve Rodgers best friend. Barnes dies in front of him, haunting Rodgers. Captain America is chased about a mysterious assasian - the Winter Soldier. When Captain America finds out this Russian killer is Bucky, he is torn as to what to do. Where do his loyalties lie- America or his best friend. Yet my honourable opponent claims that this is uninspired and generic. It also based on the comics - clearly it cannot be "uninspired". Secondly, Shield, an inherently good organisation, has Hydra, sworn enemy, infiltrating them. This is a brilliant component of the plot-where is the genericness? I fail to see it. This sets up later films and a major plot device in the 1st season of Marvels Agents of shield. Clearly doing this means that TWS deserves the credit that it gets. The villain point is invalid as the majority of comic book films and political thrillers contain these-a tried and trusted format. Clearly TWS deserves credit and is not overrated!
UltimateSpider-man

Pro

Comic Book fanboys constantly claim that TWS is a unique comic book movie. And I agree, TWS is the first time weve seen a spy thriller comic book movie. But that's exactly what im talking about. People are judging TWS as a comic book movie, when they should be judging it as a movie. As a movie, the winter soldier is bland and offers nothing new. It is a by the numbers mission impossible movie. The plot is exactly the same. Just swap the villains names, swap the city it takes place in, swap the climax terrorist plot, swap s.y.n.d.i.c.a.t.e with h.y.d.r.a, and swap Ethan Hunt with Steve Rodgers for our indestructible hero. As for the film itself, its not even a good movie. The action is good, but it doesn't save the terrible story. The only thing in this movie that isn't a bland mission impossible retread is the story between cap and the winter soldier. Its just too bad that the winter soldier is only in the movie for like 5 minutes despite the entire movie being named after. Despite the misleading title hes nothing moree than a glorified henchman that shows up a couple times. It is terribly handled and comes across as annoying. Revealing the winter soldiers identity in the 3rd act was a joke. It had no emotional weight because the movie basically tells the audience who the winter soldier is so when its finally revealed nobody cares. Cap and Bucky only have like 2 scenes together and both of them involved them just punching eachother. How the heck are we supposed to be invested in there relationship when that's all that's going on. Other than that the films pretty meh. Black widow has been reduced from a strong stoic woman to bland sidekick who is just there for sex appeal and makes out with cap for no reason. Its a overrated movie. Cheers.
jamster

Con

Iit was the first Marvel movie that took itself seriously enough to have a serious story with an over competent villain who also managed to be appealing. I mean it wasn't all just jokes and the like. Secondly, Winter Soldier kicked Cap's butt throughout the movie.- not just in it for 5 minutes. The ending had a large impact on the Marvel Universe , as I have previously stated, and it wasn't just another prequel to Avengers 2. The idea that struck me as awesome, was Rodgers, a noble and loyal soldier, having to fight his best friend. Someone he couldn't have imagined fighting in 1942, never mind 2014. This had to cause so much internal conflict in him and so much pain. Country or Bucky. I have honestly never heard anyone call it a "masterpiece". It is praised for what it is- an action/spy thriller movie mixed with poignant moments. How can that be overrated? Finally, to rebutt the Black Widow point: Captain America was pitted against her, which makes for some incredible dialogue and great scenes. Therefore, not reduced to a " bland sidekick who is just there for sex appeal". Thank you and in my honest opinion, CA TWS is not overrated and hope you oppose the motion!
Posted by maz0915 1 year ago
maz0915
Spoiler alert
Posted by DESTROYERZV 1 year ago
DESTROYERZV
Lol, I just watched this movie for the first time and I kind of agree with you
Posted by Blade0886 1 year ago
Blade0886
It is ridiculous. Only MCU movie so far I managed to sleep while watching it. Tells how boring it actually is.