student99
Scripturient

"Catcher in the Rye" by: J.D. Salinger -Character Analysis-

student99

Pro

Is Holden Caulfield a mature or immature character throughout the novel "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger?

My position is that he is a mature character. You are opposing otherwise.

Please provide ONE concrete detail from the novel in the form of a quote with the included chapter and page number PER ROUND. You will also include your analysis to why you believe this proves that he is an immature character. (If you do not own a copy of the book, you can still find quotes on the internet).

Please keep your answers short and to the point so we can discuss quicker and have many reasons why we think Holden is the type of character he is.

I shall begin:

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth." Chapter 1, pg. 1.

This quote starts about by Holden telling us that he has had a lousy childhood and that his parents were very occupied. These two factors allow a person to mature more quickly rather than a child who is very attached and has a hard time to be able to be on their own.
Scripturient

Con

I'd like to accept this debate, thank you.
In chapter 1, page 13 of The Catcher in the Rye, Holden's interior monologue reads:
"I say 'Boy!' a lot. Partly because I have a lousy vocabulary and partly because I act quite young for my age sometimes. I was sixteen then, and I'm seventeen now, and some times [sic] I act like I'm about thirteen."

This passage is stating pretty literally that Holden is immature- straight from Holden himself. Holden's interactions with Spencer (where this quote is taken from) in chapter 1, and interaction with Mr. Antolini in chapter 23, reinforce this lack of forethought, personal planning, and self-consciousness that are the hallmarks of maturity. Holden has admitted that he sometimes acts "like [He's] about thirteen," and this is not wrong. His obsessions with daydreaming and girls throughout the novel and his ham handed stumbling about the adult world show his latent childlike traits; Traits which are making him unprepared for his drastic situation and the decisions it calls him to make.
student99

Pro

student99 forfeited this round.
Scripturient

Con

(Um.... I think that the time period for the rounds is too short? I believe it to be unchivalrous to continue with my evidence if student99 cannot make their case, as they're not online.)
student99

Pro

student99 forfeited this round.
Scripturient

Con

Scripturient forfeited this round.
student99

Pro

student99 forfeited this round.
Scripturient

Con

Scripturient forfeited this round.
student99

Pro

student99 forfeited this round.
Scripturient

Con

Scripturient forfeited this round.
Posted by Scripturient 1 year ago
Scripturient
Okay, then I'll argue exclusively for immaturity if that's alright with you.
Posted by student99 1 year ago
student99
Scripturient, I would prefer for us to both have a challenge and pick one or the other. Sorry
Posted by Scripturient 1 year ago
Scripturient
Can I argue that Holden starts out immature, and slowly improves over the course of the novel?