pumpkincandy
Defro

Cell phones should be allowed in school

Defro

pumpkincandy

Pro

I believe that students SHOULD have a cell phone for educational purposes. People say that students are irresponsible with their cell phones. HELLOOOO! Did anybody realise that phones have educational apps?

Phones at school…..it has a nice ring to it!

On phones you can download many apps. Some of these apps can be used for educational purposes. Words With Friends, Reading Eggs just to name a few. In the 21st Century Phones have been PROVEN to be beneficial for education. Phones have calculators, calenders and the Internet. This has just combined three devices and put them into one! You have easy access to all of those things and they also make learning more fun! Phones have been proven to increase the enthusiasm of students. Instead of writing in your workbook, you could be online playing an educational interactive game with your friends. I’m not sure about you but I think majority of people would choose to play an educational game over writing in your textbook! Now lets face it. All kids nowadays are going to be using a LOOOTTT of technology when they’re older and working. They may still be using phones or may be using a more advanced piece of technology. Using phones in school will give children experience for their jobs when their older. Isn’t the whole point of school to learn things for their future lives? In some parts of Australia, it is quite deserted, and there nay be only one or two children living in that location, or possibly none. The nearest school could be a LOOONNNNGGG way away so the student may not be able to go there. With a phone you can use it to go on the internet and learn things yourself, or you can even Skype the teacher, or she could email you work and you could complete the work, and send it back to her! An education like that is better than no education!

Defro

Con

I accept. However, there are a few clarifications that have not been made by the instigator, therefore I assume I am open to interpretation and is allowed to make certain clarifications under the resolution.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Carry (verb):
to wear, hold, or have around one
http://dictionary.reference.com......

School (noun):
a regular course of meetings of a teacher or teachers and students for instruction; program of instruction.

http://dictionary.reference.com......

*I will be arguing that students should not carry cell phones with them to school, but instead, keep their cell phones in thier lockers or with their teachers while school is in session, which excludes recess/break/lunch time and afterschool. Burden of proof is shared.

C1: Cell Phones can be a distraction:

-While teachers are giving their lectures, many students have been known to have paid no attention to the lectures but instead sought entertainment from their cell phones by texting and playing games during lectures. I have done this several times myself and I admit that it is not good. In most cases this will obviously result in students forgetting/not hearing something important the teacher says and in the long run affect their grades.

C2: Cell phones give students unfair advantages:

-With a smart phone equipped, students can easily find answers to the questions they have been asked by teachers. They can easily look up answers to a quiz/test. This is not only cheating, but it is unfair to students who do not have phones with them during school. If caught, these students will generally recieve punishment, which is not good.

Rebuttals:

"In phones you can download many apps. Some of these apps can be used for educational purposes. Words With Friends, Reading Eggs just to name a few."

-I question the neccessity of educational apps in school. Why would a student need "Words with Friends" in school, where there are books that educate them more efficiently?

"In the 21st Century Phones have been PROVEN to be beneficial for education."

-Okay. Give me the proof. Pro has made a strong assertion that phones have been proven to be beneficial for education, but has not provided evidence to support his assertion.

"Phones have calculators, calenders and the Internet."

-Not all phones have access to the Internet.

-What is your point? School also has calculators, calenders, and access to Internet.

-As a matter of fact, the calculators in schools are more accurate and reliable than a calculator app on a phone. If a student were to take a precalculus exam in high school, he would likely prefer a scientific calculator over a phone.

"This has just combined three devices and put them into one!"

-For the record, a calender and the Internet are not considered devices.

"You have easy access to all of those things and they also make learning more fun!"

-Access to these things are very easy without a phone as well. To look at a calender, a student could just look at the wall where there will be a calender hanging. To access a calculator, a student can pull out of his bag a calculator that performs much more accurately than a phone. To access the Internet, the student can use the computers provided in schools.

-Access to these things are already easy. With a phone, it is made even easier to access for students. This means it is easier for them to cheat during tests. Stuck on a problem? No problem, just look it up on your phone! This is cheating. Phones should generally not be allowed in class to discourage this negative behavior.

"Phones have been proven to increase the enthusiasm of students."

-Again, where is your proof?

-Regardless, should this assertion be true, how does that help your argument. It just shows that students like having phones in school. That isn't neccessarily a positive thing. Not going to school altogether would increase the enthusiasm of most students. Does that mean we should allow them to stop going to school if they don't want to?

"Instead of writing in your workbook, you could be online playing an educational interactive game with your friends."

-Instead of writing in your workbook, you could be watching a movie on your phone!

-Give me the name of an "educational" interactive game with your friends that is more educational than writing in your workbook.

"I’m not sure about you but I think majority of people would choose to play an educational game over writing in your textbook!"

