nerf4sh
lannan13

Catholicism has Mistakes

lannan13

nerf4sh

Pro

Catholicism has its flaws. It has some wrong stuff. Therefore, I think Protestantism is more true and correct.
lannan13

Con

I accept and I will allow my opponent to explain his point and make his arguements.
nerf4sh

Pro

First of all Mary the Virgin, and the saints are worshipped. The bible clearly says in the Ten Commandments, have no other gods and do not make yourself a god to worship. Worshipping Mary and the saints clearly violate this law. And the bible does say Mary did have other children, so I don't understand what's up with her name. The bible and Jesus says follow God only, so Catholics who claim they are following God, don't follow his commandments.

Matthew 6:33 Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these thing will be given to you as well.

Seeking God's kingdom is following his commandments and not just following him. Jesus said, "If you love me, you will follow my commandments."
So Catholics violate that law.

The pope is also a weird addition Catholics added. Popes supposedly hear from God, and tell everyone what God wants them to do. But, God wants us to talk to him ourselves. The pope himself could very well be the antichrist!

Therefore, my opponent will tell me what is wrong with Protestantism, and explain the meaning of Mary and saints worship, and the pope.

lannan13

Con

I will break down my opponent's arguments piece by piece.

First Mary and the Saints are not worshiped. The saints have prayers for guidence and Mary has a prayer for protection and guidence. You see the saints stand for things, like how St. Matthew is the patron saint of accountants http://www.americancatholic.org.... You see the saints are not worshiped it is just that they are looked to for guidence. According to this article http://catholiccomuter.blogspot.com... you can see that Catholics don't worship the saints or Mary.

For the Virgin Mary part, her name is that way because through God, not Joesph, she had Jesus. I do know that Mary had several other brothers.

Pro says that to only fallow God, but this is were he is mistaken, because there is the Holly Trinity. The Father (God), the son, (Jesus), and the Holly Spirt. so you see we still haven't broken a rule.

So Catholics violate that law.

Pro states that fallowing God's commandments doesn't mean we're fallowing him, but the Commandment says, "Obey your father and mother." So we are obeying God and loving him and fallowing his rules. Thus not a violation.

My opponent here is wrong because Nostrodamus has predicted 3 anti-christs, and they have been: Neopleon, Hitler, and Mabus (last one has yet to come). But the pope is an interment from God and God uses the pope to communicate with his children. So Pro is wrong here.

Sacraments

Protestants don't baptise untill a certain age. Those unbaptised will burn if they don't get baptised.

Prostant violated the Bible.

http://www.protestanterrors.com...

nerf4sh

Pro

Catholics pray to Mary, and don't end their prayers with 'In Jesus' Name' which God clearly wants us to do. I know there is the Trinity, and God means 3 persons in one. So saying God does not just refer to the Father.

Babtism and Penance and Eucharist and all that junk is not needed, and clearly not needed. Baptism is the public declaration of faith. Therefore, you do not need to be babtised to go to Heaven. It's like saying you need a badge to play basketball.

I did not mean just follow his commandments. Here is an example.

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. (Matthew 6:33 NIV)

God's kingdom should reflect off him, and be like what he is. Why does it not say follow God? Because, God doesn't want us to say, "I love Jesus, and I follow him," he wants us to seek his kingdom and righteousness, which means following his commandments and being like him. That is what I mean.

God says everyone is equal, so the way they are making popes more holy than every other Christian, is unacceptable. God has his own message for the each of us, so we don't need to go visit a old guy in red, living in Vatican City, to tell us what God wants.

I don't have a thing against Catholics, but I think Catholicsm has strayed from the teachings of God and Jesus, so that is why Martin Luther, had to post his 95 theses.

And, the bible says to not murder, but thanks to Bloody Mary, and some Catholics, we see that law being kept.

Con will have to give flaws of Protestantism and correct what he thinks is wrong in what I'm saying.

lannan13

Con

Catholics end all prayers with, "In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirt. Amen. Pro here makes an incorrect statement and since Catholics end all prayers with that phrase what he said is null and void.

