JMMorin
Serac

Catholocism vs Protestantism/Mormonism

JMMorin

Pro

I am a Roman Catholic and I am tired of many who claim that Catholicism is not Christian. Many of these points that are Anti-Catholic are based off of what they heard their Pastor say and rely off of misconception of the Catholic Church. I welcome any Christian to please state why Catholics are not Christians. I do please ask any that are willing to participate to be educated and know that this is for conversion of anyone but this debate is to give others a clearer and purer view of what Catholicism is
Serac

Con

The proof is in the pudding, as it were. To view the clearest violation of Christendom we must first look, quite simply at the name "Christianity". With Jesus' title in it, we must assume that his word is the most important. Indeed, if he is the son of God, and thereby the most connected with Him, it follows that his word is the most important, and what he says is above everything anyone else has ever said, religious or not, being either God incarnate, or his son.

Now, to take this criticism to the catholic church, there are many clear violation of Jesus' teaching:

1. Material Wealth
The material wealth of the church is so substantial it is unbelievable. Billions and billions held up in gold, jewels and art. Jesus instructed to remove all wealth, and dedicate yourself to support the poor. To have grand, billionaire churches when there are people starving to death is a clear violation of Christ's commandments. After all, he was a carpenter, and a poor man who traveled around to preach.

2. Hierarchy
Jesus frequently criticised the Pharisees for their religious dominance, that they were more moral and closer to God than anyone else, and said the greatest was: The sinner who beat his chest outside the temple and declared he was unworthy. And: "He who is the smallest will be the greatest." I would hardly call the pope, or any cardinal, humble religiously, with all the wealth and deference.

These two points are my openers, being the most blatant disregarding of Christ's teachings, and, as far as I'm concerned, verifying the Lutheran claim that the Catholics prize the "church above the scripture". The protestants are far less concerned with the wealth, and the ranks, and the rules, and therefore are closer.

Mormonism, however, is not a christian denomination, and so I shan't discuss it.
JMMorin

Pro

JMMorin forfeited this round.
Serac

Con

Serac forfeited this round.
JMMorin

Pro

JMMorin forfeited this round.
Serac

Con

Serac forfeited this round.