ethopia619
ASB

Cell Phones Should Be Allowed In School

Con Tied Pro

ethopia619

Con

I would like to thank anyone, if he or she decides to take on this challenge. It seems to me that the challenge period barely contains debates, so it will often show a 0 on available debates. So, I decided to bring up this topic. I will let Pro provide the first arguments, just like any other formal debate. With all this done, I will sincerely thank Pro, and wish him or her good luck on this debate and his or her future debates. On the 4th round, we will not bring up new arguments, but just rebutting the previous arguments. Con is the only one that could bring up new arguments in Round 1, to even it out. However, if Pro did not provide arguments in Round 1, Con and Pro would be able to post new arguments in any of the rounds. However, I will list the definitions out:

School: Any normal school you go to.
Or in http://dictionary.reference.com... :
a college or university
Cell Phone: A Black Berry Storm, I guess
Allowed: allowed, permit

I wish Pro and the readers good luck. Thanks!
ASB

Pro

I assume that you do not have a cell phone.
ethopia619

Con

Thank you, Pro, for accepting. I will introduce my arguments now:

1.Distraction

When children are in class, there will be an urge to turn on their cell phone. This can distract children from the lesson, and will result in confusion on homework. This distraction can also lead the child to go to detention, so they would miss part of their class time. Some cell phones contain games, of course, and text messaging. Kids will have a nagging feeling to text message their friends. Furthermore, some cell phones have internet, which could lead into Facebook chatting during class. This chatting device could lead to bad grades.

2.Addiction

Students can be addicted to cell phones. Many students are tied up with their cell phones, and do not pay clear attention in class. Cell phones can lead to bad eyesight: near-sighted, far-sighted, cross-eyed, and more. When you are near-sighted, far-sighted, or cross-eyed, it is not particularly fun to have glasses on during P.E., and are not very comfortable. These harms of the cell phone may lead to grades gradually fall.

3.Cheating

With the application of texting, students may send each other messages on tests. This is considered cheating. When the student sends a letter, the other student would write it down. This is unhelpful to the students.

==> Conclusion

After all this, I hope that the readers and Pro will understand my point on how cell phones are not very helpful at school. Therefore, cell phones should not be recommended at school.

P.S. I do have a cell phone, although I do not bring it to school.

Citations:
http://cellphones.lovetoknow.com...
ASB

Pro

The kid says he has a cell phone, yet does not bring his cell phone to school because of rule or by his own tutelage.

Are you allowed to bring a cell phone to school?

ethopia619

Con

My current school is facing a problem of allowing or banning cell phones at my school. I believe that cellphones should not be allowed.

1. Theft

Obviously if you own a very expensive phone, there would become a higher rate of theft. Lockers will be broken, and your items may be stolen by an unknown theif. This can lead to the school losing money because they have to pay for the repairs. This is unhelpful.

2. Pictures

Some boys and girls who have phones with a camera on it may take pictures of someone that does not know that he or she is being taken as a picture. This is unappropriate.

==> Conclusion
Cell phones should not be at school.

Citations:

1. http://cellphones.lovetoknow.com...
2. http://cellphones.lovetoknow.com...

ASB

Pro

This student says that the decision to bring a cell phone to school is still in contention. Therefore, this student knows about the distractions, addictions, the cheating, taking pictures, and the theft that can be caused by bringing cell phones to school.
I'm an advocate for bringing cell phones to school. However, in the classrooms is a totally different matter. One can bring a cell phone to school without using it in class.
If teachers and school personnel were worried about CHEATING, PICTURE TAKING, DISTRACTIONS, and THEFT. They would enforce their school rules so the infractions of these rules would not happen. I do not think teachers can enforce laws about addiction. I was stumped on how to counter that one.

However, I do not think that students use cell phones enough in class to suffer from cell phone addiction inside of the classroom, but rather outside of the classroom. This can be blamed on the students parents. It is the job of the parent not the student to enforce the safety and the rearing of your child to not be addicted to cell phones as much.

Cell phone use in schools has many advantages. With the help of cell phones, students can be in touch with their parents, relatives and friends. This can prove to be very useful in time of emergencies or when parents wish to know if their child is doing fine or not. With the help of cell phones, students can inform their parents about their changed programs or if they are coming home late.
http://www.buzzle.com...