In the Bible it states that one must be Baptised to go to Heaven and have Original Sin washed away. Peanance is key to forgive terrible sins which you can't go to heaven if you die with those and the Eucharist is nessisary, because that is when Jesus made the New Covenant and it is also in the Bible. Saying that these things are not important are utterly rediculas and prove that a Protestant like you don' fallow the Bible well. http://ncronline.org...

But Jesus is God, you see what you are saying is contradictary and I will discard this arguement as such.

The Pope is God's interment, his messenger, like a phrophet. Stating this is dissing on all of those in the Bible who worked so hard to get us her today.

The church has actually changed since then. http://www.prca.org...;

I can say the same thing about the 30 Years of War in Germany.

I can't give flaws since that will move us into a spot where my opponent can't deffend them and that would be bad manners, so I'll defend what I have said and go from there.

Also my opponent has not touched on my arguements against Protestants so extend those across the board.

Vote Con. Thank You.
Posted by ExsurgeDomine 4 years ago
ExsurgeDomine
I got a good chuckle out of this debate. Good work Pro and Con.
Posted by PeaceByJesus 4 years ago
PeaceByJesus
Catholicism has Mistakes indeed capital M, but the argument by pro is weak and immature, while the comparison should not be one church versus many, but one basis for ascertaining truth and unity versus another, that of sola Scriptura (or at least prima Scriptura) vs. sola ecclesia.

The issue really is one of authority, thus the challenge of the Jewish magisterium to the Lord Jesus, ` And say unto him, By what authority doest thou these things? and who gave thee this authority to do these things? Mark 11:28

The RC premise is that it is the steward of Divine revelation and inheritor of God's promises of preservation, and is infallible, and that we must have an assuredly infallible magisterium as the supreme authority on faith and morals, which effectively places it above Scripture, as only her decision on what Scripture consist of and its meaning has authority. The evangelical premise is that Scripture alone is wholly inspired of God, and thus the supreme authority on faith and morals, and which provies for the church but not as assuredly infallible.
Posted by Huntman123 4 years ago
Huntman123
Dang it Nerf, I'm making my own
Posted by Huntman123 4 years ago
Huntman123
I hate people that quote debate
Posted by Cowboy0108 4 years ago
Cowboy0108
I do not believe you have to be baptized in order to go to heaven.
"Unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Spirit..."
This verse can be translated born of the mother(water represents the womb) and the holy spirit(which is accepting Christ)
Protestants and Catholics both take the bible seriously, they just emphasize different things and have different traditions.
Posted by evangambit 4 years ago
evangambit
I'm going to be completely honest, I read this sentence:

"Catholicism has its flaws. It has some wrong stuff. Therefore, I think Protestantism is more true and correct."

and was immediately taken aback. The argument that "A is wrong, therefore B is right" is simply not true. Just because X doesn't equal zero, X doesn't necessarily equal five.
Posted by Dmot 4 years ago
Dmot
I am not in this debate but Pro, you say:
"Catholics pray to Mary, and don't end their prayers with 'In Jesus' Name' which God clearly wants us to do. I know there is the Trinity, and God means 3 persons in one. So saying God does not just refer to the Father.

Babtism and Penance and Eucharist and all that junk is not needed, and clearly not needed. Baptism is the public declaration of faith. Therefore, you do not need to be babtised to go to Heaven. It's like saying you need a badge to play basketball."

Really?!?!

1) Catholics pray in the name of Jesus. To Catholics, the Mass is one giant prayer in the name of Jesus

2) It's junk?!? According to Jesus baptism is necessary "Unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Spirit..." and the Eucharist is too "Unless you eat my body and drink my blood you will not have life in you" Junk??

Catholics take the Bible more seriously than Protestants
Vote Placed by countzander 4 years ago
countzander
nerf4shlannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Catholicism, I think, does have mistakes, but none were mentioned in Pro's argument. Con's argumentation was better.