eltigrey
BlackVoid

Cats are Better than dogs

BlackVoid

eltigrey

Pro

I believe that cats are better than dogs, not in a fight, but as a pet. Its my first debate, but don't be afraid to go all out. Thank you.
BlackVoid

Con

Thanks to eltigray for the interesting topic. I actually much prefer cats to dogs, but couldnt pass this up.

I await my opponents opening arguments.
eltigrey

Pro

I apologize about only including three rounds, I will make sure to include 5 later.
Here we go.

I believe that cats are better than dogs, because they can take care of them selves, you don't have to work as much as would for a dog, and in some cases they express the about the same amount of love that a dog does. A cat is a better choice if you have to get up early to go to work, and come back from work late. Dogs need a lot of attention, when your there or not, while cats crave attention almost only when your around. Sure, cats bring in occasional rats, or dead birds, but its not as bad as doggy doodoo on the front porch, or if your lucky the living room carpet. Shedding is also a pain, having to wake up with hair in your mouth, while cats can clean themselves. While dogs crave an occasional bath, and a teeth brushing, cats......well, maybe once a year. I have nothing against dogs, there great, dog is an equal pet if you have the time an the money, and if your enjoy the presence of dogs more than cats. Cats is the definite pick, if you want a friend around the house that you don't have to constantly attend to.

Just My View, Good Luck
BlackVoid

Con

Thanks to my opponent for his opening remarks. I'll give my arguments before refuting Pro's.

C1: Dogs are medically beneficial to their owners.

A study by Dr. Deborah Wells explains that dog owners empirically live longer and healthier lives than cat owners (1). This is due to a variety of factors, but mainly due to dogs encouraging owners to exercise and their ability to detect certain medical problems before they become prevalent.

"As well as lower blood pressure and cholesterol, she said dog-owners suffered fewer minor ailments and serious medical problems. There was also the suggestion that dogs could aid recovery from serious illnesses such as heart attacks, and act as 'early warning' to detect an approaching epileptic seizure. The ownership of a dog can also lead to increases in physical activity and facilitate the development of social contacts, which may enhance both physiological and psychological human health in a more indirect manner."

C2: Dogs learn tricks

I think its fairly obvious that its easier to teach dogs tricks than cats. Cats mostly just want to sleep and slouch around (lol) but dogs are much more likely to get engaged in something. While cats can possibly learn to do some things, most people don't even attempt it and it would take much longer anyway. In some cases, dogs can learn to do really cool things, like fetch the newspaper (2), open a door (3), or even grab you a beer! (4)

C3: Dogs are more outgoing

You can pretty much take a dog anywhere. They don't really care where they're going as long as they're going somewhere. They greatly enjoy both the outdoors and indoors, contrary to cat which for the most part are inside pets.

Also, dogs get you more chicks! The attractiveness of a dog can end up being projected onto yourself (5). But the most important thing is that they can draw girls' attention, thus giving you a chance to engage in conversation, ask them out and eventually swoop in for the kill. Whatever that means.

With that said, I'll give more arguments for dogs as I go over my opponent's.

1. " (cats) can take care of them selves, you don't have to work as much as would for a dog"

Dogs do a surprisingly good job of taking care of themselves as well. They clean themselves just as regularly as cats. Now, dogs do generally get dirtier, but this is because they're outside more often, so it isn't a reflection on them.

They also learn fairly quickly how to tell you they need to go outside. Some dogs run around randomly, some bark, some nudge you, but they all have some way of letting you know they need to go. If you leave a dog in a room with some bones for a period of time, then do the same with a cat, they will both be roughly the same when you come back.

2. " in some cases they express the about the same amount of love that a dog does."

This is actually an argument for me, since he specifically said that cats are only as affetionate as dogs in "some cases". This tacitly concedes that on balance, dogs are better in this area.

3. "A cat is a better choice if you have to get up early to go to work, and come back from work late."

Most people work standard 40 a week hours because employers don't like paying overtime. So being gone all day doesn't apply very often. For people who work standard hours, dogs are fine because you can just put them in a kennel while you're gone. They actually don't mind it that much and will usually just sleep it off. If you have a smaller dog, you don't even have to lock them up because they can't reach any stuff you wouldn't want to be broken.

In any case, you don't always have to be with your dog because they'll just sleep off the time you're not there.

