Sandy8
funwiththoughts

Celebrities Should Not Be Judged Based On What The Media Tells Us

Sandy8

Sandy8

Pro

Celebrities should not be judged based on the stories of the media.

First round is acceptance only!

Rules:
1. No profanity
2. No hate or racism
3. No insults

Thank you to whoever accepts.
funwiththoughts

Con

Very well, I accept the challenge.
Sandy8

Pro

Thank you, Con, for accepting this debate.

First off, the media tends to lie. The reason they lie is to create an interesting story to entertain others. Now, if the media lies just for a story, then why do we judge celebrities based on the stories that we hear from the media? We don't know that these stories are true, yet we choose to believe them and judge celebrities based on them. For example, if the media spots Justin Bieber with Selena Gomez after they broke up, they immediately put up a story like "Justin and Selena back together?" And eventually people think that they really are back together. The thing is: what if they really aren't back together? What if they were just hanging out as friends? We don't know. Yet, some people believe it and, say, judge Selena by saying "Wow, I cannot believe that someone like her would go back with him. She's an idiot." This wouldn't be fair, considering they might have never really went back together.

Secondly, these rumors and false judgments may hurt the celebrity. It wouldn't be fair to judge a celebrity without a real reason. For example, Harry Styles once said "Why do you hate me? What did I do to you?" This is very true. People judge celebrities like him based on lies from the media. Are we really going to believe something that was derived from a picture taken out of context? No, we shouldn't.

Lastly, the paparazzi should not be trusted. When we believe the media, we believe what the paparazzi want us to believe, but the paparazzi are willing to ruin a celebrity's life just for a job. By judging celebrities based on what the media tells us, we help the paparazzi get what they want.

In conclusion, I believe that we shouldn't judge celebrities based on what the media tells us due to the fact that the media lies, it hurts the celebrity, and we are just helping the paparazzi get what they want.
funwiththoughts

Con

While you make a lot of very valid points, I must disagree for one simple reason. If we are not to judge celebrities based on the media, what can we judge them on? Since you said in the comments that you do not mean that celebrities shouldn't be judged on that basis, what sources should we use? Information has to come from somewhere. Now, one might suggest that it should come about through word-of-mouth from the celebrity or those close to them. This is harmless enough when done with someone who hasn't done anything too offensive, but then we may not get information about the negative aspects of the person, and thus our judgments are just as clouded by bias.
Sandy8

Pro

That is simple:
Do not judge them. If all you know about someone is lies, then why should you judge them? Same with celebrities. Unless you know the truth about them personally, then do not judge their lives. You may judge their talent, singing, dancing, acting, etc., because that's all you really know about them, but why judge them at all if all you have to go on is lies?

It wouldn't do harm to not judge them, but it could harm their feelings to judge them based on lies.
funwiththoughts

Con

"If ALL [emphasis mine] you know about someone is lies, then why should you judge them?"

I think "all you know about someone" is an extreme statement, but more importantly: it's human nature to judge. You cannot stop people judging, but you can control what you judge them on.

"Do not judge them"

I think this depends on the person. You used the example of Harry Styles. He hasn't done anything too bad (that I know of), but what if we were to use the example of someone who actually has done something, like Chris Brown for instance. Is it still wrong to judge? Not that it really matters, because people will do it anyway. Be honest (this doesn't effect the ideal world, but I'm making a point about human nature so it is relevant): Do you actually follow your own advice? Do you not judge those you don't know personally?
Sandy8

Pro

Thank you, Con, for your response.

"You cannot stop people judging[...]"
That is true, but I said that people shouldn't judge celebrities. Of course I can't stop people from judging celebrities, people have free will, but I can argue why they shouldn't.

"but you can control what you judge them on."
Of course, that is actually part of what I am trying to say. People can control what they judge celebrities on, so why do they judge them on lies?

"You used the example of Harry Styles. He hasn't done anything too bad."
I know he hasn't, but people still judge him and hate him when they have no reason to. Some judge him simply because they do not like him (for no reason, I might add). Some do this because their friends influence them, or because all they heard about him were lies. Either way, it's not right.

"[...]but what if we were to use the example of someone who actually has done something, like Chris Brown for instance. Is it still wrong to judge?"
Chris Brown is another story. It is the truth that he beat up Rihanna. That we know is the truth. We saw her black eye and everything. That we should judge him on, because it's the truth. But let's say someone starts a rumor (that has no evidence) that he spits on puppies. That would be a rumor, so people should not judge him on that.

"Do you actually follow your own advice? Do you not judge those you don't know personally?"
First of all, this isn't about random people around me, this is mainly about celebrities. But if you still want me to answer this question, then I will. If this question is about random people around me, then I try not to judge them. Sometimes I may slip and forget that I do not know them and accidentally judge them, but later on I remember that what I did was wrong (unless, of course, I see them do something that I can judge them on. Then it is acceptable because I know that what they did isn't a lie). So in a way, I both follow and forget to follow my own advice. But as for celebrities, I tend not to judge them. I do follow my own advice when it comes to celebrities. If I judge them, it is on truth (Ex. Chris Brown beat up Rihanna). I used to judge celebrities, but I have recently stopped about a month ago, because I realized that the media is full of lies. (I still don't understand what I have to do with this, but I wanted to answer your question.)

As this is the last round, I would like to thank you, Con, for your time spent on this debate. It has been a pleasure.
funwiththoughts

Con

"That is true, but I said that people shouldn't judge celebrities."

True. However, I am trying to argue taking into account that people will judge.

"so why do they judge them on lies?"

Well, if one wants to argue that people shouldn't be judged on untrue information, I have no argument there. However, just because something is in the media does not make it a lie.

"I know he hasn't, but people still judge him and hate him when they have no reason to."

This would still be true even if he was judged on his singing rather than on media information. Anyways, that wasn't actually part of my point.

"That we know is the truth. We saw her black eye and everything."

But the discussion is not about judging based on untrue information, it is about judging based on information from the media. This is an important distinction.

"But lets say someone starts a rumor (that has no evidence) that he spits on puppies."

This isn't about general dishonesty, this is about whether celebrities should be judged based on what we read in the media. This doesn't necessarily mean that it would be our only source, but as a source.

As for what you have to do with this: that didn't really have much relevance to the debate, but I was interested to hear your answer. Thank you for your time spent on this debate. It has been a pleasure for me as well.
Posted by Romia 1 year ago
Romia
Celebrities definitely shouldn't be judged by what the media says about them. The media lies all the time. It's ridiculous. The more a celebrity refuses to be a "sparkling puppet" the more they cast in a bad light by the media. They did a 20 "meanest" celebrities list. Honestly, some of the celebs on the list deserved to be on the list(they are also half truth tellers as well as flat out liars. Hey, they have to make it look good, right?) But a lot them didn't deserve it at all. Jared Leto is like one of the sweetest, classiest, most gentle people and he was painted as a "sexually violent" perv who squeezed some strange woman's butt after telling her how "juicy" it was. I don't believe that. I know they're just people and hardly perfect but a lot of what was said in this article about some of them was pure B.S.
Posted by STAGIESTCOSINE 3 years ago
STAGIESTCOSINE
You say we shouldn't judge celebrities BUT Is it not the act of judging which makes some people buy into certain celebrities and not others? Therefore, is it not imperative that we continue to judge celebrities (professional merit, actions or perceived values) so that they can continue to have successful careers?
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Dammit, I get the clarification, then go to accept... And gone.
Posted by Sandy8 3 years ago
Sandy8
I meant not based on anything from the media (or Internet).
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Do you mean to say they should not be judged at all, or merely not based on anything from the media?
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
Sandy8funwiththoughtsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro edges out this debate due to round 3 when Pro broke down and tore appart Con's agruements piece by piece. After that Con really went on the defense and that was a sign the debate was basicly won by Pro.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Sandy8funwiththoughtsTied
Reasons for voting decision: I did laugh when pro said we should judge a celebrity based on pictures of another celebrity, yet apart from that one weakness their argument was stronger, and full of good advice. Even if we will judge people we'll never even meet, we probably should not. Con did a decent job, but the debate seemed to never quite leave the cross examination, and get to why celebrities actually should be judged.