david.palbino
Controverter

Catalonia deserves the independence

david.palbino

david.palbino

Pro

You can debate in English, Spanish or any Catalan dialect.
1000 characters per post.

My position, is that Catalonia is an oppress nation under spanish control and dever a pacific independence for the good of Spain and Catalonia.
Controverter

Con

Whilst I admit that they would fair better with independence I do not think they inherently deserve it in any way.

david.palbino

Pro

I"m not sure if Catalu"a will be better on their own or under the Spanish federal government. Please take in mind that while they are part of Spain, they can use the other states as a market, and many Spanish people say they will not let them be part of the European union if they get the independence.

Regarding the independence: Spanish usually mistreat Catalans, especially in the state/autonomy of Madrid, which happen to be the capital of the country.
During the civil war, they protect the republic (the democracy).
I think this is enough to see they deserve to get the independence.

Please would you talk a bit about yourself? why are you interested in this topic?
regards
Controverter

Con

Just because one has been abused doesn't justify them "deserving" freedom.

To deserve something one must have proven that they have a definite right to whatever it is they claim to deserve. Catalonia has never proven this.
david.palbino

Pro

You must be kidding, because your argument assumes that the default position is that every one deserves to NOT be free, unless you prove the opposite.
Catalonia deserves the independence more than USA at the time it was dependent. During the civil war they defend democracy until the very last day of the war.
They create most of the industry of the country and share the benefits, and in exchange what they got????
we have militars offering them selves to reduce the protests by using weapons (if public they go to jail), we have people in Madrid making jokes of how great will be to kill them, and we have other regions of the country blaming them for being a bit more wealthy than the rest
... EXCUSE ME? why do you want them in your country?
They could organize terrorism against the other nations of the country like ETA but they didn't.
WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO TO DESERVE THE INDEPENDENCE? maybe to kill other people? please any one can explain me, if the argument is good I will change opinion
Controverter

Con

There is no 'default position' of deserving. There simply is the fact that Catalonia is not independent and that unless it finds a way to overthrow Spain it doesn't deserve independence.
david.palbino

Pro

Violence is disgusting, that may be the only way to achieve something in this world, but it is still disgusting.
Is that true? it is the only way?
Any one who advocates for violence is my enemy.
Any one who use violence against civilians in the name of the independence of his nation is a terrorist.
violence don't makes any one to deserve anything.

You know something, one day I would like to meet a someone who achieves to change my mind at least a bit
Controverter

Con

This extremist pacifist view of pro is not justified by any reasoning other than his personal emotional response.
Posted by david.palbino 4 years ago
david.palbino
tell me a bit about yourself, why are you interested on this deabate, I may change my mind and extend the length.
I will be away for 1 day
Posted by lannan13 4 years ago
lannan13
Ill accept if you raise the charicter limit.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
david.palbinoControverterTied
Reasons for voting decision: I have o knowledge or opinion on Catalonian independence beyond what is in this debate. The issue is whether they "deserve" independence, not whether the should start a violent revolution. Pro gave a list of grievances justifying independence, and Con did not dispute the list. Hence con ranted the truth of the resolution, while arguing that independence could not be achieved without violence. that may be true, but is irrelevant to whether they "deserve independence." I would have like to have gotten references and background info from the debaters. They only offered opinions.