I know that cell phones and school can coexist because I went to a school that allowed us to bring cell phones to school as long as we did not use the phones inside of class.
ethopia619

Con

Now, let's see the cons of cell phones in school:

1."Rules are meant to be broken." ~ Anonymous
http://www.answerbag.com...

Many kids will bring their phones into class, even if there was a rule. Just like some schools say to pick up trash, but almost nobody does. This is considered rule-breaking, which could be similar to the cell phone at class argument. Furthermore, we have a nagging feeling on the back of our heads that has the urge to turn on a cell phone during class. Besides, some people take notes with their cell phone. However, if ASB shall bring this up, I will simply refute it with an argument: You have stated that cell phones cannot be shown in class, or bring it to school without using it in class. However, if you took notes with your cell phone, you might feel the punishment of theft. Moreover, most kids would like to show off their "awesome" phones: Blackberry Storm, LG Touch Pad Phones, IPhones, you name it. This "show-off" could lead to the kids without cell phones or with a "boring" cell phone feel bad or lonely, which could lead into arguments and students sitting in a corner with a few friends.

2.As so, kids could suffer from addiction outside of the classroom. However, the kids would love to just show off their phone or show a new application to everyone else: Angry Birds, I guess, or other applications. Games could be played in class, while some phones are taken away by the teacher for using it in class, which could lead to a child sulky and grumpy. However, kids will continue to use it in class, no matter what the rule.

3.This is, generally, not the parents' fault. Ideas can run wild. You cannot stop a child from having personal ideas. Furthermore, if the parents took away the phone, the child would throw an enormous tantrum, (which is never helpful), or play on someone else's phone. Parents cannot stop this.

4."Cell phone use in schools has many advantages. With the help of cell phones, students can be in touch with their parents, relatives and friends." ~ ASB
As you can see, students can be in touch with friends. Being friends could lead someone helping another, right? Which is unfair to the people who do not have cell phones, because some kids with cell phones will text each other answers during a quiz or test.

5.Although I have to agree with you about the "late" advantage, children can always use the school's phone. Besides, cell phones could be lost easily or easily damaged when bumped into. This provides a fact that having cell phones during the school is not helpful to the parent and the child.

6.I believe ASB will provide this argument, so I will refute it:
"Obviously, teachers need phones to communicate with each other quickly."
Phones ring, correct? This can provide a big distraction when the teacher would have to answer it. However, some schools use a walkie-talkie to communicate, which is really helpful compared to the cell-phone use in schools. If there was a case of disaster when the teacher's son or daughter had an emergency, most computers will have a notification device saying: "You Got Mail!" This can easily be read and kids cannot easily read it or hear it, compared to using cell phones.

==>Conclusion

Overall, the cons of cell phones in school outgrow the pros of cell phones in schools. However, I would like to thank ASB and the readers for reading or posting arguments, in this exciting debate. Thank you.

Voting Chart (In my opinion)

Agree with before the debate: ethopia619
Agree with after the debate: obviously ASB
Conduct: Tie
Spelling and Grammar: Hard to say, I'll give it a tie.
More convincing arguments: ???
Sources: ethopia619
ASB

Pro

My opponent is obviously going into defense mode. Pulling out circumstantial evidence that he wouldn't have thought about in the first place if I had not BLOWN HIM AWAY like I had in my last round.

It seems that my opponent had been so intent on proving me wrong that he just proved himself wrong.

Point:
He says that cell phones should not be allowed in school.
Then, he says that "rules are meant to be broken"~ Ethiopia 619.

So why make a rule that cell phones are not be allowed inside of school in the first place Ethiopia 619!!

For a rule to be succesfully enforced, one has to discourage students from breaking that rule.
One, have snitches inside of the classroom who get rewarded for telling and protection from the trouble makers.

Two, have harsh enough punishments so one doesn't want to risk being caught.

Three, make an example of the subordinate. Punish the trouble maker in front of class.

Seeing that children are easily intimidated by punishment, way less children will bring cell phones into class than before. It will be nearly impossible to completely get rid of cell phone abuse all together, but the number of children involved will be extremely decreased.