4. Pro brings up that dogs can poop on the carpet. Well so can cats. I've had several and believe me, they're not always accurate :/

But you can turn this argument too, because its better for a dog to pee on the carpet than cats. Cat urine is extremely strong and over time can resemble ammonia. Its incredibly difficult to remove from the carpet because the urine crystallizes over time, which makes removing the entire patch of carpet necessary in some cases (6).

5. Both dogs and cats shed. The good thing about dogs is that they're more susceptible to "unusual" methods of hair removal. For instance, you can take the hose portion of a vacuum cleaner and go all over the dog with it to remove hair. You may think it would freak them out, but they're too simple minded to comprehend danger from it. If thats too extreme, you can just take one of those rollers you use to get hairs off your clothes, and use it on the dog. Also, there are several brands of dog food which are specialized to reduce shedding.

I thank my opponent again for his response and look forward to his next one.

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk...
2. http://bitURL.net...
3. http://bitURL.net...
4. http://bitURL.net...
5. http://amog.com...
6. http://www.cat-urine.net...

eltigrey

Pro

Excellent job so far. I'm sure you can already tell I lack the literacy of a graduate or "Talented Literate" (I tend to lack in grammar also). But I will do my best at this debate. And a great job of counter exampling all of my points, I'm glad I'm getting butt kicked, props to you. I'll mark the first round as a pilot, so don't recognize it as part of the debate. If voters choose to penalize me for it that is perfectly okay

Alright lets debate

P1: Cats treat guests better

Sometimes when you walk into a friends house, a dog, is waiting there ready to bark, jump up and down, and say "Give me attention, Give me attention" while cats choose not to been seen, and observe from afar. This is a little more relaxing than a dog bouncing around like a ball.

P2: Cats smell better than Dogs

As Much as dogs clean them selves like cats, cats tend not to leave an odor. You would be able to tell when you walk in a house, that a dog lives there. Unlike cats, who don't leave an odor, when you walk in a house, you will never know that a cat lives there until you see it. Sometimes, the odor that dogs release will make the house uninviting.

P3: Cats do not need to be walked

Evan in a booming thunderstorm, snow, hail, or sleet, a dog will need a walk. Cats can choose when ever they need to get outside, or get exercise. This is very helpful for you, seeing that you may need to attend to more important matters, or you just don't want to go outside in harsh weather.

P4: Cats are very courteous to there owners (Same With Dogs, Just a point)

As much as you don't like the occasional lot of dead rats, mice, and birds that a cat will bring in, it shows there care and devotion to there owner. It shows your cat is thankful and wants to return the favor, even though it may not be as perfumed.

I'm looking forward to be overturned once again

(1.) Now, I read your article on the dog owners living longer than cat owners, and I was very impressed. But there was one point that I did not necessarily see, and it was the percentage of dog owners that recognize the behavior of a dog acting towards them differently. I have no proof for this counter example, just a point I thought I might bring up.

(2.) "(Dogs) I think its fairly obvious that its easier to teach dogs tricks than cats. Cats mostly just want to sleep and slouch around (lol) but dogs are much more likely to get engaged in something" Now you have me at the trick part. It is a lot more difficult to teach cat tricks, as they are lazy listeners, but I negate the part where you say "dogs are much more likely to get engaged in something." Cats are very playful, and get engaged a lot, and if you have ever used a laser pointer on a cat you know what I mean. Dogs on the other hand dogs most of the time only want to play (not necessarily play, but fetch) if they are receiving a reward. Now quoting directly from a website "While a dog will chase a ball, he has no interest in whatever that flashy, red thing is. Why pursue something if he can't fetch it for a reward?" Cats will play with a laser pointer, until they catch it (lol not really but you get my point).

(3.) "Dogs are more outgoing" Cats are outgoing to. They are courteous when bringing back dead animals, they play, socialize with other cats, enjoy both outdoors and indoors. But you pinned me in the arse with ladies thing, maybe that's a good reason to get a dog.

Counter Examples........of the Counter Examples

(1.) "(Dogs) They also learn fairly quickly how to tell you they need to go outside."

When cats find there litter box, they don't need to tell you that they need to go weather its outside, or inside.

(2.) Yes, point to the dog on this one, some cats are lazy, and self-absorbed, but most like to snuggle, cuddle, or bond.

(3.) " (dogs) If you have a smaller dog, you don't even have to lock them up because they can't reach any stuff you wouldn't want to be broken."

