Catholic_defendant
KhalifV

Catholicism is the only true religion.

KhalifV

Catholic_defendant

Pro

I believe Catholicism is the true religion because it was established by God himself. The Pope is infallible. It consists of 2000 year's worth of traditions. 1 billion people follow it's teachings. If there weren't any Catholics today, the whole world will be a mess. It's true that it has cost a thousand lives and produced the most famous martyrs, non Catholics, even recognize themselves. Catholicism has kept the true teachings of the Church ever since its establishment.
KhalifV

Con

I'm going to assume first round is for acceptance because pro did not offer arguments and evidence.
I will be arguing that catholicism is probably false, primarily because god probably doesn't exist

God has a lot of attributes and pro must first prove it is possible for this being to have these attributes.
Some of which are eternal, omniscient, omnipotent, omni-benevolent, has free will.
http://www.theopedia.com...'s_known_attributes
Catholic_defendant

Pro

We have ideas of many things."These ideas must arise either from ourselves or from things outside us."One of the ideas we have is the idea of God -- an infinite, all-perfect being."This idea could not have been caused by ourselves, because we know ourselves to be limited and imperfect, and no effect can be greater than its cause."Therefore, the idea must have been caused by something outside us which has nothing less than the qualities contained in the idea of God."But only God himself has those
KhalifV

Con

Problem Of Evil:
P1)If an omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent god exists, then evil and suffering doesn't.
P2) Evil and Suffering exist
C1) An omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent god does not exist.

Problem Of Free Will:
1) God knows the future
2) God knows what actions he will perform
3) God can't change his future(if he did, he would have known he would, thus it was part of the original series of events.)
4) God's actions are predetermined
5) God has no free will.

Character count is too low!
Catholic_defendant

Pro

God is not a puppet master, pulling our strings, but a mighty, omniscient God who looks at each thing we could do and meets us there when we make our choice. God creates everything for good. No exceptions. He gave the angels a free will, and He gave us our free will. As it says in Timothy..... God desires all men to be saved. But it is up to each of us to choose God over sin. Does God know what MY choice will be? Yes! Do I have the free will to make that choice? Yes! We suffer because we sin....
KhalifV

Con

Pro did not address my 2nd argument.

Problem Of Free Will.B)
1)An omniscient god knows the future.
2) An omniscient god can't be wrong.
3) An omniscient god can predict your actions and can't be wrong. An omniscient god knows your actions.
4) You don't have free will.

Given god is omniscient, you have no free will.

We Suffer Because Of Original Sin?
A god who would punish someone for the crimes of others is horrible.
If a god wanted all to be saved, they would. i.e omnipotence.
Catholic_defendant

Pro

In their pride and complacency, humans think that they need neither God nor the grace God offers, but tragedy, sorrow, and suffering can lead to transformation. Because this world is prelude and preparation for the afterlife, even a life filled with suffering is useful if it causes the person to turn to God and accept divine grace. This, Catholics believe, is a central fact of existence: that God uses everything, even suffering, to call people back to God. Offer your sufferings to God.
KhalifV

Con

I'm not prideful at all. God should be able to convince someone to go to him without inflicting pain.
Immoral acts of god: Killing 99.999% of the population (Noah's ark)
Having a child killed by a bear(really)
Having a father almost kill his son to prove loyalty
Having his son killed, so that he would save the population, FROM HIMSELF.
Commanding genocide.
THIS GOD IS MORALLY REPUGNANT.
This god lets innocent children starve and die. Even if this god existed, why would we worship him? He's a JERK.
Catholic_defendant

Pro

Please don't take things from the Bible literally and out of context. That's the reason there are priests to interpret for you. If you think God intended for people to suffer in the 1st place then I suggest you study Christianity more than Satanism. If God made everyone good, that would be against free will. Here are my questions:
1)Why don't you just kill yourself if yourself if there's no point in living?
2)What chemicals during the Big Bang created our intelligence?
3)How do you justify?
KhalifV

Con

LOL. I study theology and religion, that's probably why I'm an atheist.
1) I don't kill myself because my well-being is higher than 0 and I enjoy helping and loving others and raising their well-being. There's no objective point to living, so you have to make your own. My point to living, I have assigned myself is science. I study science everyday and find joy and utility in it.
2) Not enough space to answer, but we are the outcome of billions of ys of evolution.

Pro has not filfilled BoP.
Vote con.
Posted by Politicallion 3 years ago
Politicallion
This is not even a legible debate. You cannot be mud-slinging about other religions in just the topic itself. You must be ostracized and I wish that this debate is banned from DDO.
Posted by IndianaFrank 3 years ago
IndianaFrank
Simply because a billion people follow something doesn't make it right.

A couple months ago I watched the news when the Pope said that priests not being allowed to marry was simply a matter of policy and not church doctrine. His additional rules changes included if a priest gets a woman pregnant he would not be obligated to marry the woman, but would be expected to pay child support. But if someone from the congregation does that they would be excommunicated.... Catholic religion speaks with forked tongue...
Posted by Siladheil 3 years ago
Siladheil
http://www.debate.org...

Please check out this debate. Post what you think in the comments section. I don't have enought debates to vote in yours, but I would give points to CON.
Posted by Slinky5890 3 years ago
Slinky5890
It would have been easier to just state that Pro had the BoP of proving Catholicism is the only true religion, and that all others are false. Then again you did post convincing arguments regardless so, I mean, all power to ya.
Posted by Think.Deeper 3 years ago
Think.Deeper
Your welcome :)
Posted by KhalifV 3 years ago
KhalifV
Thanks :) and I KNOW! It's so hypocritical.
Posted by Think.Deeper 3 years ago
Think.Deeper
kalifv. You have a solid argument. I like your style. It is really blunt in your face clear.
The sad thing is most christians are blind to this regarding christianity but everyday
they value the same logic. Faith can be dangerous to your health. :)
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
Catholic_defendantKhalifVTied
Reasons for voting decision: con was only one to use sources and effectively rebut arguments
Vote Placed by Codedlogic 3 years ago
Codedlogic
Catholic_defendantKhalifVTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro failed to prove that Catholicism in the only true religion. Pro did not provide a logical argument for why there can be only one true religion AND that one true religion necessarily exists. Pro also failed to state the metrics for how one could determine which religion is true and did not apply any such metrics to the Catholic Church. Pro also completely failed to rebut Con's counter claims about Evil and Free Will.
Vote Placed by NathanDuclos 3 years ago
NathanDuclos
Catholic_defendantKhalifVTied
Reasons for voting decision: At least it was short. . . .
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 3 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
Catholic_defendantKhalifVTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was often fallacious (populum, antiquity). BOP unfilled.
Vote Placed by rings48 3 years ago
rings48
Catholic_defendantKhalifVTied
Reasons for voting decision: I am sorry but Pro didn't have an argument. The debate almost didn't even relate to "Catholicism is the only true religion". He needed to disprove other religions instead of the whole time trying to prove religion. Con gets points for sufficiently rebutting Pro's points of a God.
Vote Placed by YaHey 3 years ago
YaHey
Catholic_defendantKhalifVTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't fulfill their BoP and the only defense of their arguments were nonsensical strawmen (the questions in the last round).