Xtremis730
Saska

Cellular phones should be allowed in schools.

Saska
Started: 4/19/2014 Category: Technology

Xtremis730

Pro

As seen here, I have not provided an argument in my round one. I will be taking the position of Pro-Phones in school.
This is a very common debate, but yet there is so much arguments based on this, so I decided to bring it back.
I'm looking for someone willing to contend my stance and go against my argument however they see fit, against my argument that cellular phones should be allowed in schools.
I will leave an option open to my opponent. This is structured for 5 rounds, 72 hours to submit a round, my opponent may begin their argument in round one and forfeit their final response in round five. Final rounds will be closing arguments only, whether this be my opponent's last statement in Round 4 and mine in Round 5 or both our statements in Round 5.
Saska

Con

I accept this debate and will allow you to make your opening statement first.
Xtremis730

Pro

I believe cellular phones should be allowed in school. First of all, it is useful in case you forgot to bring something importance, for example, a textbook or your homework. Also, since schools are a pathway towards adult life, I believe students should be allowed to use the appliances they will be using in their adulthood. If the aim of school is to help get ready for after-school life, we should therefore allow them to use the kinds of things adults of the 21st century are using. Think about this. In most, if not all jobs, a smartphone is extremely much needed: Businessmen make deals on their phone, Engineers order tools on their phone...... The list goes on, and by the time these students all grow up, they need to be accustomed to the tool that plays a central role in their adult life.
Saska

Con

I believe that cellular phones should not be allowed in school. Let me clarify that by this I mean I believe that personal cell phones should not be allowed to be used in the classroom by students, and by students I am referring to high school and elementary school ages.

Cell phones offer an entire world of technology at the fingertips of each student who owns one. Allowing them into the classroom can create multiple issues.

1)Children passing notes back and forth around the classroom was distracting enough for teachers, but allowing children to have devices that allow them to chat with each other in an even more secretive manner will take away from the lesson plans that the teachers have worked to create.

2)The technology today allows children the ability to play games on their phones as well, which is something that adds further distraction for the children.

3)So many children (and adults) spend much of their time around other people still glued to the screen of their phones. While technology is very important, so are people and social interaction. I believe it is important that children understand that there needs to be some level of separation between them and their phones so that they can understand that it is possible to function without them.

4)There are many children who come from families where they cannot afford smart phones. Allowing children to keep their phones with them at all times and use them to aid in projects and school work would be segregating the poorer children from the ones who can afford the technology. This will lead to an uneven education system that favours the wealthy classes. School supplies for poor families are already expensive enough without having to buy a $150 phone and a plan that costs some monthly fee as well.

I do firmly believe that there should be some level of education for children in the way of teaching them about technology: how to use it, when to use it, etc. I absolutely agree that children need to learn technology, but I would much rather see schools begin to integrate more technology classes where tablets are used (issued by the school, much like they did in computer classes when I was in school) and children can be taught efficient ways to do things that will be useful for them going forward into the work place. I just see too many possible issues arising by allowing children to bring their own personal smart phones into the classrooms.
Xtremis730

Pro

Xtremis730 forfeited this round.
Saska

Con

I will allow my opponent another chance to respond to my arguments. I see no reason to continue debating if no one is around to debate back.
Xtremis730

Pro

Xtremis730 forfeited this round.
Saska

Con

I will leave this one more round, and then I will offer a short conclusion to wrap up my argument in the final round if no rebuttal is offered.
Xtremis730

Pro

Xtremis730 forfeited this round.
Saska

Con

Since nothing that I said was ever rebutted and no new arguments have been made by my opponent, I will leave my argument to stand on its own.

Thank you for taking the time to read this short debate.
Vote Placed by aburk903 3 years ago
aburk903
Xtremis730SaskaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con fulfilled his commitment to participate in the debate while Pro forfeited. Con's spelling and grammar is more professional than Pro's, as is his argument structure and content.