caesura
Bravo96

Censorship of Art

Started: 11/26/2013 Category: Arts

caesura

Con

First round is acceptance of the term "art" meaning "Something created for the purposes of aesthetic pleasure and/or expression of idea(s) or feeling(s) ."
Bravo96

Pro

I happen to disagree with total expression of ones feelings through art. There are many thing that should be left in the mind, for example romance or passion should not be depicted in the visual arts. Censorship should be exerted when it comes to written art as well, many poems were created with the intention of being racist. If you consider music as art (which I do) then self control and censorship should be exerted even more. I find it impossible to listen to a song today without hearing drugs, sex, or racism. This kind of behavior should be eliminated from all art in the future.
caesura

Con

caesura forfeited this round.
Bravo96

Pro

I would really like to debate, where are you?
caesura

Con

I'm sorry that I missed a round, I was unable to access a computer. Others' expression through art should not be limited by your or anyone's ideology, save the creator. Censorship of art is one of the only (and best) ways to silence passionate minority groups, if all art was censored then one large group could hold all the power of expression, and that would be awful. There is no reason to censor something that harms no one.
Bravo96

Pro

It is true that art does not harm any one, but morally speaking wouldn't it be better to subjects like racism, violence and nudity out of art. Such things could be detrimental, and offensive to others. As far government regulation, I totally agree that they should not regulate art. We all know what happened in Russia for the longest time. If the individual wants to express his emotions and feelings in a controversial way, I would suggest that he do so in private or chose another medium.
caesura

Con

caesura forfeited this round.
Bravo96

Pro

Bravo96 forfeited this round.