AnnonymousCritic456
navodeep1

Catholic schools are a disgrace to education

AnnonymousCritic456

Pro

I have been to a catholic school for 10 years, and in all honestly I can't stand them.(went to a public highschool after)
This debate is about why their is any reasons to send your kids there. If I wanted to I could write a whole book about why I hated it. I've decided to put a few points for you to argue about.

1. The quality of education is terrible compared to its public school counterparts. Teachers are sometimes decent, but from my experience a little less then half were any good *cough *cough nuns *cough *cough. These nuns are just awful at teaching, do they even have a teaching degree? The technology isn't so great either, not to mention their is really no extra activitiy.

2. Brainwashing
Yes I understand that its a Catholic School,( still against the idea of forcing religion on your kids,but thats a topic for another day). Their one sided argument is just awful. Lies, rubbish, bs all fed to these kids. Religion is relatively easy of a subject, write what they want you to write. They will never show the athiest side of an argument, just their utter bs.
They display athiest as satan's workers. Their is no room to question their delusional bs, that might result in punishment even depending on a school. A friend of mine sent a photo
"10 reasons why its a shame to be an athiest" with 3 filled out already. I laughed and asked where she got this, the answer was her teacher. In this time and age I was in a little shock something like that exists. Here are some examples from the paper "reasoning" why its a shame. "For you beuty is only skin deep" "No religious Holidays" and "When someone sneezes, you have nothing to say." Let me know what you think below.
navodeep1

Con

I really love the topic that you"ve put forward, and it is indeed a very commonly debated topic, so I hope this whole debate would be great and we would see eye to eye with each other.

Coming to the topic, I"ve been educated in Catholic Schools as well, and for what I know, even though the education council or the one who frame the syllabi for schools could vary all around the world, but the method of catholic education remains mostly the same. And while you start your argument saying how much you hated being there, I see a younger version of me in you. I hated being in school, but when I see myself now, I think my schooling was one of the primary reasons why I"m doing well today.

You might have often wondered, if the things that you learnt back in school are even important to you. I can safely say that half of us aren"t as smart as a 5th grader- the TV show was a burning proof of the same. What I want to emphasize here is that school teaches us the basics of life and discipline which helps us a lot more in our lives. The virtues likes organized,disciplined that we often mention on our resumes are the result of the catholic schooling. Most importantly, the school treats you as their own and they feel that they are responsible for the development of all their students, thus individual attention is often found here.

Agreed, the nuns in the Catholic schools might not be the best of the trade, but considering the funds of a public school, you need to consider the fact that they aren"t bad either. And this is the reason, why people have a difference in opinion here. Some believe that the fundamentals of life are more important than what you learn, because you"d do that in college anyway, o the other hand some believe in giving their children the best infrastructure.
Coming to the point which clearly seems to top the list of your concerns-Religion. I live in India, and we had a pretty secular environment in our Catholic schools, Hindus, Muslims, Christians all studying together. Now, I agree religion or Value Education as we call it here was a bit Christianity centric, but it was just restricted to the paper, it was never imposed upon us.

Now, I understand there could be some variations in our arguments due to the geographical differences, but I hope I might have been able to pacify your anger over Catholic Schools
AnnonymousCritic456

Pro

AnnonymousCritic456 forfeited this round.
navodeep1

Con

navodeep1 forfeited this round.
AnnonymousCritic456

Pro

navodeep1

Con

I rest my case
Posted by AnnonymousCritic456 2 years ago
AnnonymousCritic456
oh wait navodeep is the contender. hmm sorry i m still getting the hang of this and i did not purposely forfiet
AnnonymousCritic456
Cheyenne just saying I just joined and am getting the hang of it no I did not even know i forfeited. I also ran out of characters below so to finish the sentence (than catholic schools)
AnnonymousCritic456
Cheyenne, although i believe liberalism isn't the best,but conservatism has it's problems as well, what is so bad about tolerance of the gays? not to get off topic

In my experience I was able to learn better and achieve better grades in a public school, with more able teachers. I'd like to add however I went to one of the top 8 public schools in one of 12 states with the biggest population. This may be a factor worth noteing. I'd also like to note that I'm comparing a typical public school not one in a skeptical area.

Comparing the neighborhood catholic school to the public schools(has it's flaws, however catholic schools have the same flaws, and more) is like comparing a shack to a mansion.

Infecting kids with junk knowledge? I can agree on that one algebra and history especially,however catholic schools implement the same junk.

Catholic schools implore more junk however via Religion.
Yes it is a Catholic school, however their arguments are heavily one sided. Kids are not taught critic thinking but rather to be mere sheep. This may tap into religion a a bit, but every hole in their argument is filled in with the word "faith". What is faith? nothing but blind beliefs. "Enemies of the church" are viewed as satan worshippers. To them Atheism is viewed as a barbaric religion, clearly the ideals of it are directly against religion. I think I mentioned this before; "10 reasons why it's a shame to be an atheist" was a homework assignment to Highschool students. How dare they? I know this does not go for all Catholics,but the ridiculous views a good half of the staff in my school is pure shameful, this includes the principal, the most radical of them. She was advocating for Public Schools to shove christianity in children's throats! One project was to write an essay on how great the school was an present it in church. Mandatory! Oh course I made mine heavily sarcastic.

To finish off their are so many clubs and activities available in public schools then cat
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
I went to 6 years of catholic school. And there was no problem there at all.Except for the fact they are very weak on bible truths.Academical;ly they were just as good , if not better than public schools. Of course back in the 50's and early 60's public schools were very good academically.It wasn't till the 80's that the commies of the 60's put on a suit and tie and infected our childrens head with junk knowledge.Now we have kids leaving with high self-esteem,tolerant of gays, but cannot make change at a cash register.And they have to take courses in lower education when they go to college to be able to handle the higher learning courses.
Posted by funnycn 2 years ago
funnycn
@Cheyenne is right. Liberalism infects the ignorant though. Liberals always come off as "nice" and "caring". Sure, but when you find out they are stealing your money to pass out phones for the homeless that can't even charge the phone and they're stealing your money to spy on you, then you get pissed and turn into a conservative.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
A one room school house in the country would be better than our public schools today with the infection of liberalism.
Posted by Emilrose 2 years ago
Emilrose
In terms of education Catholic schools are some of the best you can go to.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Debate queen. What is stopping you from reading the bible anyway. Do not blame Catholicism for that.And there are plenty of faith and word churches to go to.
Posted by Keeyan 2 years ago
Keeyan
Country and school board? Canada?
Posted by YYW 2 years ago
YYW
It would be very easy for anyone to accept this debate, and argue that Catholic universities negate this resolution. Notre Dame, case in point.