ExistentialBullcrap
Cassiroy

Cartesian Dualsim (Theatre)

ExistentialBullcrap

Con

I argue against Cartesian Dualism.
I am open to debate whoever wills, as long as he/she is not so intellectually deprived.
I don't care for semantics, so if you want to be a pedantic prig and define the terminologies then by all means do so.
Cassiroy

Pro

"I argue against Cartesian Dualism."

I argue for Cartesian Dualism

"I am open to debate whoever wills, as long as he/she is not so intellectually deprived."

The only intellectually deprived here is you and your pea-sized brain.

"I don't care for semantics, so if you want to be a pedantic prig and define the terminologies then by all means do so."

[b]Snob[b/[

BRING THE PAIN
ExistentialBullcrap

Con

ExistentialBullcrap forfeited this round.
ExistentialBullcrap

Con

Cassiroy

Pro

Now I win again
ExistentialBullcrap

Con

Cassiroy

Pro

All I do is win, win, win no matter what
Posted by themallet 5 years ago
themallet
I love the combination of a name of "existientialbullcrap", calling people prigs and the fact that you are describing cartesiann and substiential dualisisism. It's like the Queen rapping to Eminem or Craig Revell horwood saying; "That's what she said" every time someone scores 5/5 or 10/10. Really wierd.
Posted by logicrules 5 years ago
logicrules
Ever notice those who claim to hate semantics lack sufficient vocabulary to be clear?
Posted by JustCallMeTarzan 5 years ago
JustCallMeTarzan
@ existential & PCP

I was mostly referring to the metaphysical dualism of mind/body as opposed to strictly substance - i.e. is the mind a different category of substance (and therefore, substance dualism doesn't make sense to talk about) or strictly substance dualism where the mind and body are different substances, but share an ontological category.
Posted by popculturepooka 5 years ago
popculturepooka
I'll take this if you extend the voting period. I'm a real life substance dualist. :D
Posted by popculturepooka 5 years ago
popculturepooka
@existential, I meant that I think Justcallmetarzan was talking about "dualism writ large" as including both property and substance dualism.

And, yeah, there are lots of different versions of substance dualism (like ones advocated by E.J. Lowe and William Hasker and Richard Swinburne for instance) about the mind just as there are a lot of different versions of materialism/physicalism about the mind (reductive, non-reductive, eliminative, etc).
Posted by JustCallMeTarzan 5 years ago
JustCallMeTarzan
Extend voting period to like a week and I'll take it, though I wouldn't post my argument till tomorrow evening or friday - got a final tomorrow and class till 9pm
Posted by ExistentialBullcrap 5 years ago
ExistentialBullcrap
nope substance, pop
ExistentialBullcrap
Different variations of substance dualism? You aren't talking about predicate and proprety dualism? I am arguing against Cartesian, aka, substance dualism. That's the only dualism that's truly worth talking about, in my opinion.

In the argument you can choose whatever interaction-theory (Epiphenomenalism, interactionism, parallelism) you choose to espouse.
Posted by popculturepooka 5 years ago
popculturepooka
I think he's talking about property dualism.
ExistentialBullcrap
Cartesian Dualism, in the sense that the mind and the body are separate. So, yes, I would be confining the debate to substance dualism. But the debate would entail such problems as the hard problem of consciousness, problem of AI, and etc.,.

By dualism writ-large, does that mean you want to argue social dualisms, such as individualism? I'm afraid I'm not quite familiar with the term :P