Celebrating Christmas is against the Bible

This debate is about whether or not taking part in the following Christmas rituals on Christmas is against the Bible:
1. Having a Christmas tree
2. Kissing under the mistletoe
3. Burning the Yule log

I have the burden of proof to show that at least two of the three listed Christmas rituals are not supposed to be followed according to the Bible.

I look forward to learning something from this debate as much as I do teaching you something as well.

Good luck, you'll need it.

What all three of the three Christmas rituals have in common are that they all originated as pagan rituals, and the Bible forbids the practice of pagan rituals.

Bible forbids pagan rituals

Deuteronomy 12:29-32 (King James Version):

"12:29 When the LORD thy God shall cut off the nations from before thee, whither thou goest to possess them, and thou succeedest them, and dwellest in their land;
12:30 Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou inquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise.
12:31 Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.
12:32 What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it."

So the bible states that you should not practice the rituals that were used to worship other gods even if the ritual was added to or diminished from.

"Norse legends tell the tale of Balder, son of the goddess Frigg. As one lighter version of the legend goes, Balder was killed by an enemy's arrow that was made of mistletoe. Saddened by her son's death, Frigg wept tears onto the arrow, which turned into white berries. Balder was brought back to life by the gods and Frigg was so overjoyed that she blessed the plant and promised a kiss to all who passed beneath it."

So kissing under the mistletoe originated as a pagan ritual, and is therefore against the bible

Yule Log

"The ceremonial Yule log was the highlight of the Solstice festival."
"The Yule log, (usually made from a piece of wood saved from the previous year) is burned in the fire to symbolize the Newborn Sun/Son"

(sun referring to the sun god; "Sun god" was changed to "son of God" when the Christians Christianized the tradition)
So the burning of the Yule log was also a pagan ritual, and therefore is against the bible to practice.

Christmas Tree

For the Christmas tree, the Bible forbids it explicitly.

Jeremiah 10:

"Do not learn the ways of the nations or be terrified by signs in the sky, though the nations are terrified by them.
3 For the customs of the peoples are worthless; they cut a tree out of the forest, and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel.
4 They adorn it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails so it will not totter."

Participating in the traditions of Christmas trees, Mistletoe, and burning the Yule log on Christmas, are all forbidden by the Bible.

My opponent fails to accept the that Christmas trees are not shaped with a chisel by craftsmen.He assumes this decoration is about a Christmas tree but do not require a craftsman? This is about carving a false idol like a todem pole. He is distorting the real meaning.

Did not compelte verse. Gives you the first part and not the ending, implying Christmas tree are pagan. Would one believe a scarecrow pagan? That very fact was excluded by my opponent. Why would one leave out a part about a scarecrow when discussing a false idol he is attempting to manipulate into a Christmas tree?

Even if this chiseled, wood scarecrow was actually a Christmas tree" the whole passage" Do not fear them, they can do no harm nor can they do any good." Hardly a condemnation as he claimed to support beyond doubt.
"Like a scarecrow in a cucumber field,
their idols cannot speak;
they must be carried
because they cannot walk.
Do not fear them;
they can do no harm
nor can they do any good."

He quotes passages that claim something was once a ritual of another cannot be used. Yet pagans celebrate with candles, drink blood, eat humans. This religion based on a person who said, eat, this is my flesh Drink this, it is my blood" got a problem with mistletoe?

No mention of mistletoe in the bible, he must fabricate claims. No supportive data that mistletoe is pagan. He brings up the "LEGEND", NOT pagan. What does this mean for Jack and the Beanstalk and those with a bean garden? Did not prove mistletoe is pagan and against the bible.

Lastly, the Yule log is just wrong. What is a yule log? Is it some specially treated wood? Is the wood blessed in some way? Is the wood taken from sacred ground? The answer to all of those questions is, no. So what is a yule log? According to Miriam Dictionary: a large log formerly put on the hearth on Christmas Eve as the foundation of the fire.