-Pro has committed the Argumentum ad Populum fallacy, otherwise known as an appeal to majority. [1]

-Hundreds of years ago, the majority of the United States was fine with slavery and beating African slaves just because they were African. Does this mean it is right to enslave and beat Africans?

-The majority of students probably dislike school. Does this mean they should stop going to school?

"Now lets face it. All kids nowadays are going to be using a LOOOTTT of technology when they’re older and working. They may still be using phones or may be using a more advanced piece of technology."

-How does this support your argument. I plan to drink a "LOOOTTT" of beer when I'm older and working. That doesn't mean I should be drinking as a student.

-When a student is older and working, he may be driving cars a "LOOOTTT", but that doesn't mean he should drive a lot as a student in elementary student. That would be illegal.

-A student should focus on his studies, and as stated in my first contention, having cell phones in class can distract a student from his studies.

"Using phones in school will give children experience for their jobs when their older."

-Another baseless assertion. I highly doubt that a child's future proffession will require experience in looking up the calendar on their phones, or using a calculator app and the Internet on their phones, something that can be done more efficiently with other devices such as an actualy calculator or a computer.

"Isn’t the whole point of school to learn things for their future lives?"

-Yes it is, essentially. However, as stated in my contentions, having a cell phone in class decreases the efficiency in which students "learn things for their future lives".

"The nearest school could be a LOOONNNNGGG way away so the student may not be able to go there. With a phone you can use it to go on the internet and learn things yourself, or you can even Skype the teacher, or she could email you work and you could complete the work, and send it back to her!"

-First of all if this is the case, then you are not in school. You are outside of the school. This is irrelevant to the resolution "Cell phones should be allowed in school."

-Second of all. This exists. It's called Internet School, or Home School. My friend does this because he can't afford to go to school in his country. And he uses a computer, not a cell phone. A computer is much better than a cell phone. The quality of skype videos are better, you can type easier, open and view documents not viewable on a mobile phone, the Internet is faster, and you can print.

Addendum:

*Cell phones very can easily be made into bomb detonators. Terrorists have used this and it has killed several people. They are very easy to make (refer to the video I have provided). As you can see from the video, the cell phones can be used both as bombs or as bomb starters. By having teachers confiscate every cell phone, students would be unable to detonate their cell phone bombs had they made one for terrorist intentions upon the school. [2][3][[4][5]

-Therefore, Cell phones can potentially be dangerous in school

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://www.officer.com...
[3] http://www.textually.org...
[4] http://www.cnet.com...
[5] video

pumpkincandy

Pro

pumpkincandy forfeited this round.
Defro

Con

I extend my arguments and contentions.
pumpkincandy

Pro

pumpkincandy forfeited this round.
Defro

Con

This concludes the debate.
Posted by nikkibabycutiepie 2 years ago
nikkibabycutiepie
I think cell phones should be allowed in schools because if there is an emergency u would need to call your parents. or if you have a 305 number some phones from school don't work so you would need to use your own.
Posted by Defro 2 years ago
Defro
@Sashil
You're right. But I just though of it during the middle of typing up my argument so I was like: "meh, I'll just make an addendum for the gigs."
Posted by Sashil 2 years ago
Sashil
BTW whats the purpose of having an addendum, I find it rather perplexing. Couldn't you have just added the argument about 'cell-phones being used as bombs' in your contentions itself? o.O
Posted by Sashil 2 years ago
Sashil
Noob-snipe but with a bazooka :p
Vote Placed by SamStevens 2 years ago
SamStevens
pumpkincandyDefroTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited the majority of the debate. Pro had a weak argument with no sources. Con had a solid argument backed up with reliable sources.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
pumpkincandyDefroTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Con. Pro forfeited every round aside from the first. This is rarely acceptable behavior in any debate setting. For this, Con takes conduct. S&G - Con. There are several misspelled words and poor grammar usage from Pro in R1. Con did not commit the same errors. For this, Con takes S&G. Arguments - Con. Successfully rebutted any and all points raised by Pro, as well as providing contentions which remained unchallenged by Pro. For this, Con takes arguments. Sources - Con. Pro failed to utilize sources throughout this debate, whereas Con shared several which served to further validate his contentions and rebuttals. For this, Con takes Sources. This is a clear 7-point victory for Con.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
pumpkincandyDefroTied
Reasons for voting decision: I really don't think Con's use of semantics was fair. How does "allowed" = "carry"? Besides that, Con made some strong, uncontested arguments that attacked the actual resolution, as well as brought into question Pro's arguments, often suggesting that Pro's claims were uncited. Indeed they were. In fact, all of Pro's arguments were undermined, and the counter-arguments needed to be addressed. Considering this, Con easily won arguments. Whilst Con's referencing of a single point 4 times was a bit cheap for sources, having some sources is much better than having no sources, so points to Con. Pro's forfeits were enough for conduct points to be awarded to Con, too.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
pumpkincandyDefroTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff