Cell phones in school

Started: 5/15/2014 Category: Technology

Cell phones should be aloud in school, we can as friends what we need for the next class, we can talk to our parents about plans after school like if your suppose ride the bus home, go to a game, or be picked up. Also if your not feeling well you can ask your prints if they will be able to ice you up. I would go for phones being aloud in the hall, lunch, and study halls, but during class they have to be put away.

Thanks for this debate. I think it should be interesting. To start, cellphones are a distraction to start. I understand you point about plans after school but when you think about it, you should know ahead of time what's going on. If you are sick, your principal/teacher/nurse will let your parents know. There is no reason for you to have to do it. In lunch, it would be better to socialize with friends and eat than to just sit there on cellphones. You should already know what you need to have for the next class. If you don't, you are slacking. That is one of the reasons why you have pens, pencils, and paper. To take notes. Study halls are specifically designed to study. You should be doing actual work in there and not socializing or sitting on your cell phone. In the hall, there is no real reason to have them. Just go to your class or to the bathroom. If you get to class early, get school stuff out to be prepared for class or do other school work, even if it is just starting to read through a chapter in the book for English.

You do make some good points, but in school you may have no classes with your friends and might not be able to see them in the hall. If your aloud or use your phones in the hall, and during lunch (you made a good point about study hall) you can tell them something funny so you don't forget, you can remind them that this is the day that you need your text book because this is the one time out of the year that you have to bring it to class.

I would like to start by asking that you spell "allowed" as "allowed" not "aloud." Thanks. My OCD is killing me on that. Second, you can easily talk to your friends at lunch or before school. There is no reason to do it AT school. That really doesn't make sense to me. For the halls, like I stated before, you can get to class early and 1. Make sure you are prepared for class 2. Do other school to try and work. The second you let kids actually use cell phones at school (let's be honest, everybody has them anyway), the amount of use they get when they aren't supposed to be used will increase. It's bad enough that schools are letting kids have iPads and Chromebooks without having restrictions as to downloads (ie. no games). If you let kids start to use phones, it will only get worse. By letting kids use phones encourages usage. 65% of kids say that they use phones at schools anyway and about 110 texts are sent during class. Yet again, letting kids use phones in school will increase those numbers. Yes I understand that only 1,013 teens were used but the margin of error is given as only 3.1%. Just because something already occurs doesn't mean it should just be let to happen, or worse, more encouraged.

Sorry about the allowed thing. Any ways, as I have said before, phones can allow students to contact parents if there is an emergency go home, sports or other after school activity's get canceled, or if you need to stay after to get help from a teacher on an assignment you are having problems on. In my school ALL the teachers have their phones out doing who knows what. if the teachers are allowed to have them then we should to. when we ask them why there allowed to have their phones they say in case something bad happens, but they have them out when nothing happened. another thing is that if we need to look up a word really quick in class we can just take out our phone and look it up and then put it away, and if your allowed to use calculators in class, most phones have calculators on them. Also with the phones being a distraction during class, all students can show the teacher their phone is off and has to put it were the teacher can always see it, so the teacher knows their not texting someone. Another thing is that if students are allowed to use phones in the hall and at lunch then they will be less likely to text during class, and they will spent less time trying to hide them and actually pay attention.

You are just repeating what I you said when I showed how it doesn't matter.
*If after school activities are cancelled, the school will provide a way to contact parents.
*Teachers are adults, you are most certainly not. Saying that if they have them, you should have them is a faulty argument. "That's like saying, teachers are allowed to play movies in class on the projector so we should be allowed to as well" or "Teachers don't do homework so we shouldn't have to either." That reasoning makes no sense. They are adults. If they make bad choices and get in enough trouble, they are fired. If you make bad choices, they really can't do anything to you but take your phone away.
*I understand that cellphones can be helpful but the majority of kids would use it when they aren't supposed to. As it is, the average kid (highschooler) gets/sends 110 texts in class.
*I can look up any word in the dictionary in about 10-20 seconds. On a phone, it takes just that long as you have to pull up the app then type it in. Maybe there is a 1-2 second difference. If you can't use it that well, you obviously aren't super good. When I was in highschool (yes almost everybody had phones including modern ones like iPhone 4S, etc) the kids who knew how to use a dictionary and normal calculator generally did better (generally) cause we were never distracted. Yes, we had phones but it wasn't worth it to use it. It is much more convenient to just have a calculator and dictionary. I don't care if your backpack is heavy. Suck it up. My senior year, I had 2 backpacks jammed with books I carried cause we didn't have lockers and I needed all the books for a single school day.
*Your points about the teachers seeing the phone, why? If your phone is off, than it isn't going to help you anyway. You also stated in what we would be debating that in phones should be put away in class, "I would go for phones being aloud in the hall, lunch, and study halls, but during class they have to be put away." You also then conceded that study halls should be phone free so you are breaking your own rules you set before hand.
*If kids actually obeyed, they wouldn't have phones in school at all. They already text a lot during the passing periods, etc. There is no point in just helping further that cause. Yet again, lunch time, you can socialize on your own. You don't need phones. Go find a friend and sit with them. If you have friends outside of school, then what you will be texting won't be school related and you thus, shouldn't need to talk to them. Socialize with you friends in person, not on a phone.
*As for your last point about them spending less time to try and hide them, that's not true. If you are texting during the halls, it could actually increase because you then get into conversations and it is "so important" to finish that you text throughout the class.

Overall, I have shown how phones would not be good in school. I have cited a source helping my case whereas my opponent did not and I have refuted every point that he has made. Thank you for you time.
Posted by bladerunner060 2 years ago

An interesting debate. Both sides had their S&G problems, so it wasn't worth a point to me. Conduct was equal enough. Con did have 1 source, but I didn't think it justified points.

As to arguments: The big one that decided it for me was Lunch time. Lunch time is the student's time, so Con's arguments about their relative lack of "need" fall rather flat to me for lunch time. Pro makes some interesting points regarding giving students a phone outlet meaning they're less likely to use their phones when they really shouldn't, and I don't think Con's response rebutted it enough to invalidate it. Pro had wisely narrowed his resolution down and conceded the idea that phones shouldn't be used in real classes (though he made a few arguments in support of such a notion), and so the non-class-periods was the point of contention, and I think Con's arguments failed to justify a ban on those times. While Pro had presumptive BoP for allowing them, I think he met that burden.

As always, happy to clarify this RFD.
Posted by schachdame 2 years ago
Oh that's lovely! I see a clear difference between younger and older students. Young students need to learn the basics and clear learning techniques, without distraction and as simple as possible; while for older students, phones can be a helpful tool to use. My Samsung Note is basically a tablet and I often read pdfs on it or quickly search for a word in Spanish classes. But it's crucial, that I first knew how to use a traditional dictionary because that's the thing I am (if it's allowed) stuck with for tests. I once emailed myself my homework to the phone....
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.