Theoretician101
dairygirl4u2c

Catholicism is a contradictory religion

dairygirl4u2c

Theoretician101

Pro

=Opening Statement=

Welcome to this debate. As you can see/according to the title of the debate I will debate that the religion of Catholicism is a contradictory religion that has been contradicting itself from the time it was established. Since the establishment of the Catholic church they have contradicted its history, the word of God (Bible) and God himself.

=Rules=

1. My opponent may not use any profanities. If he/or she does will face disqualifications.

2. If my opponent chooses to forfeit the round; he/or she will be disqualified.
3. My opponent must provide sources. If he/or she plagiarizes will face disqualifications.
4. My opponent must provide credible sources, that means he/or she may not use Wordpress, blogger, Blogspot, these are not credible sources.

-good luck to whoever accepts this.
dairygirl4u2c

Con

the burden is on pro. i propose he pick three examples of supposed contradictions, and i will show how they are not contradictions.

i have debated this in the past, and this is how i framed it below. i suppose given it's not my debate we can debate the bible.

"in this debate, i am not counting the issues of limbo, or "no salvation outside the catholic church".

you would think if the catholic church were not true, that it would have contradicted itself at some point in two thousand years.

the only things that count are statements that are authoritative, things that could be considerted "infallible". the pope, intentionally, teaches, the church, on faith and morals. that is the criteria. it includes many councils and other statements by popes.

note:

-this does not include moral corruption, only official teaching. that means you can't use bad priest, even peodofile priests. it means you can't use the inquisistion where millions were killed by catholics. can't use the sins of past popes. it has to be actual teachings of the church, as said, councils and statements by popes. etc. impeccable v infallble, there's a difference.
-since we are comparing official statements, id rather not use the bible either. it's usually too open to interpretation to begin with. we are examining the church's consistency on its own anyway... and you'd think even beyond the bible, it'd have contradicted itself within two thousand years.
-also there's a differnce between widespread belief and doctrine. that so many believed the earth was made in six days, that the earth was flat, that man wasn't from apes etc... only shows they are human. it'd make sense at first impression. this isn't doctrine. you have to cite a quote or citation.
-there's a difference between practice and doctrine too... preistly celibacy is practice, reading the mass in latin is a practice... etc

also try not to be vague. so many claims of contradiction online are superficial. for example, "papal bull regarding jews", without getting into what exactly is contradicting what etc. if possible, find the quote or citation for what you are referring to."
Theoretician101

Pro

Theoretician101 forfeited this round.
dairygirl4u2c

Con

reiterate
Theoretician101

Pro

Theoretician101 forfeited this round.
Theoretician101

Pro

Theoretician101 forfeited this round.
dairygirl4u2c

Con

ride em cowgirl
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
That should be " IF" the first word in the previous box.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
I you cannot answer these questions. Then I would suggest you put down the catechism and pick up a bible.I am not trying to make you look bad, just trying to make you think outside the religion box.Christianity is not religion. It is God and his family.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Footnotes are not scripture.They are just opinions. And if you go further in Luke you will see that Jesus entered Simon's boat. Simon Peter.That is in the 5th chapter. And why do catholics think that Mary never had sex with Joseph. Sex is not a sin. And I bet all your footnotes were written by catholic hierarchy.Like I said. If you want to fellowship, lets discuss faith.
I would like to know what you have been taught. Answer these questions so I will know if we are on common ground.
1. What is faith?
2. How does faith come?
3.How is it released?
4 Who has faith?
5. How is faith developed?
Hebrews 11:6. But without faith it is IMPOSSIBLE to please God. Seems that Christians should be centering on faith than religious traditions anyway.
Posted by 1Credo 2 years ago
1Credo
Cheyennebodie,

"Simon" from Luke 4:38 is not St. Peter. I suggest you read the footnotes, if your Bible version has any. Here are the footnotes from mine on this verse:
"The house of Simon: because of Luke's arrangement of material, the reader has not yet been introduced to Simon..."

In Mark 6:3 (and other verses) the author is referring to general relatives of Christ, not to brothers and sisters, as Mary gave birth only to Christ. Once again, I suggest taking a look at footnotes.
"In Semitic usage, the terms "brother," "sister" are applied not only to children of the same parents, but to nephews, nieces, cousins, half-brothers, and half-sisters..."

Matthew 1:24-25 supports the idea that Mary was a virgin throughout her life. I'm not sure why this verse was quoted.

I hate to burst your bubble, but it doesn't hurt to research what is actually being said as opposed to reading your own personal views into the scripture.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Sure I would be glad to fellowship over our commonalities whatever they may be.And there are many " protestant churches that are just as steeped in religious tradition as catholicism' I belong to none of them I am Christian.I fellowship with people who walk the faith walk. Not the religious walk. Now if you want to discuss faith, I would be more than glad to do that.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Credo: I really do not care what : mainline" Christianity thinks. Nor 14 schools of theology. Like I said, God's word is final authority to me.
Luke 4:38. Now he arose from the synagogue and entered Simon's house. But Simon's wife's mother was sick with a high fever...........
Mark 6:3. Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, and brother of James and Judas,and simon. Are not his sisters here with us.
Mathew 1:24.,25. Then Joseph being aroused out of sleep did as the angel of the Lord commanded and took to him his wife. And did not know her ( had sex) till she had brought forth her firstborn son. And called his name Jesus.
Sorry to burst your bubble about these things, and I hope you will do what I did, and question all the other things you have been taught.Let God speak to you through his word. Not the pope.
Posted by 1Credo 2 years ago
1Credo
"Do you know that Peter was married and that Jesus had brothers and sisters.Then why the celibacy thing IF Peter was your first pope.And Mary apparently had sex with Joseph to have other children.The word says she did not have sex till Jesus was born.These are just two things I read in thwe word that started shaking my Catholicism. There are hundreds more. Now I could never go back. With what I know about Gods word catholcism would never attract me back in."

St. Peter was unmarried, as were each of the twelve of apostles. Jesus had no brothers and sisters. Mary was a virgin her entire life. These are strange claims, none of which are accepted by mainline Christianity (or by Biblical scholarship, for that matter) and no warrant is produced to back any of these claims.
Posted by 1Credo 2 years ago
1Credo
Cheyennebodie,

I am glad that your spiritual walk is a valuable one. That being said, I don't think that Catholic-bashing is anything that Christ would look favorably on, as we are all brothers and sisters.

St. Paul himself was a Catholic, as were the original twelve apostles. These twelve apostles, along with St. Paul and others, spread the church and the truth of Christ throughout the world. Though not every Biblical author was Catholic (the Old Testament authors were obviously Jewish,) the Bible itself was compiled by the Catholic Church in the 4th century. Without the Church, you would have no Bible.

I am sorry that you feel the church is caught up in traditions. I was raised a Protestant Christian, and I converted to Catholicism a few years ago and have personally found it to be much more spiritually fruitful and fulfilling. But perhaps it's best that we focus on our commonalities and not on our differences, as it is the same Christ that we follow.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Dairygirl. Do you know that Peter was married and that Jesus had brothers and sisters.Then why the celibacy thing IF Peter was your first pope.And Mary apparently had sex with Joseph to have other children.The word says she did not have sex till Jesus was born.These are just two things I read in thwe word that started shaking my Catholicism. There are hundreds more. Now I could never go back. With what I know about Gods word catholcism would never attract me back in.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Credo. Moses wrote the first five books of the bible. Paul wrote 2/3 of the new testament. None of the apostles were catholic. They were all Christians.I went to catholic school for 8 years. It wasn't till I was 24 that the reality of scriptures hit me. That is when the rock of the church of the firstborn came into being. That rock is revealed knowledge. Revealed to the heart.Up to that point I mentally ascended to the fact that Jesus was raised from the dead. But on that day a scripture ,Acts 1:11, took root in my heart or spirit man.And I was reborn from death to life.1 Peter 1:23. I actually never left Catholicism per se. I did decide that where this book led me, that is where I would go. Sorry to say it never led me to Rome to kiss the popes ring.
All I am saying is there is a great big world out there that you are being cheated out of by holding on to the traditions of Catholicism.Once the word of God becomes FINAL authority in your life you will know what I mean.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
Theoretician101dairygirl4u2cTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro is disqualified
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Theoretician101dairygirl4u2cTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
Theoretician101dairygirl4u2cTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Con. Pro forfeited every round aside from R1. Forfeiting is rarely acceptable conduct in any debate setting. S&G - Pro. Con failed to capitalize throughout this debate. Arguments - Con. Pro failed to present any argument or rebuttals, which left Con's arguments standing unchallenged. Sources - Tie. Neither utilized sources in this debate.