Yes, I was waiting for this. Small dogs can do just as much damage as big dogs, which is what most owners/adopters discount for. weather its chewing up your couch, or those new socks your just bought. I also find small dogs to be more loud and annoying, but that's an opinion, so moving on.

Good luck in the next round, you may feel free to add more to your debate. (If its possible to give me advice for later debates please do so and the end of yours, it has nothing to do with the debate)

http://bit.ly...

http://bit.ly...

http://bit.ly...

http://bit.ly...

http://bit.ly...

BlackVoid

Con

Thanks to my opponent once again for the fun debate and being civil.

I'll start with the new arguments my opponent brought up.

1. Cats treat guests better

This is really subjective based on the guest. Some guests really love animals and would love to have a dog give them attention when they walk in. Conversely, some guests don't like them as much and will prefer a cat, which will hang back like my opponent says. Since this point just comes down to guest preferences, its basically a wash.

2. Cats smell better

Smelly dogs are generally only a problem if you either have a big dog or let it outside a lot on its own. Inside dogs are less smelly because they don't get around dirt and stuff as much. So the problem can be alleviated somewhat.

Also, remember the point I made about cat urine earlier. Its astronomically worse than any smell a dog will put out and takes an excessive amount of time to remove. While cats don't pee on the carpet often, the magnitude of the problem when it does happen makes it a valid concern.

3. Cats don't need to be walked

First, I'd say that this isn't necessarily a good thing. Remember the study I gave earlier which showed that dog owners are healthier than cat owners, and one reason is that they encourage exercise through taking walks. So the fact that dogs require walks is actually a good thing since it provides medical benefits.

Pro brings up that crazy weather can happen which prevents you from walking the dog. However, walks aren't the only way to give it exercise. There's several other ways, such as

1. Throwing toys around the house. They'll go chase it and, with practice, will bring it right back to be thrown again.

2. Put a toy in its mouth and try to rip it away. Dogs love this.

3. Give it a bone. That will occupy it for a long time.

4. Buy a laser pointer. Flash it across the room and the dog will chase it. This requires minimal effort. Both cats cats
and dogs enjoy this. Pro would say at some point that dogs aren't into lasers, but just go to youtube and you'll
see all kinds of videos that dispove this.

4. Cats are courteous???

Ok, cats don't chase down birds and mice because they want to impress their owners. They chase them down because they're hunters and want to eat them. In some cases, the might see a mouse as a play toy. Either way, its just instinct and is in no way related to the owner ://

Moving back to my arguments,

1. Medical benefits

The argument that dog owners live healthier and longer than cat owners has been agreed to. I'm not sure what Pro's rebuttal here actually is. He refers to dogs "acting towards (owners) differently". I don't see how this relates to improved cardiovascular health or lifespan, so I'll just move on.

Speaking of lifespan, since its been agreed to that dog owners life longer and healthier than cat owners, that would seem like a pretty darn good reason to prefer dogs.

2. Dogs can do tricks

Pro spends most of his time here talking about how cats can get engaged in laser pointers and dogs can't. But when I said that dogs are "more likely to get engaged" I was referring to them being able to learn tricks faster because they enjoy learning new things.

Note that he has agreed to my argument about dogs being superior at learning tricks, especially the one about dogs fetching you stuff from the fridge. Vote Con if you don't want to ever have to get off the couch to get a beer again.

3. Dogs are more outgoing

Pro didn't address my argument that dogs enjoy going to other places and riding in the car. You generally have to leave the cat at the house.

He agrees that dogs are chick magnets. So vote Con if you like hot chicks!

Pro's original case:

1. Cats take care of themselves

Pro didn't refute that dogs clean themselves too.

As far as letting dogs outside goes, its true that cats don't need to tell you that they need to be let out. But its not like letting dogs outside to go pee is a real chore. Its just a matter of opening a door...

2. Pro first says "in some cases cats express the about the same amount of love that a dog does." Last round he says "most like to snuggle, cuddle, or bond". This seems contradictory.

Either way, dogs are better in this area because almost all of them are energetic and loyal to their owners. Cats focus more on sleeping than anything else.

3. Pro says dogs chew things. Well cats claw things. If you have a cat, hope that you don't have any leather furniture, because it will be torn up in weeks.

Besides, you can just give a dog a bone to prevent him from chewing things it's not supposed to.