Claims that this is a pagan tradition. Keeping one warm in December is NOT pagan. His passage makes claims that the yule log is of pagan, but does not discern what a yule log is and what makes this wood pagan. Is a fireplace lit on Christmas pagan? Are large logs pagan? why is one fire on Christmas Pagan and another is not? If my opponent is going to make the claim that the yule log is a pagan as practiced on Christmas, then he should also explain what makes it pagan.

Again he proved nothing.

zero for three. Proved nothing.

"He quotes passages that claim something was once a ritual of another cannot be used. Yet pagans celebrate with candles, drink blood, eat humans. This religion based on a person who said, eat, this is my flesh Drink this, it is my blood" got a problem with mistletoe?"

Comparing mistletoe to drinking symbolic blood does not change the fact that since they originated as pagan rituals, it is against the bible.

" He brings up the "LEGEND", NOT pagan. "
Pagan definition: "one of a people or community observing a polytheistic religion"

The legend references a lowercase 'g' god referring to one of many gods, therefore polytheistic therefore pagan. There is also the definition from the same source "a person who is not a Christian, Jew, or Muslim" which would also make it pagan.

"If my opponent is going to make the claim that the Yule log is a pagan as practiced on Christmas, then he should also explain what makes it pagan."

What makes a Yule log pagan is referring to the log as a Yule log. By referring to the log as a Yule log, you are alluding to its pagan origins, which makes the act of burning it a ritual that was taken from the pagans which is against the Bible

"Like a scarecrow in a cucumber field,
their idols cannot speak;"

This is not calling the Christmas tree a scarecrow; it is saying the Christmas tree idol can't speak the same way a scarecrow can't speak.

All my original arguments still stand.

Please take note my opponent has surrendered the Christmas tree portion of his debate. As it is not in his rebuttal or summary. My opponent also said if 2 of 3 are not defended by him it is a loss, and he has already conceded one.

My opponent claims calling it a yule log makes it a yule log. What else in life works that way? Is my ford suddenly a Ferrari? Is my shoebox suddenly an Xbox1? Is the color blue suddenly red? No. A yule log is not suddenly a yule log because someone says it is one. Using his logic, a bible in the mail box is a yule log if you say so because you can claim the bible is a log, and that log is a yule log, and the mailbox is a fireplace. My friend, that is not how the world work " and that is surely NOT how an intellectually honest debate works. You cannot decide what something is unilaterally and define it for the world.

If it is pagan, then a ritual belongs to it. He has done nothing to explain what makes a log in a fireplace in December pagan ie yule. This is important, the entire debate he makes hangs on one thing: He claims it is pagan because one says it is a yule log. However he fails to back up this very important claim with a single fact that the creation of a yule log only requires such a statement to be made.

As for mistletoe, my opponent has shown a lot of intellectually dishonesty. According to the Christ the King Church: Mistletoe does give us some insight into God"s most important gift to the world, his Son, our Savior, Jesus.

The point lost on my opponent was at some point mistletoe may have been used in pagan rituals. However, just because mistletoe is used today does not make it pagan. For it to be pagan it must have the same ritualistic purpose. The ritual came to be because it flourished in life in winter when other plants died. It is not used for good health. It is not hung over a baby"s crib as it was in the past. It is not hung to ward of spirits. It is hung today as a holiday gag, or a way to spread love.

Claiming mistletoe was once used in pagan rituals does not exclude it from use in non-pagan traditions. Did pagans light candles? Did pagans wear leather hide? Did pagans party and get drunk? Just because these historical events happened does not mean any future time the use is pagan.

In closing, pagans do not have a monopoly on evergreen decorated trees, December fires, or mistletoe. Their use is not automatically pagan and against the bible even if the ingredient was used in pagan rituals.

My opponent has not shown anything of any significance. He has conceded 1 argument already, was intellectually dishonest on another, and thinks anything ever used in pagan rituals must forever be pagan on the last. All are wrong.

If you agree with me, that my opponent did not do what he set out to prove then please vote for me. Thank you!