kaylastep
beatmaster2012

Cats Are Better Than Dogs

kaylastep

Pro

I believe that cats are way better then dogs. They are the most independent, smartest domesticated animals we have ever seen. Dogs are so dependent upon their master for everything that it is hard for them to function without them. Cats on the other hand can be left alone with food and water without their owner for days and still be able to survive and not get themselves hurt.
beatmaster2012

Con

I accept the debate and will convince the audience that cats are not better than dogs.

"They are the most independent, smartest domesticated animals we have ever seen."
Cats are certainly independent, but this doesn't mean dogs can't be. Let's turn the argument around and say dogs are more loyal than cats. Dogs are proven to have bigger brains than cats because they're generally more social pets than cats. For the first time scientists have charted the evolutionary history of the brain across different groups of mammals over 60 million years and identified huge variations in how their brains have changed. They found that there was a link between the size of an animal’s brain in relation to the rest of its body and how socially active it was.

"Dogs are so dependant upon their masters for everything that it's hard for them to function without them."
Remember that dogs too have a survival instinct. They're predators. Until humans found them, they were ruthless killers who knew how to outsmart their prey. Dogs are nowadays used in the police force to hunt down criminals and search for drugs, something a cat is unable to do.
kaylastep

Pro

Dogs can be independent. However, cats can be left alone for days at home and take care of themselves if left food and water. You can trust that when you come home after a week's vacation, they will also not have torn your house apart as opposed to when you leave a dog at home. Cats also clean themselves in which dogs do not. Cats clean their entire fur and their paws whereas with a dog, we would have to bathe them, comb their hair, and dry them off.

I agree with my opponent that dogs are more sociable then cats are. However, I also know that being very sociable isn't always the best thing. Since dogs are more sociable, they tend to jump on whomever enters their home. Sometimes they knock people over if they are big in stature. Whereas, a cat will come to check out who is in their home and make an appearance. Also, cats are not anti-social. They are just more careful with whom they allow to pet them or play with them. If a cat senses danger on an individual, they will not just jump on or play with anyone. They will stay away. Cats actually can be very lovable animals to those which show them the same affection in return.

Also, though dogs are used in the police force to help with sniffing out drugs or identifying criminals, this as my opponent says causes them to revert to their "killer" instincts which makes them a more aggressive animal. It has been proved that there are more reports of dogs biting people rather then cats.

Also, dogs are begging animals. Whenever they want something, they will bark, whine and cry for long hours until you give them what you want. If they do not get what they want, being that they are smart animals as my opponent states, they will seek revenge. They will take things from you and chew them up. They will urinate on your floors and even tip over food and water bowls. I have seen these things occur on more then one occasion with my neighbor's dogs, my family's dogs, dogs of my friends and my own dog.

Another reason why I feel that cats are better then dogs is because dogs are extremely territorial. When you raise a dog for a long amount of time in your household, they aren't as accepting of having other pets in their homes. They bark and snarl at other dogs, cats, and any other animals. Sometimes they act this way towards other people who come over as well. Therefore, it causes strangers to feel unsafe entering homes of those who have dogs. This is why we commonly hear people ask if their companions have dogs, can they please put them away during their stay? Nobody is willing to take the risk of being attacked by someone's dog because sometimes a very friendly, calm, lovable dog may get out of control and act out of his nature at random.
beatmaster2012

Con

The most of your situations seem to depend on the master rather than the dog itself. I have both a dog and a cat at home and I will talk mostly out of my personal experience, although I can't prove it of course.

"They will also not have torn your house apart as opposed to when you leave a dog at home."
This is rather an example of poor breeding rather than the animal itself. My dog is perfectly capable of leaving the house in once piece when we are gone for a vacation. About the cleaning part I agree.

"They tend to jump on whomever enters their home."
Again this is subjective. Some dogs do that, some don't. It's mostly how they're raised, and the personality of the dog itself. He can be happy to see someone or offensive when he thinks his master is in danger.

