MelissaCutey
Lukas8

Cats Are Better Than Dogs

Lukas8

MelissaCutey

Pro

This debate is about cats and dogs. Good luck to Con.

Cats are smarter than dogs as they know what to do at different times. Cats are known to be able to deal with their own wastes so as to not affect our daily lives and routines as they can manage themselves except for eating, drinking and bathing. https://www.youtube.com...
Lukas8

Con

Helaas I wasn't on DDO for a long time, so I'm not so fresh currently.

Never mind that, I believe that Canis Lupus Familiaris (domestic dog) & Felis Catus (domestic cat) aren't really supreme to each other. I personally like both. Therefore this debate is a joke debate to me. In my opinion, this is a philosophical issue, because different species have different properties. But I'll take the Dogs' side.
I wish good luck to Pro.
MelissaCutey

Pro

Thank you. Well, cats are smarter than dogs as they can "always care of themselves well" and do not drool.
Lukas8

Con

I don"t know where exactly to begin. But first lets me answer your arguments:
-cats are smarter
-cats are better at taking care of themselves

Let me begin at the "smartness" of these two domesticated species. Its hard to measure that. Because there is a problem. Cats are mostly solitary animals and Dogs are mostly social animals. This is a vital importance. We also need to know that both species have adapted to different stresses in their evolution and later domestication. Dogs usually do outperform cats on most animal IQ tests and have larger vocabularies and bigger brains, but dog enthusiasts shouldn't be too complacent. Cats have almost twice as many neurons in their cerebral cortex. The cerebral cortex is considered the part of the brain responsible for learning and memory, among other things. Cats have 300 million neurons, while dogs have only 160 million. Also, dogs' brains, in fact, have been continually growing while cats' brains have remained virtually unchanged since they were first domesticated approximately 8,000 years ago, according to a recent study at Oxford University. The reason: Dogs are more social than cats, and the more social the animal, the bigger the brain, and, therefore, the smarter the animal. And the brain gap is widening, because dogs spend a lot of their time navigating the intricacies of their and our social worlds, which takes a lot of grey matter. Dogs are therefore overall smarter, however Cats are smarter on their fields, while dogs are smarter elsewhere.

About drooling, Its true that cats do drool less than dogs. But Cats can also drool ( but usually it"s a disease symptom) and Dog drooling is varying; sometimes its pathological and sometimes its dependent on their breed.

While domestication has happened, dogs mostly lost their ability to take care of themselves, its visible at almostly every domesticated species. But we"re seeing an amazing picture. Many Abandoned Dogs ("Wild Dogs", partly including dingoes) have united very similar as the wolves do. All over the world abandoned dogs unite in a pack (just like wolves do), create a territory and a hierarchy (just like wolves do), but unlike Canis Lupus they thrive in the human civilisation. But again its very dependent on their breed ( e.g. a Sphynx cat will have problems to survive the winter in Norway). Dingoes were a sort of a pet of the Aborigines, but today they are thriving in their territory.

Morphology of Cats is specialised for individual surviving, meanwhile Dogs are specialised for haunting in groups.

I believe that this is a philosophical problem, because of the Cat/Dog person dilemma, but in my opinion we should love every pet species equally (I"ve got a Dog, plus Cats and other dogs in my area know and like me), we just need to realise that every species is different.

I might forgot something, but i"ll probably remember until the next time.

Note: Dog was the FIRST animal to be domesticated by our species.

Important sources:

[1] http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Good Luck.
MelissaCutey

Pro

MelissaCutey forfeited this round.
Lukas8

Con

Con has forfeited.
Vote Placed by salam.morcos 1 year ago
salam.morcos
MelissaCuteyLukas8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff