Chacarson1
AlternativeDavid

Cell Phones are used too often, therefore making the community less sociable.

AlternativeDavid
Started: 9/23/2014 Category: Technology

Chacarson1

Pro

Cell Phones are great for keeping in touch with people and keeping ourselves entertained in those long, down times, but they are causing the community to become antisocial. Instead of talking to someone face to face, people tend to text. News flash: A text doesn't have emotions. If you spend your life on a 5 inch screen to talk, you don't get to experience human interaction. This can cause issues and make it hard to do anything face to face which can also affect interviews for jobs or colleges.
AlternativeDavid

Con

"Cell Phones are great for keeping in touch with people"

This statement contradicts a later statement made by Pro that "they are causing the community to become antisocial."
Are they causing us to be anti-social or are they making it easier to keep in touch with each other?

"Instead of talking to someone face to face, people tend to text."

I don't text people that I could be talking to face-to-face. When people text they are not with one another. Also, cell phones include calling. Does Pro not believe that we should be able to talk to people on the phone?

"News flash: A text doesn't have emotions."

This is what emojis are for.

"If you spend your life on a 5 inch screen to talk, you don't get to experience human interaction."

What if I'm interacting with a human via my phone?

"This can cause issues and make it hard to do anything face to face which can also affect interviews for jobs or colleges."

Proof?
Chacarson1

Pro

-What I mean is that Cell phones affect face-to-face interaction. (I probably could've made that more clear. I'm new to this) Not only that but it can ruin interactions with people. For example, if you're on a date with someone and the whole time you text someone, you ruin the moment and make it hard for the other person to connect. One thing I hate is when someone is right next to me on the bus and they start texting me because they are too lazy to take out their headphones for a minute.
-Emojis don't show true emotion. They're cartoons.
-Calling isn't face to face. In a call, you interact through sound instead of head on interaction. This means you can only judge emotion by sound instead of by image which can mislead.
-Facetime gives you sound and image, but no physical connection. You can't shake hands, high five, or hug through a phone.
AlternativeDavid

Con

"What I mean is that Cell phones affect face-to-face interaction."

The resolution did not mention face to face interactions. The resolution only regards the sociability of a community as a result of cell phones.

"For example, if you're on a date with someone and the whole time you text someone, you ruin the moment and make it hard for the other person to connect."

This is not the fault of the cell phone. Sure they give us the ability to be distracted, but if somebody is on their cell phone for the entirety of the date, they're not worth your time. In fact, if they are communicating with multiple people that are all far away, you could say that their cell phones have a positive impact on how social they are.

"Emojis don't show true emotion"

If I'm happy, I can use an emoji to show that. Same with sadness. That sounds like true emotion.

"Facetime gives you sound and image, but no physical connection."

Why is a physical connection required for something to count as being social? I have a girlfriend 70 miles away from me, therefore we have to facetime/skype in order to see each other's faces whenever we want to. This is increasing the socialness in my community because it gives me the ability to reach out to people in other communities and create links between them.
Chacarson1

Pro

-Back to the date thing: The reason you are on the date is to connect with that one person. You shouldn't be on your phone texting other people when the reason for the date is for you two to interact. I'm not anti-cell phone, but if we didn't have them, this wouldn't be an issue
-Emojis don't show real emotion. That's not you emoting. A picture doesn't give an emotion.
-The thing about long distance relationships is that you can't see the person right there. You can't hug, kiss, or anything else couples do. As Francis Davison said, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder."
AlternativeDavid

Con

"I'm not anti-cell phone, but if we didn't have them, this wouldn't be an issue"

Of course it wouldn't be an issue, but there would be new distractions. Plus, what if somebody is miserable during the date? A cellphone gives them a way to escape that misery.

"That's not you emoting. A picture doesn't give an emotion."

Every artist in the world would disagree with Pro on this contention.

"you can't hug, kiss, or anything else couples do"

This doesn't address my question about why physical connection is required for something to count as being social.

This point is also an absolute statement. Pro has contended that I cannot breathe in the same room as my girlfriend when we're together. Couples do that, but using Pro's logic I am unable to do this.
Posted by Rakoth88 2 years ago
Rakoth88
People are on their phones wayyyy to much!!!
Posted by Jellon 2 years ago
Jellon
Tips for Pro apart from my RFD:
Pro could have made a stronger case if he specifically used "smart phones" instead of "cell phones", although both debaters seemed to assume that all cell phones are smart phones. Because it can be shown that cell phones cause some people to be more social, it should be clearly defined that the resolution does not apply to everyone, rather some significant percentage of people. Perhaps Pro could argue that it has a greater negative impact than positive impact, if that is the case.

Pro could have made a stronger argument by developing the idea of social behavior in round 1 before the debate began. Pro could have shown that cell phone allow people to hide emotions that they wouldn't hide in person.

Con makes a good point that if cell phones weren't around, there would be other distractions. To win this as Pro, it is important to show that if not for cell phones, people would be social instead of distracted. This is a hard thing to prove based on experience alone. I imagine there might be research on the effect of cell phones on social behaviors.
Vote Placed by Jellon 2 years ago
Jellon
Chacarson1AlternativeDavidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con showed that cell phones connect people with each other who wouldn't otherwise be able to thus increasing social behavior. Pro failed to show that either physical or visual contact is needed for social behavior.
Vote Placed by Relativist 2 years ago
Relativist
Chacarson1AlternativeDavidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Keyword is 'sociable' which con fulfilled his role of proving his case. The debate had a few irrelevancies such as the emoji but by far con wins based on the social factor which is what the resolution was clearly asking for,
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
Chacarson1AlternativeDavidTied
Reasons for voting decision: read the debate. Con proved that people are just as sociable with phones as they are without phones.
Vote Placed by FaustianJustice 2 years ago
FaustianJustice
Chacarson1AlternativeDavidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Undeveloped resolutions make it real easy for the contendor to run away with the debate. That is exactly what happened.
Vote Placed by Ozzyhead 2 years ago
Ozzyhead
Chacarson1AlternativeDavidTied
Reasons for voting decision: My reason is exactly what I picked. My votes are based off of what I believe to be accurate