"This causes them to revert to their killer instincts which makes them a more aggressive animal."
Firm isn't always equal to agressive. The police force is taught to act firm when needed, but they stay perfectly in control. It doesn't make them agressive people, just effective. Just like with dogs.

"It's been proven that there are more reports of dogs biting than cats."
This is because dog bites are faster lethal than cat bites because dogs have stronger jaws. Also biting is a form of attacking cats usually don't do, they rely on their paws.

"Dogs are begging animals. Whenever they want something, they will bark and cry until you give them what they want."
Again, this is subjective. This is usually when a dog gets spoiled by the master and gets used to getting everything he wants. If a master shows dominance and teaches the dog its place, it will accept it has to wait for his food to come.

"When you raise a dog for a long amount of time in your household, they aren't as accepting of having other pets in their home."
Another subjective statement. Although my dog can be a bit of a wuss, it's perfectly fine with living with another cat. He knows not to bother her but sometimes tries to when the cat slaps him and then it's okay again.
But that's just my dog. I know there are lots of dogs who do have this problem. This is because dogs are protective for their master, whenever they feel their master is in danger, they will act defensively. This is certainly not a bad thing.
kaylastep

Pro

"My dog is perfectly capable of leaving the house in once piece when we are gone for a vacation. About the cleaning part I agree."

My opponent agrees with me regarding my remarks about a clean up being required after allowing a dog to stay home compared to a cat. My point was to state that cats do not require this extra clean up. The possibility of leaving either animal home alone is a definite. However, having to clean after them is another story. With cats, there won't be a need to clean up because they don't meddle with things they aren't supposed to as much as dogs do. Dogs always have a need to find something to entertain themselves.

"Some dogs do that, some don't. It's mostly how they're raised, and the personality of the dog itself. He can be happy to see someone or offensive when he thinks his master is in danger."

It's not subjective because I did not refer to them jumping on people in either a negative or positive way, but in a neutral way. Whether a dog is happy or not when they jump on someone does not mean that people are okay with it. Some dogs are absolutely too big to be jumping on people in any circumstance because they will take you down with them. A master can a train a dog as much as they want to, however, dog's respond to commands. Therefore, by the time their master tells them to sit, they've already jumped on the individual.

"Firm isn't always equal to agressive. The police force is taught to act firm when needed, but they stay perfectly in control. It doesn't make them agressive people, just effective. Just like with dogs."

Dogs are trained their best. However, the dogs take certain acts by people. A video on youtube, shows how a well trained police dog like Pedro can attack someone because of how well trained he is. He attacked a news reporter because he put two hands around his neck and leaned over him slightly. He had no intentions on harming the animal. However, based on how "well trained" he was, he took it as a threatening situation and snapped at the reporter.

"...dogs have stronger jaws. Also biting is a form of attacking cats usually don't do, they rely on their paws."

Regardless of whether it's biting or scratching, a cat does not attack a person more than a dog does.

"…when a dog gets spoiled by the master and gets used to getting everything he wants. If a master shows dominance and teaches the dog its place, it will accept it has to wait for his food to come."

Dogs can be raised once again to do one thing for a master. But with a lack of their presence, a dog reverts back to its animal instincts. You can discipline a dog over and over for begging, however, they will still do it. My dog is punished when she does the wrong thing and yet she continues to whine when she's locked away or not given a treat.

My stance: "When you raise a dog for a long amount of time in your household, they aren't as accepting of having other pets in their home."

Very opionated perspective: Another subjective statement. Although my dog can be a bit of a wuss, it's perfectly fine with living with another cat. He knows not to bother her but sometimes tries to when the cat slaps him and then it's okay again. But that's just my dog. I know there are lots of dogs who do have this problem. This is because dogs are protective for their master, whenever they feel their master is in danger, they will act defensively. This is certainly not a bad thing.

My argument here still stands as my opponent even has agreed with me.
beatmaster2012

Con

beatmaster2012 forfeited this round.
kaylastep

Pro

My opponent has not replied on my previous comments, therefore my argument still stands. A forfeit of a round should result in a negative impact upon one's overall debate.
beatmaster2012

Con

I'm sorry for the forfeit. I was away from the computer for a while and since the responce time is only a day I couldn't make it in time. I will now rebute your arguments.

