pandarock
lovelife

Cell Phones should be used in school

lovelife

pandarock

Pro

Cell phones should be aloud to be used in school because they are light weight and cheaper. The school could save a lot of money not having to buy over 1000 computers and laptops so everyone has one. They are light, the average computer weighs about 20-50 pounds and the average laptop weighs about 6 pounds. But the average cell phone weighs about 0.440924 pounds! That is light compared to a computer or a laptop. Especially 1000 of them.
lovelife

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate.

I will start by stating that the cell phone can have many uses, however replacing school materials is not one of those uses.

Addressing my opponent

"Cell phones should be aloud to be used in school because they are light weight and cheaper. "

Cheaper than what exactly? A cell phone plan can cost anywhere between $30-$500 per month. [1]
Cell phones themselves can come free but often require you to sign into a contract with costly monthly bills, and often costly penalties for leaving the company, paying late, or going over the limits as well as other hidden fees you should be aware of first. [2]
Cell phones (without discounts) cost between $70-$650 [3]
Cell phones have one more additional cost that should be mentioned: replacing them, even with care they often need replaced, especially some of the more popular cell phones, which "wont last three months". [4]

"The school could save a lot of money not having to buy over 1000 computers and laptops so everyone has one."
If the school bought every student a cell phone, they would need to deal with overage charges, monthly bills, and buying the cell phones anywhere between 1-6 times in a two year span. While business computers tend to last around 4.4 years. [5]

"They are light, the average computer weighs about 20-50 pounds and the average laptop weighs about 6 pounds. "
Being lightweight is simply not very important as far as making school decisions, effective, educational, and usefulness all come far above being lightweight, computers fit the bill far better than cell phones.

Additional argument
Computers are used for research, storing files, and in some cases, even taking the classes. Cell phones simply cannot perform these factions, and the few that can are far less efficient. Cell phones are good for their purpose, communication, being portable, and being easy to use perhaps doubling as a portable music player; cell phones simply are not currently able to replace the usefulness that computers provide for schools and companies.

Cell phones cost more than computers, they need replaced more often, monthly maintenance and fees are far higher than for computers, and they are no efficient for the purposes that schools often use computers for.

[1] http://www.mobileburn.com...
[2] http://cellphones.about.com...
[3] http://www.t-mobile.com...
[4] http://wolfy.hubpages.com...
[5] http://www.businessnewsdaily.com...
pandarock

Pro

Thank you for posting so quickly.

When I said "They are lightweight and cheaper" I meant like they are easier to carry around. They could still use computers to store things. When my opponent said "If the school bought every student a cell phone, they would need to deal with overage charges, monthly bills, and buying the cell phones anywhere between 1-6 times in a two year span." I didn't mean that the school would buy the cell phones. I meant like maybe the parents would buy the cell phones and if not everyone could afford a cell phone then there would be computers and laptops, just not as many. So yeah that's what I have for this round.
lovelife

Con

Refutation

"When I said "They are lightweight and cheaper" I meant like they are easier to carry around. They could still use computers to store things."

Being light weight is simply a non issue since school computers are either stationary, or only used for school work that requires a computer, not a phone, to work. For the most part students do not carry laptops around, and infact what students do carry around is getting more and more lightweight. From a 50 pound book to an iPad that is less than 1 pound.
The schools that do have students carry laptops mostly or completely replaced items such as notebooks, paper, pencils, pens, white out, erasers, rulers, clipboards, and other things that can get disorganized, lost, forgotten, and weigh more when combined.
Students already enjoy less items that are lighter weight than before.

"When my opponent said "If the school bought every student a cell phone, they would need to deal with overage charges, monthly bills, and buying the cell phones anywhere between 1-6 times in a two year span." I didn't mean that the school would buy the cell phones. I meant like maybe the parents would buy the cell phones and if not everyone could afford a cell phone then there would be computers and laptops, just not as many."

If I understand this correctly my opponent is simply asking for there to be less school resources that are shown to be far superior and useful in the school environment and make them less accessible for students that own cell phones.
A great deal of school work in this day and age requires computers to finish, from writing an essay for English, to doing research for a science experiment, to finding trivia to impress the history teacher with, cell phones are very limited in providing in those areas (except perhaps trivia, if it's a smartphone).

