Celebrities are good examples of feminists.

Celebrities are amazing role models. They stand as strong leaders of the younger generation and tackle world appropriate issues like feminism. Emma Watson uses her popularity amongst the public and directs her fame into a channel that supports and advocates for the millions of women who are oppressed due to them being female. Feminism ideally leads to equality, and it is needed to be established all over the world that women deserve their rights. This can only be achieved through vastly influential figures, like celebrities, if not political figures.

Hello ladies, gentlemen, judges, hello, my name is Forever23 and I am here to bring forth the premise that not all celebrities promote feminism,

My ensuing roadmap will include defining this debate, refuting my opponents one and only assertion and then stating 2 of my own assertions.

So let me define this debate:
Celebrity- a famous person.
Good- having the qualities required for a particular role.
Examples- a thing characteristic of its kind or illustrating a general rule.
Feminists- a person who supports feminism.
Feminism- the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

Lets get this straights. This debate is not whether women are strong, but whether celebrities show that women are EQUAL to men.

So now allow me to refute my opponents arguments. She mentioned that Emma Watson supports women, so ALL CELEBRITIES SUPPORT WOMEN. However, ONE does not mean ALL. Its true that many celebrities spoke in the UN, however, most of them did NOT speak on the issue of feminism. In addition, my opponent plagiarized her argument about Emma Watson. She had NO source for that evidence.

Now let me introduce my own point. My first point is that the majority of celebrities are NOT feminists. Most of the celebrities out there are not feminists. They do promote that women are strong and smart, however, they never argue for complete equality of women and men. Lets start with Katy Perry, The "I Kissed A Girl" singer told Jon Stewart and a crowd of people back in 2012, "I am not a feminist, but I do believe in the power of women." Lets continue with Shailine Woodley,
When asked if she considers herself a feminist, the "Divergent" star said "No because I love men, and I think the idea of "raise women to power, take the men away from power" is never going to work out
Continuing on, Woodley says:
"My biggest thing is really sisterhood more than feminism. I don"t know how we as women expect men to respect us because we don"t even seem to respect each other. There"s so much jealousy, so much comparison and envy. And "This girl did this to me and that girl did that to me." And it"s just so silly and heartbreaking in a way.
Evangeline Lilly stated, "I'm very proud of being a woman, and as a woman, I don't even like the word feminism because when I hear that word, I associate it with women trying to pretend to be men and I'm not interested in trying to pretend to be a man," she said. "I don't want to embrace manhood, I want to embrace my womanhood." Now onto Kelly Clarkson, Kelly Clarkson
"No, I wouldn't say feminist " that's too strong. I think when people hear feminist, it's like, 'Get out of my way, I don't need anyone.' I love that I'm being taken care of and I have a man that's a leader. I'm not a feminist in that sense."
Also Taylor Swift, "I don"t really think about things as guys versus girls. I never have. I was raised by parents who brought me up to think if you work as hard as guys, you can go far in life."
Now Lady Gaga," I"m not a feminist. I hail men, I love men, I celebrate American male culture -- beer, bars, and muscle cars."
Another singer who's afraid to be saddled with the term feminist is Carrie Underwood.
"I wouldn't go so far as to say I am a feminist, that can come off as a negative connotation, " Carrie has said. Adding, "but I am a strong female."
Bjork states, "[I don't identify as a feminist] because I think it would isolate me. I think it"s important to do positive stuff. It"s more important to be asking than complaining," she said.
Demi Moore states, "I am a great supporter of women, but I have never really thought of myself as a feminist, probably more of a humanist because I feel like that"s really where we need to be."

My second point is that many famous women rely on men. Many celebrities admit that they rely on their husband or father. Many famous women admit that they wouldn't get anywhere without men. The same happened in the past. Many famous women relied on men. For example, even though Laura Spelmen Rockfeller was very strong, she still relied on her husband J.D Rockfeller. Eleanor Roosevelt was a very strong leader. However, she still really needed her husband. Ill give another example. Michelle Obama. This women is very strong., First Lady Michelle LaVaughn Robinson Obama is a lawyer, writer, and the wife of the 44th and current President, Barack Obama. She is the first African-American First Lady of the United States. She has become a role model for women and an advocate for poverty awareness, higher education, and healthy living. In 2010, she launched Let"s Move!, bringing together community leaders, educators, medical professionals, parents, and others in a nationwide effort to address the challenge of childhood obesity. Let"s Move! has an ambitious goal: to solve the epidemic of childhood obesity within a generation. Whether it's providing healthier food in our schools, helping kids be more physically active, or urging companies to market healthier foods to our children, Let"s Move! is focused on giving parents the support they need to make healthier choices for their kids. However, this wonderful woman WOULD NOT BE AS FAMOUS IF IT WERENT FOR BARACK OBAMA. SHE WOULD STILL BE DOING GREAT DEEDS, HOWEVER IN ORDER TO BECOME THE FIRST LADY, SHE NEEDED BARACK OBAMA!!! I AM NOT SAYING THAT SHE IS WEEK. I AM JUST SAYING THAT SHE NEEDED BARACK OBAMA.

Dear judges, thank you. pleas vote con.

Feminism, as defined by Merriam-Webster, is the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities.

I believe that nowhere in my previous response have I written that ALL celebrities are/must support feminists, although this has not explicitly expressed in the response. What I meant was that those who constantly do support and advocate this social dilemma do so in a respectful, empowering, and expressive way.