"My opponent agrees with me regarding my remarks about a clean up being required after allowing a dog to stay home."
Actually I was referring to a cat being able to clean itself and a dog not, not the house itself. Just to clear that up.

"I did not refer to them jumping on people in either a negative or positive way, but in a neutral way."
You were obviously being negative about it since you later state: Some dogs are absolutely too big to be jumping on people in any circumstance because they will take you down with them. I wouldn't take that as a good thing.

"A video on youtube, shows how well a trained dog can attack someone because how well trained he is."
If you can search long enough you can see even the cutest kittens killing people. Of course you can find this on youtube because if the dog didn't attack them, it wouldn't be worth filming it, would it? My point is you shouldn't apply a mere youtube video on all the police dogs. This is obviously and exception, otherwise it wouldn't be on youtube.

"You can discipline a dog over and over for begging, but they will still do it."
I've found a nice instruction to stop your dog from whining permanently, you might want to read it if you're having problems with yours
http://dog-anxiety.com...

kaylastep

Pro

It's okay. I know it is a short time frame and the judges will probably take that into consideration as well. Welcome back.

"You were obviously being negative about it since you later state: Some dogs are absolutely too big to be jumping on people in any circumstance because they will take you down with them. I wouldn't take that as a good thing."

Actually I wasn't trying to be negative towards dogs. However, most dogs whether they are trained well or not tend to jump on, rub on, or bother people even if they are just trying to say hello. However, my point was just to say that I believe cats are better in general because they don't tend to jump on people at all for any reason.

"If you can search long enough you can see even the cutest kittens killing people. Of course you can find this on youtube because if the dog didn't attack them, it wouldn't be worth filming it, would it? My point is you shouldn't apply a mere youtube video on all the police dogs. This is obviously and exception, otherwise it wouldn't be on youtube."

Actually, a youtube video is a very reliable source nowadays in society. Many people actually use them as reference in research reports and college papers. This source is just as good as any other because it is a real story. Yes, any incident is worth filming. I'm sure you could've found a video about cats attacking online as well. My point for picking this particular video was just to show how even the most well-trained dogs can do wrong because at the end of the day they result to their animal instincts.
Here is also an article about a man in Texas who was bitten by a K-9 dog.

http://www.chron.com...

"I've found a nice instruction to stop your dog from whining permanently, you might want to read it if you're having problems with yours."

I will take a look at it. However, this comment does no really refute anything.

I think my opponent shouldn't point out how long or not it took me to do my research or what I should be reading because it can be taken the wrong way if read a certain way. I think those statements are actually highly unnecessary. My opponent should remember that conduct is a portion of the voting process on debates. Thank You.

To conclude my debate, I want to point out that my opponent failed to critically refute my arguments and he has no arguments really that uphold. I have made all of my claims clearly and they still stand accordingly. I also would like to thank my opponent for this debate.

Cats are absolutely better then dogs.
beatmaster2012

Con

beatmaster2012 forfeited this round.
Posted by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
Man! I can't believe I missed the voting period! :( Pro should have won.
Posted by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
http://www.messybeast.com...
They have been shown to exhibit greater problem solving abilities than dogs. Tests conducted at the University of Michigan and the Department of Animal Behaviour at the American Museum of Natural History have concluded that while canine memory last no more than 5 minutes, a cat's recall can last as long as 16 hours, exceeding even that of monkeys and orangutans. Though cats have a memory that can be up to 200 times more retentive than a dog's, they will only remember what they consider to be useful, and therefore their memory can be quite selective.
Posted by beatmaster2012 4 years ago
beatmaster2012
I'd like to know where you got that IQ list, because I have found one with no cats in it but a Husky.
Posted by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
@Con, you claim that most of it's subjective. It is subjective, but dogs have A HIGHER CHANCE of doing it.
Posted by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
To Con, why does social mean smart? Cats have higher IQ's. In the animal kingdom, the only animals that have highter IQ's are monkeys and apes.