4. Dropped. Both cats and dogs can poop on the carpet. Cat pee is infinitely worse than dog pee because its near-impossible to remove without completely replacing the patch of carpet.

5. Dropped. You can solve a dog's shedding problems.

Dog owners are empirically healthier than cat owners, and this seems like an independent reason to prefer them. They can also be taught to grab you stuff from the fridge. So dogs support your laziness. The risk of cats peeing on the carpet is particularly troublesome because of its intense smell and difficulty of removal

Finally, he's agreed that dogs are chick magnets. So even if I lost every other argument, I should at least win the heterosexual male vote :)

Thanks for the entertaining debate once again.

Posted by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Oh, and I forgot to mention, Pro really held his own against an experienced debater. Nice job! The only thing I would suggest is to use more sources to back up your claims and to cite them right after your claim so the audience knows which claim is made where. If the debate was good enough (like this one), you should be prepared for the fact that the voters may read your sources to verify the information.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
1) Medically beneficial: Con's source makes a cause-corelation fallacy. It was done by a psychologist, not a dog expert, so she can't possibly claim with any real conviction that "dog-owners lead healthier lives." The only reason she gives is that pets encourage physical and social activity which could of course apply to cats as well. Pro provides no rebuttal so Con gets this point.

2) Tricks: Nice youtube videos! More practical benefits shown by Con than Pro.

3) Outgoing: Con's source actually mentions that cats attract "chicks" as well. An interesting point to note is that Pro said "cat's don't NEED to be walked." The owner can still walk them and get the required health benefits.

4) Taking care of themselves: Purely individual opinion. Con elaborated on his point more than Pro.

5) Amount of love: Concession by Pro

6) Late from work: Individual opinions but Con provides more justification for his argument.

7) Poop: Con proves that cat urine is more difficult to remove. Pro just asserts that cats leave no odor. Con's source is more reliable.

8) Guests: Pro assumes relaxing is better than a warm welcome, but I see his point. I hate pets and would much prefer that they keep to themselves.

Overall, the debate was really fun to read and both debaters provided an interesting debate. I felt I could be unbiased as I hate cats and dogs equally but overall Con provided a lot more reasoning and justification for his points than Pro did. Maybe I should do a debate on whether cats are WORSE than dogs. Sorry about lashing out against pets. I am just talking about the pets and not the quality of this debate which was actually quite good.
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
My cat knows tricks and brings me dead rodents on a regular basis. Just sayin' =)
Posted by Lickdafoot 5 years ago
Lickdafoot
v meant to say "dog lover"
Posted by Lickdafoot 5 years ago
Lickdafoot
neat debate. i grew up a dog owner, but as i've gotten older, i've come to like cats more. so i see reasoning for both sides. i'll be voting shortly!
Vote Placed by dappleshade 5 years ago
dappleshade
eltigreyBlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was such a cute debate :D Pro should have mentioned vet fees!
Vote Placed by Kinesis 5 years ago
Kinesis
eltigreyBlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: I was convinced by Con's very implicit reference to necrophilia. Also, he had solid arguments and evidence that wasn't disputed. Also, I own dogs and thus am biased and would have voted Con even if Con's rounds had consisted of 'I like to kill babies and eat them. Vote for me and I'll kill more babies.'
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
eltigreyBlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: There were so many great points brought up from either side. I evaluated primarily based on who had the stronger arguments on balance, and that was Con. Elaborated in comments section.
Vote Placed by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
eltigreyBlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct was fine on both sides and Pro's marked spelling/grammar improvement from the first round saved him from a loss there. Arguments were clearly in Con's favor, though, as were the sources. In all, a more well-rounded case was made for dogs over cats. The positives for cats were presented largely as exceptions rather than the rule.
Vote Placed by Mestari 5 years ago
Mestari
eltigreyBlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: There are arguments on both sides about the convenience of having a cat over a dog or vice versa, however neither side gives much weight to which of these arguments is the most important. However, we see a clear medical benefit drawn by the Con without reciprocal benefits proposed by the Pro.
Vote Placed by Lickdafoot 5 years ago
Lickdafoot
eltigreyBlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con seemed to show the case for dogs more effectively through the medical benefits, tricks, outgoingness and refuted more of pros points such as not needing to be walked, courtesy. as a side note, cats do bring their prey to their owners as gifts. http://alexadry.hubpages.com/hub/Why-Cats-Bring-Live-Prey-Home