furiousfred21
KayySlayssX13

Cell Phones Does More Harm Than Good

Started: 10/22/2015 Category: Technology

furiousfred21

Pro

Throughout history, phones have become so advance that it became a daily part and need in many people lives. But i feel that technology has become so advance that many people feel too attached to them. You can have someone constantly checking their social media page every two minutes, or you can see someone having headphones in, even if someone is currently having a conversation. Many could argue that "phones are important for emergency purposes, but throughout history, many have been able not survive without phones. With the first portable cellphone not being invented until the year 1973, so you have to ask how people survived without them. And many people are said to not even have a cellphone such as myself.
Cited: www.theatlantic.com
KayySlayssX13

Con

Cell Phones are destroying society now a days. When i walk around out in public all i see is kids, adults, etc. with their eyes glued to their phones, today you can't even hold a civil conversation with someone anymore which is dangerous to your health actually Cell Phones can affect your brain activity, for example talking on the phone with another person simply holding a phone to your ear for a extended amount of time increases activity in regions of the brain closest to the antenna. Researchers have found that Glucose metabolism in the orbitofrontal cortex and temporal pole increased significantly when the phone was turned on and muted, compared with when it was off (P=0.004). This may be a acute affect but it contributes to reasons of why they are harmful. Social life, i enjoy being able to talk to someone face to face for others it may be different but studies show that social media is causing anxiety Forty-five percent of responders said they feel "worried or uncomfortable" when email and Facebook are inaccessible, while 60 percent of respondents stated "they felt the need to switch off" their phones and computers to secure a full-fledged break from technology. In other words, it's not being on social networks that makes people anxious. It's being away from them. This can cause to depression and other issues. Which is very harmful for a person.
furiousfred21

Pro

As a person that was heavily attached to cell phones and social media and music while my sophomore years, and i have to say that it does way more harm than good. You were dead on with the "makes people anxious. It's being away from them. This can cause to depression and other issues. Which is very harmful for a person". The effects are unbelievable, and i am blessed from breaking away from this technology addiction. But it's sad to say that, because i am only one person. Many people of today aren't even close to aware of the addiction that some have to their phones. Having headphones in, checking and posting pics to places like facebook and snapchat and etc, only makes people even less aware. Many have to lose the source of addiction before they are able to be cured.
KayySlayssX13

Con

I have also experienced that myself don't own a cell phone which I'm glad I don't anymore. I realized how much time I was spending on my device, I started staying in my room all of the time I wouldn't eat food, I wouldn't really talk to anybody and this became a habit every day I got home I got straight on my cell phone, and it became an issue I always made sure I had my charger, a backup charger, my ear buds etc. I was isolating myself from others, which does lead to depression. I get you on when you said that they can be used for emergency purposes which is a really good point, I think that out of all of the technology and people around you sure enough they will have a cell phone on them, simply ask for their help, no big deal right? "The presence of a cell phone while two or more people are talking face-to-face can generate negative feelings toward the person who has his or her device visible". From personal experience I find that very true, I cannot stand when I'm try to have a conversation with someone and they can go 5 minutes without checking their phone.
furiousfred21

Pro

I Agreed 100%, a big pet peeve of mine is when i talk with someone with headphones in one ear( i find that rude and annoying) and agreeing with you with you with not being able to "stand someone that can't go 5 minutes without checking their phones". I always ask myself if cell phones divide us more rather then unite us, even with social media. And i feel that it does, people of today seem way more divided. I remember trying to get a girls number once and she said "just contact me on Facebook" which i feel is pointless, i would rather get a personal experience and get to know you more through talking face to face(what i like more) rather then being on my phone for a extensive period of time. And you are dead on point with phones leading to depression, many can look like social outcast do to the fact that they never get off their phones and meet new people, many might find it easier to make friends without the effort of using their voice, but i prefer to get to know someone by voice not by text. If i wanted to know someone by text, i would read a biography or autobiography book.
KayySlayssX13

Con

Btw. when i got into this debate i thought i was agreeing with the cell phones doing more harm, Lol considering im new to this but yea i messed up