In a CLASSROOM setting, I could see this working because a classroom is small relative to the outside world.
Posted by ASB 5 years ago
ASB
I said the minimal in the first two rounds to set up ethiopia in the last two rounds.
Posted by flamebreath 5 years ago
flamebreath
because con argument was grammatically incorrect
Posted by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
Pro basically dropped 2 rounds. Why is he getting so many votes?
Posted by sadolite 5 years ago
sadolite
You ever been around someone who texts all the time? Talk about starved for attention and a cry for help. Being addicted to texting is just about as pathetic as being addicted to face book. They want attention but don't talk to anybody and sit at home in front of a machine. I know, unrelated. The world would be a much better place without cell phones. Why anyone would want to purposely want to be on call 24 hrs a day is beyond me. I freakin hate cell phones. I have one but rarely use it, the reception sucks and the calls always drop out and you can't hear what people are saying half the time. I've had the same cell phone for 3 years and it has a total of 12 minutes of use. Just rambling some more. It's late and I am watching an ebay Item that is about to end so this is a good way to kill time.
Posted by Dazedinday 5 years ago
Dazedinday
I think, Cellphone should rather be disallowed to be used rather than be disallowed blatantly. Caught using in class, confiscation should suffice. Cellphones have their uses, but they also have their cons. Distraction in class may be 'ignorable' to students who don't pay attention, get 'just enough' grades for graduation, and go to some community college. It may be a distraction for students who want to make most of their time and get good grades, scholarship, and go to prestigious universities.
It should be noted that just because 'teachers' use cellphones in class, does not mean students should use them. This is like saying 'students should drink sake, and loads of it just because his/her father/mother/grandfather/grandmother does'. They know whats best for students. And that's making most of their school time.
Posted by NickMasstas 5 years ago
NickMasstas
Cell phones should be allowed because teachers (where I'm from) are allowed to. Whenever the teachers answer their phones to text or call it's just a friend or family member (just like any other student). So this makes teachers equal to the students in this case. You say that cell phones distract the students, well the same can go for the teachers. Everyones learning is distracted because the teacher took time to answer or reply to their cell phone. So if you take away cell phones from the students then the only fair thing to do is to take them away from the teachers also. This would raise tension because there are going to some who claim they need to have their phone with them.
Posted by suriaguru 5 years ago
suriaguru
Cell phones should be allowed in schools.
A true teacher can make his students to feel that the lectures and lessons are more important than the calls from outsiders or friends.
In these days people who do not have any quality of teaching and teacher are TRAINED TO ACT AS teachers. These actors who PLAY THE ROLE OF TEACHERS cannot make his students to get involed in learning. So, students feel that it is better to talk with someone outside than listening to the actors who play the role of teachers.
This happened with me too. I had a real teacher who used to teach mathematics like a poem. Before his lectures, I used to swithoff the cellphone because I had the feeling I would miss soemthing from him. Today I am mathematics major, just because of him.
So, please do not generalize the issue. It all depends on the teachers.
In these days, there are many schools, but very hard to find TRUE TEACHERS!!!
Posted by vardas0antras 5 years ago
vardas0antras
"I assume that you do not have a cell phone."
Best argument ever
Posted by dinokiller 5 years ago
dinokiller
I would have taken you on ethopia. If this debate turns out failing, challenge me.
Posted by wjmelements 5 years ago
wjmelements
Who is the "you" specified in the CON definition of school?
Vote Placed by Cobo 5 years ago
Cobo
ethopia619ASBTied
Vote Placed by Macho 5 years ago
Macho
ethopia619ASBTied
Vote Placed by SuperRobotWars 5 years ago
SuperRobotWars
ethopia619ASBTied
Vote Placed by Umblada 5 years ago
Umblada
ethopia619ASBTied
Vote Placed by FREEDO 5 years ago
FREEDO
ethopia619ASBTied
Vote Placed by ErikMontague 5 years ago
ErikMontague
ethopia619ASBTied
Vote Placed by Loserboi 5 years ago
Loserboi
ethopia619ASBTied
Vote Placed by Deistdude90 5 years ago
Deistdude90
ethopia619ASBTied
Vote Placed by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
ethopia619ASBTied