Extension

I would like to extend my point from round one
"Computers are used for research, storing files, and in some cases, even taking the classes. Cell phones simply cannot perform these factions, and the few that can are far less efficient. Cell phones are good for their purpose, communication, being portable, and being easy to use perhaps doubling as a portable music player; cell phones simply are not currently able to replace the usefulness that computers provide for schools and companies."

To recap what I was getting at in this round I was saying that cell phones weighing less than computers does not mean they are more useful than computers. Computers have several functions that cell phones are barely, if at all, currently covering, and computers are just necessary in certain areas.
I thank my opponent once again for the debate, and look forward to final round.

pandarock

Pro

Wow you are really good at this, I thought I would be better because I was using this topic for a school ILA project. I guess you are better but this is the last round, anyone's win.

Another good reason cell phones should be in school is because they are very fast at stuff. If there was a fire at school and all the school phones burned, would you want to call or text your mom/dad on your cell phone or walk the (sometimes) long way home? They are fast access to the Internet and parents. Sometimes if something private happens and your mom/dad call your school it's not that private anymore. Most of the times you won't talk to them on the phone, the office just gives you a message. That makes it unprivate.

It's also saving paper and ink. Instead of the school making around 1000 planners/agenda books that are around 20-40 pages long, you could have a cell phone to use as an electronic organizer/agenda since most kids don't use their planners/agenda books anyway.
lovelife

Con

Alright I will address the final points that were made before we head into the realm known as the voting period.

"Another good reason cell phones should be in school is because they are very fast at stuff. If there was a fire at school and all the school phones burned, would you want to call or text your mom/dad on your cell phone or walk the (sometimes) long way home? They are fast access to the Internet and parents. Sometimes if something private happens and your mom/dad call your school it's not that private anymore. Most of the times you won't talk to them on the phone, the office just gives you a message. That makes it unprivate."

If there is a school fire, the teachers, principals, and police have ways of contacting the parents. [Not an argument but I would like to point out that there is a concern over students pulling fire alarms, perhaps to get out of class, and then using cell phones to "call parents" and meet up for illegal activity while everyone is confused and scared. Missing children in that situation would be doubly harmful to the overall environment.]

Now if there is a private emergency oftentimes the school will let you out of class to deal with it. [from personal experience, when my mom slipped and broke her knee, I stayed on the school phone for hours with my stepdad under being told "family emergency", until he was able to pick me up from school.] If there is an emergency calls can be sent to the office, minor incidents can wait until after school time.

"It's also saving paper and ink. Instead of the school making around 1000 planners/agenda books that are around 20-40 pages long, you could have a cell phone to use as an electronic organizer/agenda since most kids don't use their planners/agenda books anyway."

Schools could also save paper and ink by using personal log ins to track progress, notes, and dates using the school computers, rather than sending personal agendas, so the point does not address the earlier rounds in which cell phone usage was compared to that of computer/laptop usage for students.
In fact it would be far easier to organize such things on a laptop loaned to students, than it would be on most personal cell phones.

Posted by basegod 2 years ago
basegod
burn.
Vote Placed by yoda878 2 years ago
yoda878
pandarocklovelifeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not make a very good argument.
Vote Placed by wmpeebles 2 years ago
wmpeebles
pandarocklovelifeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had very few arguments, Con had several and refuted every one of Pro's arguments. Pro also had poor spelling and did not use any sources.
Vote Placed by Beachgirly 2 years ago
Beachgirly
pandarocklovelifeTied
Reasons for voting decision: -_-
Vote Placed by DevonNetzley 2 years ago
DevonNetzley
pandarocklovelifeTied
Reasons for voting decision: My cell phone was taken up while i was texting in class. Not only am i supposedly against it, i am on cons side.
Vote Placed by imabench 2 years ago
imabench
pandarocklovelifeTied
Reasons for voting decision: aloud =/= allowed, grammar to con right off the back, con actually used sources, arguments by the pro were all over the place where i didnt even remember what the original debate was about by the time the debate was over.