USRugbyfan
Eccedustin

Carpet Walls

Eccedustin

USRugbyfan

Pro

Although this is a silly debate, I will pretend to be serious.

Carpets, I view to be and quadrilateral textile used in the domestic setting, such as rugs, fabric coverings, and tapestries, which I am arguing should hung, draped or in any other way fixed to the wall.

I will argue that carpeting walls is beneficial under the following headings.
1. Environmental effect
2. Economic effect
3. 'Impact' effect

1. Environmental effect: First in order to argue this, I will identify a problem which carpeting walls will fix. The problem houses are not insulated enough and waste energy. Also too many trees are being cut down.
First of, putting carpets on the walls would serve as a effective substitute for wallpaper. Such substitution will cause demand for wall paper to go down, thus causing the supply to be reduced, thus causing less trees to be cut down. In addition, compared to wallpaper, carpets are a much better insulator of heat, as well as being longer lasting. This means that less money needs to be spent on energy, causing a economic boost on the family scale, and a reduction on energy usage on the global scale. Thus carpeting walls is an example of a reform which will help support the environment.

2. The Economic effect: The problem here which I will identify is a lack of economic confidence and jobs (in Ireland at least). The first point is, in the creation of the wall carpet, we create a domestic necessity. The economic definition of necessity is a product which has a inelastic price elasticity of demand, ie people will buy is more or less irrespective of price. Therefore in the creation of a wall carpet, we create demand for this product. As at the moment, demand would exceed supply, price would go up, which in turn would be an incentive for more businesses to enter the market, thus creating more jobs. The creation of jobs leads to an increase in the amount of people employed, which in turn leads to more Income tax revenue for the government. In other words, carpeting walls is exactly the sort of economic stimulant that we need in the modern day.
In the early days of this novel market, the government could even subsidize the wall carpet for the same reason for which it subsidizes solar panels; it helps the environment (as I already outlined). After a period of a few years, which is required to get the trend to start, the subsidy would be withdrawn, leaving the market for wall carpets, which by this time would be self supportive to its own devices. Thus triggering the benefits which I have already outlined. And now to my final and more important point....

3. the 'impact' effect: The problem which I will identify for this point is the fact that when, for whatever reason, you run into a wall, it hurts. Why does it hurt? Because the impact with a hard, flat surface, transfers all momentum from yourself into pain under contact with the obstacle of the wall. What would carpeting walls accomplish? Quite simply running into a wall would not hurt so much. The carpet would muffle the impact thus resulting in less injuries from the cause of running into a wall. Think of all the injuries which could be spared! Surely this if not anything else would make such a reform a good idea!

I would like to thank my opponent for joining me in what I consider to be a silly and funny debate, and with that ask voters to vote prop!
Eccedustin

Con

Hello, Pro. My name is Con...Just Con! I'll be arguing against your argument today. You are arguing that carpets, or rugs, should be hung or fixed to the walls of homes. You argue under three headlines. I will address each headline as you have argued them, in order.

1. Environmental effect- You argue that carpets should be draped over walls because, by doing this, we would reduce heating costs as well as tree usage for wallpaper. First of all, You would need to provide some empirical evidence suggesting that coating our home's walls with carpeting would actually produce more insulation than not. It might seem intuitive to believe this, but I'd like to see some proof. Certainly, before embarking on such a drastic change in the way we design our homes there must be some evidence suggesting that it would reduce heating costs.

Secondly, You argue that by using carpeting (opposed to wallpaper) we would reduce the amount of trees we cut down. This argument makes the false assumption that most wallpaper is always made from actual "paper". This is false. In fact, most "wallpaper" is made of a solid type of vinyl as well as cloth. Even if wallpaper is still sometimes made with wood-pulp, the argument is moot since wallpaper CAN be made of non-wood materials.

Thirdly, and as a counter point, modern carpets are made of highly refined petroleum based chemicals. You know that "new carpet smell"? That is 4-phenylcyclohexene (4-PC), a strong neurotoxin and carcinogen. In fact, modern carpets contain dozens of neurotixic chemicals. Moreover, the process of making these carpets contains countless instances of environmental pollution along the way.

http://www.jhu.edu...

2. The economic effect- I believe that, for anything to have an economic effect, there must be an actual demand for it. I would argue that there will never be a demand for carpeted walls because the idea is absurd. Given that fact, it would have little or no economic value, even if it were subsidized. There would be no domestic necessity and no economic boom. So, in order to argue that there even would be an economic effect you must presume your argument itself to be true (that carpeted walls are ideal). This is a bit of a fallacy.

3. The impact effect- I think that in order for you to make this argument, you'd have to show some real evidence suggesting that a. people have a propensity to run into walls and injure themselves enough to justify carpeting walls and b. that a carpeted wall could actually reduce any potential injuries to any distinguishable degree. Again, these things seem a bit intuitive but if you think about it...When I fall down onto the carpeted ground it still hurts!

I also want to point out all of the downsides to having carpet on just the floor, let alone on walls.

1. Buildup of hair and dander and dust that can cause health problems.
2. Chemicals emitted from carpets that cause health problems
3. Maintenance expenses, (the cost of maintaining a carpet is quite high, and if it were on the wall it would be even tougher to maintain: Imagine steam-cleaning a carpet on a wall!!!)

http://www.allergyconsumerreview.com...

USRugbyfan

Pro

First of all, I must say I am shocked that my opponent gave as much respect to my ridiculous arguments as he did by applying logic to them. I must take the blame for not stating that it was never my intention to have a serious debate, but rather was looking for a silly one, of similar nature to those 'holiday' debates which we have in Ireland (which of course was ridiculous to assume that my opponent would realize that without a warning and explanation). Therefore I must apologize to my opponent for wasting his time.
As for obvious reasons silly arguments can never hold up against logical ones I am forced to forfeit this debate.
Again, please accept my apologies Con.
Eccedustin

Con

lol. Apology accepted.
USRugbyfan

Pro

USRugbyfan forfeited this round.
Eccedustin

Con

Eccedustin forfeited this round.
USRugbyfan

Pro

USRugbyfan forfeited this round.
Eccedustin

Con

Eccedustin forfeited this round.
Posted by USRugbyfan 6 years ago
USRugbyfan
It must be said, that many of my ideas were influenced by a speech made by a certain Mr. Jesse Harrington in the Presentation Brother College Halloween debate in the year 2008, to him acknowledgement must be given.
Vote Placed by bozotheclown 5 years ago
bozotheclown
USRugbyfanEccedustinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Carpet walls are awesome!
Vote Placed by CoDFreak 5 years ago
CoDFreak
USRugbyfanEccedustinTied
Reasons for voting decision: I love carpets. They are so soft and I shood be abel to put them anywere.
Vote Placed by KymberLayne 6 years ago
KymberLayne
USRugbyfanEccedustinTied
Vote Placed by adealornodeal 6 years ago
adealornodeal
USRugbyfanEccedustinTied
Vote Placed by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
USRugbyfanEccedustinTied
Vote Placed by Eccedustin 6 years ago
Eccedustin
USRugbyfanEccedustinTied