rubygreco
JDiamond

Catholic schools teaching students homosexuality is wrong

JDiamond

rubygreco

Con

I feel like everyone is entitled to their opinion and it's not right to "brainwash" kids and force these ideas upon them. I was forced to go through this when preparing for my confirmation and this appalled me. There is a difference between learning about opinions only some people believe about their religion and then brainwashing the next generations. I am worried about my kids having to go through this and I'm only a teenager...let me know what you think....I just feel like kids should be able to make up *their* minds on topics like these rather than letting other people making up their minds **for** them.
JDiamond

Pro

Before I say anything, i think I should address my views on gay marriage: As a libertarian Republican, I don't think the government should have any say in who marries whom, as long as the service is mutually consenting (meaning that churches shouldn't be forced into performing a ceremony if the feel uncomfortable with it).

Catholic Schools should be allowed to teach whatever they want to the children who are attending their schools. I myself am Catholic, I acknowledge that my faith teaches that marriage should be reserved for a man and a woman. Despite this, I think you may have your facts wrong on what the Vatican teaches about Homosexuality.

The official Church teaching is that gays do not necessarily choose their condition, and thus should be loved and respected as equal members of Christ's flock. This being said, because gays cannot produce offspring through sexual acts, homosexual ACTS are considered sinful...not the condition itself.
rubygreco

Con

rubygreco forfeited this round.
JDiamond

Pro

Are we done?
rubygreco

Con

Okay. So I also agree that anyone should be as to get married and that the government shouldn't have any say about who. can get married but only if a church feels comfortable doing it. However, I never said the Vatican teaches these. I meant my CCD school taught these things. I do the that they should be able to teach whatever they want if it agrees with the faith but it is a contradictory belief and I just felt that when I was taught this, that I was forced to listen to this. Every class, my teachers told me that gay people were abominations and that being gay was a sin and they were going to hell. As a person who has homosexual, lesbian and bisexual friends, this was going against what I believe in. And my mother contacted the head of the department and said how she didn't feel that was okay to force the students to listen to it and he said he would fix it. However, nothing changed and they continued to preach this. Also they promoted the anit-abortion March to a bunch of 15 year olds. I also have an opinion on that but let's not get into that. I just felt that these kids should be able to make up their minds. My way of thinking is that what if there was a kid in that room who wasn't sure if they were gay or not. And they had to hear that. They would feel that there was sketching wrong with them and that thy *couldn't* be that way because God didn't love them. It just frustrated me. That's all. And my faith doesn't teach to treat gay people good though. Were taught to hate them and recognize that what they are doing and who they are is wrong.
JDiamond

Pro

Well in sorry you had such a bad experience, but I can not stress enough that the Roman Catholic Church does not preach hatred against gays. There only teaching on the subject is that homosexual acts are sinful...being a homosexual is not. I'm sorry you're so misinformed
rubygreco

Con

rubygreco forfeited this round.
JDiamond

Pro

JDiamond forfeited this round.
rubygreco

Con

I'm pretty sure that I am not misinformed because how could Roman Catholics not teach that homosexuality is wrong. And the statement that you posted: There only teaching on the subject is that homosexual acts are sinful...being a homosexual is not.
How does that make sense? How could 'being' homosexual be okay but homosexual acts *are* sinful? That really doesn't make any sense. Also, how are homosexual acts sinful just because they can't produce children? Most heterosexual people take part in sexual acts and most of the time, it is not to produce children. That's why brith control methods were created. So it's okay sexual acts to occur between heterosexuals but not homosexual yaks despite the fact that they are serving the and purpose? Also, I am Roman Catholic as well and the CCD school I was in was teaching this. Again, I do understand that it is not always he faith as a whole that takes part I. This hate crimes but that it is mostly due to the individual people who decide to believe this. Also, just to address the idea that the Bible states that homosexuality is wrong. I want to mention the fact that right below that, it says that a woman having her menstrual cycle is a sin. This and other "phrases" were meant to be disregarded when Jesus died on the cross. By doing this, Jesus made these ideas/beliefs invalid. I mean, who regards these ideas anymore. Just saying. And I want to remind you that I do respect your opinion and I appreciate you having this debate with me.
JDiamond

Pro

The Catholic Church also teaches that any methods of birth control and having sex without accepting the likely possibility of pregnancy is a sin. So your argument about the Church supposedly giving preference to Heterosexual couples is pretty much negated. On the other hand, many Catholics do not follow the Church's teaching on this subject, and thus they shouldn't criticize homosexuals for engaging in similar acts.
The idea of being anti-homosexual acts but not being anti-homosexual is not contradictory. Basically, a gay person is not allowed to engage in Sexual acts with another man because there is a 0% chance of offspring being produced. This falls into the same category of not using contraceptives, getting abortions, etc.
it is not a sin for a gay person to acknowledge their sexuality, or to act in a 'gay' manner. It is only a sin if he/she gives in to their urges.
Here is what the Chatechism of the Catholic Church says about Homosexuality:

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.
Posted by MyUncensoredOpinion 2 years ago
MyUncensoredOpinion
If you go to a private school they can teach pretty much whatever they want, perhaps this school was/is not the right school for you
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
rubygrecoJDiamondTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff more rounds, so conduct to Pro. Con conceded in round three that the Catholic Church should be able to teach what they want, so arguments to Pro. Only Pro had sources