Point 1:
On this list, we have many, starting with Amy Poehler.
She replies apologizing for her jab at Taylor Swift in the Golden Globe awards, saying, "Aw. I feel bad if [Taylor] was upset. I am a feminist, and she is a young and talented girl. But I do agree I am going to hell. But for other reasons. Mostly boring tax stuff."

Lena Dunham supporting Anne Hathaway, stating, "Ladies: Anne Hathaway is a feminist and she has amazing teeth. Let's save our bad attitudes for the ones who aren't advancing the cause."

We also have Sheryl Sandburg, Chief Operating Officer of Facebook, advocating the requirement of feminism in today's world. " I'm a feminist because I believe in women... it's a heavy word, feminism, but it's not one I think we should run from. I'm proud to be a feminist."

Now, I'd like to show examples of some celebrities/influential figures who not only verbally support or go against the issue, but rather promote and put into effect visible social work to use their power to help women.

Oprah Winfrey, a classic example of an influential figure, was motivated by the unequal pay she received when she started her media career. She followed by starting her own television show and began creating a medium for women to grow develop and inspire. Her works in this issue travel to South Africa and more, as she started the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Acadamy for Girls in South Africa and the Oprah Winfrey Network.

Angelina Jolie is another internationally recognized figure who uses her platform to fully support feminism and uses her position as a UN Goodwill Ambassador to express her will for a world of empowered women. "Women are still treated as secondary issues. It is still far too easy and accepted for leaders to ignore uncomfortable truths, from female genital mutilation to child marriage. It is still the norm for women to be excluded from the peace process. Women, we know, are the first to be affected by war, and the last to be taken into account when it ends."
She also aims to incite action, stating, "Everyone in this room knows an outcry is not enough.We need to change attitudes around the world. We have a particular responsibility."

There are so many more that do support the argument for feminism, ranging from Hillary Clinton, Emma Watson like previously mentioned, Stephanie Meyer, Beyonce, and many more. But, there is no requirement to keep stating the different celebrities that do support feminism. My point here is to just put forth that there are many other figures that do advocate the issue and there are a few that actually take the initiative to help rid the world of inequality like previously mentioned and cited.

Point 2:
Now, I move to the topic of men and feminists. I personally believe that in order to be a feminist, total seclusion of men is completely uncalled for. So what if Michelle Obama uses her position as First Lady to propel feminism? It barely matters where she receives her power from, so long as she uses in a productive and fruitful manner. I believe the opponent does not understand the definition of feminism, for it states for the EQUALITY of men and women, not the empowerment of one over the other. In general, humans are a social animal and it unjust to say that in order to be empowered we need to be higher than another section of society.

In fact, there are multiple male celebrities that advocate for the equality of women and men that I feel the opponent has forgotten to take regard of.

Here we have actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who quotes the next line as a means of expressing how sports promotes the objectification of women. "For example, we would always watch Lakers games as a family, but my mom would always point out every time the cheerleaders came on, 'Okay, so look, here's the story that gets told: The men get to be the heroic skilled athletes and the women just get to be pretty," Gordon-Levitt identifies as a feminist.

John Legend, an icon amongst young females uses his popularity in a positive manner. Legend performed at the Sound of Change, a benefit concert for Chime for Change, a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of women around the globe.

Blair Underwood stands out as a speaker for abortion, stating, "You can't live in this world, obviously, without coming into contact with women," he said. "I mean, a woman is my mother, gave me life, gave me sisters. I have a girlfriend I love dearly. All of that comes into play. It's not about abortion being right or wrong. It's about having that choice to decide what a person should do with their own body."

Many other male feminists also speak out, including Ashton Kutcher on the Human Rights Watch, Ryan Gosling, Davis Schwimmer, Mark Ruffalo, Patrick Stewart, and many more.

Citation for everything under Point 2:

I feel that the opponent's second point on female celebrities dependent on men is completely redundant solely because we are discussing equality here and at no point has she mentioned any celebrities that ARE AGAINST women relying on men or vice versa but simply states that female celebrities that are dependent on men.
Dependency on a person does not mean they are weak or helpless, referring to what the opponent said in her response in round 1. Hence, I feel that the opponent contradicted herself by implying that Michelle Obama, Laura Spelman Rockefeller, and Eleanor Roosevelt are not weak but constantly kept emphasising that they were dependent on someone else. If they were not weak, opponent, why was it necessary to bring this aspect up?
This portion of her argument assumed that men can survive and thrive on their own if women ceased to exist, as the opponent only talks about women being dependent on men but does not consider that men can also be dependent on women too.

In conclusion, feminism is a touchy issue that aims to bring equality to both sides of the argument on an economic, social and political platform. It is definitely commendable to see that so many aspiring celebrities use their position of fame and power to fight a communal problem that is experienced by all.

Judges and Voters, please vote pro.

I guess I didnt fully understand the topic. I concede. Vote pro.

afeministspeaks forfeited this round.

Forever23 forfeited this round.

afeministspeaks forfeited this round.

Forever23 forfeited this round.
Posted by Forever23 11 months ago
I'm not feminist and you just called my opponent mental.
Posted by bballcrook21 11 months ago
Feminism is quite frankly a mental disorder.
Vote Placed by Vane01 10 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: No refutation on behalf of pro.