Its-you-or-me
JustCallMeTarzan

Censorship

JustCallMeTarzan

Its-you-or-me

Con

I would first like to start by saying im a first time debator on here and will not be staying true to the usual debate style for i just feel like having an argument but a stable one not a rabbling argument. i will just negate on censorship not define anything and give my reasons it may not be good because i wrote this a long time ago and im a novice but here i go

When it comes to expressing your opinion whether it be in art form, music form, television form, or just giving your opinion there is always someone there to say "Wow that offends me" and then slap a censored sticker on it. The First states "Congress shall make no law…abridging the freedom of speech." Well censorship isn't a law but it does abridge the first amendment by making that artist or television shows creator to limit some of the things they say.

For example music groups such as N.I.N, Slipknot, and Tool have been censored because they talk of sexual acts, violence, and suicide. Most reasons why these types of groups are censored are because they are supposedly harmful to youth and corrupting minds so to speak.

By censoring those things you are truly protecting children from harms and dangers way. Because sexual acts, violence, suicide, and vulgarity happen in everywhere in reality and you cant censor that. SO the only to protect your child is to really shun them from society in generally. So pack your bags kids were heading to the Amish country!

Now, Censorship, even when age rating systems are used {TV-G, PG, 14, MA, and so on} is a very blunt tool. It takes no account of the differing standards of education or maturity between children and youths, or the varying attitudes towards parenting in different households. By imposing and external standard of censorship, the government is depriving parents of the right to raise their children in a manner they see fir. We lose the element of parental discretion, which is arguably part of the right to lead a private and family life as one sees fit- a right that is enshrined in many international human rights conventions. Looking at adults, we see that they have the right to vote, bear arms, and die for this country. Why should they be deprived of the ability to decide what they wish to see, or what their children should be allowed to watch or listen to? Also, make note that people are not being forced to view artwork at gunpoint. Every member of the public has the right to and the ability to avert their eyes {unless they are blind then hey that sucks} and not look at art that offends them, listen to music that is vulgar, or watch TV that is offensive. They can refrain from viewing any thing that is offensive to them.

To sum it up the decision should come down to the parent/viewer to decide what is wrong and what is right to view NOT THE GOVERNMENT OR CENSORSHIP.

Written by Johnathon Gutierrez –"Learn to Swim"
I will now wait for an opponent and hope i can rebute him
JustCallMeTarzan

Pro

My opponent's argument rests on the notion that "The First states "Congress shall make no law…abridging the freedom of speech." Well censorship isn't a law but it does abridge the first amendment by making that artist or television shows creator to limit some of the things they say."

It has been long held that the First Amendment is not a blanket restriction on the government's ability to restrict speech. There are three main exceptions to the freedom of speech granted by the First Amendment:

1) Fighting Words
2) Obscenity
3) Incitement to Imminent Lawless Action

Fighting words references that speech which is intended to incite another individual to violence on a personal level. Good examples of this would be things like "F*** you!" or "You mother is a harlot and strawberry tart." Obscenity deals with anything that involves a prurient (sexual or of an morally/sexually deviant nature) interest. The last, Incitement, deals with the avocation and urging of another to commit a lawless act within a short period of time.

There is a plethora of reasoning on these three issues for that the PRO side of this argument can appeal to. The decision in Brandenburg v. Ohio gives literally pages of information regarding the legality and moral necessity of the restriction of these types of speech for the proper and safe running of a government and state.

My opponent's contention is that "talk of sexual acts, violence, and suicide" should be unrestricted, and that they are only restricted because they "are supposedly harmful to youth and corrupting minds so to speak." He also holds that the decision in censorship cases should "come down to the parent/viewer to decide what is wrong and what is right."

However, on the three cases he references - sexual acts, violence, and suicide - the government has shown a compelling interest in restraining speech on these topics. Sexual acts fall under obscenity; Violence falls under fighting words, and sometimes incitement; suicide is a crime, and thus falls under incitement and/or obscenity. Actually, the FCC does not censor some talk of suicide or self-harm - the decision for censorship on those topics is dependent on the graphic nature of the speech itself.

Parents and individuals DO retain the right of personal censorship even though the government censors various things from the public domain. This is why a parent can take a three year old to an R rated movie or why you can decide to walk into a pornographic shop if you are of legal age in your area. However the languages and themes of pornography or R-rated movies are not appropriate for the public domain.

Surely my opponent does not suggest that we should expose the public to lewd, obscene, violent, and destructive material... The government clearly has a duty to restrict some material from the public sphere because it DOES have an effect on the viewers. His argument concerning violence, sex, suicide, and vulgarity happening everywhere is complete nonsense. How many times do you hear about public sexual acts? How many times have you seen a person commit suicide? How much obscenity or vulgarity is in your daily life?

Very little - certainly not enough to argue that it is a reason to lift censorship.

********************

I have shown a moral and legal justification for censorship, as well as demonstrated that my opponent's arguments are poorly constructed and arrive at unjustified ends. My opponent seems to suggest the freedom of speech is absolute - a position that has never been tenable in the history of the United States.
Its-you-or-me

Con

Its-you-or-me forfeited this round.
JustCallMeTarzan

Pro

JustCallMeTarzan forfeited this round.
Its-you-or-me

Con

Its-you-or-me forfeited this round.
JustCallMeTarzan

Pro

My apologies for forfeiting the last round, even though it would not have bade much difference...

Con did not respond to any of my arguments or refutations.

Vote PRO.

AFFIRMED.
Posted by Its-you-or-me 5 years ago
Its-you-or-me
i to forfeited because of finals i deeply apologize to my opponent and hope to debate him with a more constructed case and actually show up again i apologize
Posted by JustCallMeTarzan 5 years ago
JustCallMeTarzan
crap - I didn't mean to forfeit... stupid finals
Posted by JustCallMeTarzan 5 years ago
JustCallMeTarzan
Rex, can you post that again in English?

Ragnar - you must be in college too then.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 5 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
"How many times do you hear about public sexual acts? "

On average, 83 times a day.
Posted by rex-town 5 years ago
rex-town
If I were to say if I was in this debate I say for censorship. It is likewise to oppose to such content due to censorship prevent many things such as sex to be not seen by kids but unfortunately it's not always the case.
Posted by Its-you-or-me 5 years ago
Its-you-or-me
Sorry for the confusion on the topic of this debate

Censorship is riduculus and should be rid of
Posted by LearnLoveLiveLife 5 years ago
LearnLoveLiveLife
Censorship is the title.
Is this debate about whether we should have censorship?
Whether censorship is good?

What is the actual subject of debate.
Posted by brian_eggleston 5 years ago
brian_eggleston
"For example music groups such as N.I.N, Slipknot, and Tool have been censored because they talk of sexual acts, violence, and suicide. Most reasons why these types of groups are censored are because they are supposedly harmful to youth and corrupting minds so to speak."

Good point. You will find sex, violence, suicide and a whole lot more besides in your average Shakespeare play but that's considered to be educational for youngsters.
Vote Placed by Its-you-or-me 5 years ago
Its-you-or-me
Its-you-or-meJustCallMeTarzanTied
Vote Placed by jess_ily 5 years ago
jess_ily
Its-you-or-meJustCallMeTarzanTied
Vote Placed by mastajake 5 years ago
mastajake
Its-you-or-meJustCallMeTarzanTied
Vote Placed by JustCallMeTarzan 5 years ago
JustCallMeTarzan
Its-you-or-meJustCallMeTarzanTied