AllenFierte
Benediciton101

Censorship in books (Huck Finn)

AllenFierte

Con

I just want to have a quick debate on censorship in books. I'll be arguing against it, my opponent will be arguing for it. This is a quick debate, so it can be somewhat informal.

Rules: Con can make an argument in his acceptance and in Round 3. This debate is about Huck Finn in particular, though if my opponent wants to bring in other cases it's fine.
Benediciton101

Pro

I will be arguing for censorship in books.

1st Point : Inappropriate content.

Inappropriate content is repeated constantly in Huckleberry Finn; Finn displays inappropriate behaviour, that will affect young readers. Secondly, the content in Huck Finn, is not exemplary to young readers, as it shows of a boy who shows no respect for anyone, except himself. Huck Finn has no obligation or respect for religion, which can influence young readers whose parents are religious.

2nd point : Influence

Earlier I mentioned how Huck finn could influence young readers. In the story of Huck Finn, Finn takes on a trip to run away. He experiences the wild life, something he hasn't really done before. Children will take this, and see how Finn deals with his runaway journey, thinking that it will be easy to run away.

(Sorry it's short. I have only 53 seconds left, and I'm a debate beginner. I apologise for my bad skills.)
AllenFierte

Con

AllenFierte forfeited this round.
Benediciton101

Pro

Benediciton101 forfeited this round.
AllenFierte

Con

AllenFierte forfeited this round.
Benediciton101

Pro

Benediciton101 forfeited this round.
Posted by ruefull_tiltheend 1 year ago
ruefull_tiltheend
Well I can't debate you. If people don't want to be open minded about the dialect and how that was such an amazing literature for its time, then I can't do nothing about it. I bet you see it for what it is. A perfect drawn relations between blacks and whites among other funny and true examples of that society.
Posted by AllenFierte 1 year ago
AllenFierte
@ruefull_tiltheend People have been trying for a long time.
Posted by ruefull_tiltheend 1 year ago
ruefull_tiltheend
Are they trying to sensor mark twain?