Alchemind
tulle

Cats are Superior Pets to Dogs

tulle

Alchemind

Pro

When it comes down to domestication, cats are clearly the superior animal.

Let me get two things out of the way here: 1. No, a cat cant bark and attack an intruder breaking into your home. 2. Yes, dogs are smarter than cats. First off, 1. If you rely on a pet to help defend your home you area coward and 2., Intelligence-wise, that doesnt matter so much when your dog is being a bad dog. A very bad dog!

The facts speak for themselves:
- Cats cost less to maintain
- Cats dont beg for your attention, and if you like that then you need a gf/bf.
- Cats dont start a **** storm when someone comes over
- Dogs are smelly, cats are clean and naturally insect repellent.
- Numerous video's on Youtube outweigh how much funnier cats are than dogs
- Dogs need your approval, which is a sign of spiritual weakness. Cats dont need your approval, they are naturally independent bad-asses. *shades*
tulle

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for instigating this debate and wish no hard feelings on cat-lovers everywhere :)

Pro’s Case

[1] Cats cost less to maintain.

It is true that dogs cost about $200 more per year to maintain. [http://www.canadianliving.com...] However, I hope that by the end of my round, my opponent and the reader will see that the benefits of owning a dog far exceeds a couple hundred dollars.

[2] Cats don’t beg for your attention.

This is actually a point for why cats are inferior as a family pet. Children prefer play and cats are less playful than dogs.

[3] Cats don’t start a ****storm when someone comes over.

My opponent has not shown how this makes cats a superior pet. Perhaps people enjoy being greeted enthusiastically when they come home, rather than with the disdain and indifference that cats display. [ http://www.vgmemes.com...]

[4] Dogs are smelly; cats are clean and naturally insect repellent.

My opponent has not provided proof that this is true.

[5] Youtube videos about cats are funnier than those about dogs.

Again, my opponent does not provide proof of this, nor does he explain how it makes cats a superior pet.

[6] Dogs need your approval, which is a sign of spiritual weakness.

I do not see how this point is relevant to my opponent’s case.

My Case

I contend that there is a reason dogs are referred to as “man’s [or woman’s] best friend”, and that they are superior pets than are cats.

[1] Dogs are more diverse.

When looking for a cat as a pet, who cares which one you get? They’re all relatively the same size with relatively the same personality. However, choosing a dog is a more involved and personal process. Dogs have different sizes and address the needs of more people. They also have different personalities. In this regard, dogs are the superior pet because they are able to fulfill the diverse needs of a greater number of people. [http://www.answersingenesis.org...]

[2] Children are more allergic to cats.

Dogs are a superior family pet because children are more allergic to cats. [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...] Cats also trigger asthma more often than dogs [http://allergicliving.com...].

[3] Dogs are natural antidepressants.

While numerous studies have been conducted to show that owning a pet lessens the symptoms of Depression, [http://www.webmd.com...], dogs have been shown specifically to be a significant cause of this [http://www.fyiliving.com...]

The first article outlines the benefits of having a pet that buffer against Depression, some of them being uncomplicated love, companionship, social interaction, and touch. My opponent has admitted in his first round that you don’t get as much attention from cats as you do from dogs (His second, third, and sixth points). Additionally, dogs require their owners to partake in physical activity by taking them for walks. The benefits of physical activity (like the release of endorphins, our brain’s natural antidepressant) have been well-documented. [http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca...] [http://www.cdc.gov...]

There are numerous studies on the benefits of playing with dogs on your psychological well-being, and dogs, not cats, are used to treat stress and loneliness/isolation. [http://en.wikipedia.org...]

While cats may cost less to maintain, can we really put a value of $200 a year on our psychological well-being? Dogs provide unconditional love and attention. They are help improve our mental health in a way that cats do not. Children are more allergic to cats and so they do not always make the best family pet. And lastly, dogs are more diverse and the process of choosing one is more personalized and unique than the process of choosing a cat. Cats are pretty interchangeable. For this reason, a dog is a superior pet.
Alchemind

Pro

I'd like to thank tulle for her spirited debate. I find many of her points valid and with good merit, and while I enjoy her company and don't mind her being African-American, it is clear to me and her record of 8 wins and 1 loss that she purposely seeks newcomers to take advantage of those in whom may not have practiced debating on this site before. For this, she should be ashamed.

tulle makes a wonderful point on the diversity of dogs both in shape and personality, and I agree with this. The greater diversity of people (who like dogs) simply fits better with a greater diversity of dogs, and this leads me to a point I'd like to make about the emotional predisposition of those inclined to like a dog or cat better. The "Dog or Cat Person" mentality often tells alot of the individual in question. As humans we simply seek out characteristics in these two animals that they can identify with and are more compatible in the fashion, so when we tend to look at the idea "Diversity fits a greater demographic of dogs" then we come to the natural conclusion that it simply would not matter at all is you don't have a tendency to like dogs (diversity argument is not applicable to the demographic in question). As a formal approach I will cite the Humane Societies statistics in whether or not someone chose to have a pet (one or the other, not both). "Thirty-nine percent of U.S. households own at least one dog. Thirty-three percent of U.S. households own at least one cat." [1] Why would more people own dogs? Because they are dog people. What does this have to do with the thesis of my debate? Little more than a footnote over a thesis that has next to nothing to do with my proposition: Cats rule and dogs, while very cute and I have the utmost respect for dogs crapping on your lawn constantly, are simply an inferior pet on a personal basis. This is not a demographics debate as quantity does not mean quality.

I think that tulles comments on "dogs specifically being shown" to be natural anti-depressant refers to my above point on the personal factors of owning one dog or another. The University of Texas conducted a study in which a very general statistic shown "Dog people were generally about 15 percent more extraverted, 13 percent more agreeable and 11 percent more conscientious than cat people. Cat people were generally about 12 percent more neurotic and 11 percent more open than dog people." [4] When you combine this aspect with the link provided that "Specifically dogs ..." that her "citation" actually doesn't say "Dogs are better natural anti-depressants" and so I'm confused as to why you would even provide it then essentially not state "more than" or why the point would even be brought up at all. The University of Texas study shows a greater correlation of extroverted behavior in dog owners and other factors which tend to give a correlation to a healthier mood in dog owners, however any statistics or science course will tell you "Correlation does not provide a causation", especially an aspect in which the predetermination of an animal is selected that by the personality in question. The requirement to walking a dog and the exercise which helps depression is a non-direct application as the exercise helps, not the dog specifically and your just being cheap. Your presumption of "specifically dogs" is simply unfounded, and I demand an apology for cat owners everywhere because they are really sensitive.

More people are allergic to cats than dogs and I'll take this as a general health topic, if not for the redundancy by which tulle attempts to make her case. Indeed, even in the long run if you wish to have kids or if have others come over this will cause problems. If you want to make this argument it is very valid, so I only wish to present the case of hygiene of which applies to all that cats are cleaner than dogs [2], they wash themselves daily when you have to give your dog a bath and thus, while all subjective considerations are ... considered (I'm a great writer), you cant possibly say you prefer the smell of dogs. If you do you are some sort of weird, perverse person and you probably tried to have sex with your dog at which point you need to jail. In addition, dogs carry more insects on their fur due to both lifestyles and biological factors by which tulle thinks I don't have proof, which I do in that cats are naturally insect repellent. [3] *shades*

Proof of cats being funnier than dogs are self-evident, and the majority of people would agree that "funny" is good, and a probable argument vs your unfounded anti-depressant effect. I don't need proof that cats are funnier than dogs because all you need to do is go on Youtube and compare and contrast how many more videos of funny cats are on and the quality of the lulz. Most of Earth's rocks are sedimentary, however is this inconclusive because I didn't count every rock on Earth? Pssh!

The cat in the video I provided this round is completely pwning the dog ... How embarrassing!

So as far my point in regards to cats innate superiority goes in theme with dogs spiritual weakness, a quite self-evident and frankly embarrassing aspect of dogs in that they need constant affection and love in order to be well-adjusted. tulle believes this is exactly why humans benefit from dogs more than cats however needing someone else for your own self-esteem and approval is pathetic beyond belief and ultimately corrupts the individual and their personal strength, which then leads them to working at Walmart. Now, I don't want to turn this into a debate about the benefits of individualism, but along the evolutionary lines of cats and dogs and the mentality it takes for a spiritually beneficial life comes the need of personal respect in someone to tell someone else ****-off. The following is further proof that the superiority of cats as pets remains unmatched from a credible source: http://www.debate.org...

tulle is obviously gifted in her points and earns my respect of a worthy master-debater. I am glad she can take the time to discuss this responsibly, and I respectfully ask her to resign this debate as she has no chance. From reading her points I think she may kick baby kittens and I just want the violence to end.

[1]
http://www.humanesociety.org...

[2] http://www.keepingitkleen.com...

[3] http://animal.discovery.com...

[4] http://www.utexas.edu...
tulle

Con

Pro listed a number of arguments in his first round, which I responded to specifically and in order. Pro then dismisses this format, dropping a number of points in the process. For the sake of the audience, I have done my best to condense the remaining contentions.

1. Dogs are more diverse

My opponent concedes that dogs are more diverse than cats. He then attempts to relabel my argument as one based on gross ownership statistics. This is a red herring. My argument is not that there are more “dog people” than “cat people.”

Rather, my argument is that in offering a greater variety of shapes, sizes, personalities, preferences, and skills than cats, dogs necessarily fill a wider pet niche for their owners and can be specifically selected to meet one’s unique preferences. Whether one wishes a pet that can do tricks on command, defend their property, perform in shows, tend their flocks, or simply nuzzle them at the end of the day, dogs meet their needs. In fact, of ten of the most common reasons people own pets [http://tinyurl.com...], dogs surpass cats in nearly every respect.

2. Dogs help reduce depression

I have shown that dogs provide health benefits in their owners, including reducing depression and cultivating a healthier lifestyle. In response, my opponent once again relabels my point by presenting this as a function of owners’ personalities. This is both unfounded and irrelevant.

First, those qualities my study showed alleviate depressive symptoms - affection, physical activity, and social networking - are either exclusive to dogs or demonstrated far more in dogs than cats. The fact that he believes such affection is a sign of some sort of “spiritual weakness” remains confused and unsubstantiated. Second, my opponent has not presented a single social, emotional, or physical benefit cats provide to their owners, let alone one as significant as that provided by dogs.

3. Dogs are more hygienic

Pro concedes that cats cause more allergic reactions than do dogs. As a primary function of a pet is play, especially with children, and given that alleviating allergy symptoms is often costly, difficult, and time consuming, this point should be heavily weighted.

Pro then attempts to counter this point with an article suggesting that dogs may require more baths than cats. Considering cats also require bathing and are notoriously more difficult and violent during this process (due to their natural aversion to water), this point is at best a wash (pun intended). This same article goes on to say that the bacteria cats carry in their mouths are more prone to infection and that their teeth are more likely to puncture human skin. Combined, in terms of hygiene and safety, dogs are clearly superior.

4. Subjective vs Objective benefits

Pro’s opinion that cats are funnier is irrelevant and contradictory. Remember, it was Pro who mentioned earlier that this debate is a discussion of quality, not quantity. No amount of Youtube videos on this issue can constitute an actual argument. The subjectivity of Pro’s point defeats it.

Dogs are more diverse than cats, and as such, the skills and perks they provide are far more vast and varied. Dogs rather than cats provide physical and emotional benefits to their owners. Dogs are also healthier for young children and their upkeep in terms of hygiene and allergies is simpler and less expensive. With no substantive arguments backing the Pro position, the rounds thus far weigh heavily in favor of dogs.
Alchemind

Pro

Alchemind forfeited this round.
tulle

Con

Hmm. Quite.
Posted by KB240o 3 years ago
KB240o
I wish I could've voted here.

First off, cats are very useless. All they can do is land on their feet. As for dogs, special breeds are used for police like the K-9 unit. You can train a dog, as for a cat, I don't know I've never seen a cat do tricks & I know it'd be so boring.
Posted by tulle 4 years ago
tulle
lmao!! Maikuru can vouch for the fact that he was gone for like a week and his cat barely noticed. That's sad :(
Posted by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 4 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
"Perhaps people enjoy being greeted enthusiastically when they come home, rather than with the disdain and indifference that cats display."

You are kidding right? Animals are so annoying!
Posted by makhdoom5 4 years ago
makhdoom5
cats are more cute.
and you can behave like daddy more with cats than dogs.
also the dog slavia is worse.
Posted by makhdoom5 4 years ago
makhdoom5
cats fart so bad.
but indeed cats are better than dog.
only pregnant women should avoid the cats.
Posted by TheSlenderMan 4 years ago
TheSlenderMan
I prefer cats myself but so far I'm on the dog side of this debate.

Pro, you gotta pull out something good to combat this.
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
Go Pro! Catz 4 life, son.
Vote Placed by Smithereens 4 years ago
Smithereens
AlchemindtulleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit, S/G point to Pro for trying.
Vote Placed by Misterscruffles 4 years ago
Misterscruffles
AlchemindtulleTied
Vote Placed by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
AlchemindtulleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gets sources for that case of proper labeling... I really think this was meant to be a comedy debate, not a serious one; but FF so the argument goes to Con by default.
Vote Placed by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
AlchemindtulleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's points were either subjective (cats are funnier) or rendered by Con, who presented objective and sourced arguments (health benefits, hygiene) that were infinitely more relevant in terms of the reasons individuals own pets.
Vote Placed by RyuuKyuzo 4 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
AlchemindtulleTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 4 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
AlchemindtulleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Since there are only 3 days left, I'll vote conduct for the forfeit. Might vote on arguments at some point.