slammin
polka-dots323

Central Africa is the Region That Should Recieve the Most Help

slammin

Pro

Central Africa is a region with lots of suffering, and many do not recognize that. Many people will disagree and say that a different region of Africa needs help.

The Southern region is known for HIV/AIDS.
The Northern region is known for humanitarian crisises (Darfur)
The Eastern region is known for constant ethnic rivalry.
The Western region is known for its malnutrition.

You don't hear much about Central. Central DOES suffer, and many people look to the other regions. In the Democratic Republic ALONE, with 67 million people, there is a less than 44 life epectancy. The Southern region has a good economy compared to other regions. The Northern region has more education. The Eastern and Western region have many resources and access to the coast.

What does the Central region have?

Land-locked countries dependant on crops, corrupt leaders, dense rainforest, and tragic histories. You may say that many regions had a tragic past, but have you considered the Democratic Republic of Congo, where King Leopold (Belgium) mutilated arms and legs of those who didn't get enough rubber from the trees?
polka-dots323

Con

Thank you for begining this debate and I wish you luck. :)

"Central Africa is a region with lots of suffering, and many do not recognize that."

This is true. Also, you need to consider that regions such as Western Africa are not really thought of anything more than a land with tons of people and jungles. Also, Northern Africa isn't really thought of as a place of great war. People thinking of Northern Africa will think of Egypt and Morocco instead. A land full of pyraminds and artifacts. I think as a whole, when somebody says Africa most think of the Sergengeti or deserts. Only a few who know of these conditions and the truths of Africa actually think of the continent as a land of hardships and troubles. The few that do realize the unfair realities, probably think of places like Darfur and South Africa, both have major problems also.

"You don't hear much about Central. Central DOES suffer, and many people look to the other regions. "

This is true as well. But, I would not say that people look to other regions. I would think that people think more of places like Darfur, but few actually think of regions.

"...Land-locked countries dependant on crops, corrupt leaders, dense rainforest, and tragic histories. "

Central Africa has these problems just as the rest of Africa does. All of Africa is suffering. We should help ALL of Africa. Not just one region. Why does Central Africa deserve more help than other regions? I think, instead of making this debate about that Central Africa should recieve the most help, you should have said that the problems and conditions in Central Africa need to be more known in the world and others need to be more aware of the conditions and problems in Central Africa. I would like to point out that ALL of Africa suffers from these problems. They are not exclusive to soley Central Africa.

Your position in this debate is the same as saying, this homeless person should recieve the most help and more help than those 4 over there becuase somebody is already helping them. Again, Central Africa is recieveing some help at the moment just as other regions. Just becuase there are a few organizations in parts of Africa does not mean that there are a lot. I believe that we should focus on all of Africa recieveing help and aid instead of one region more than the others or one recieveing the most help. Again, ALL of Africa is suffering and needs help. Maybe people are unaware of the problems in Central Africa becuase the problems are more dominant in other regions and countries. By looking at the following charts, you can see that The DRC and Sudan both share similar problems, but also Sudan seems to have a few more.

https://www.cia.gov...

https://www.cia.gov...

From just looking at the two countries above (Democratic Republic of the Congo which you brought up in your argument and Sudan, where Darfur is located) you are able to see that The DRC has more natural resources and is NOT land-locked, Now, let us compare that to Sudan. Sudan has less natural resources and IS land-locked.

My opponent has failed to support her position of "Central Africa is the Region That Should Recieve the Most Help" besides the fact that other regions are better known to the world as a place of great hunger and warefare.

I can rebut this, as I have, by stating that ALL of Africa suffers from these problems and one region does not deserve the MOST help.

Maybe, instead of titling this debate, "Central Africa is the Region That Should Recieve the Most Help" you should have called it, "The World Needs to Be More Aware of the Problems in Central Africa."

Thank-you and I await your response.
slammin

Pro

slammin forfeited this round.
polka-dots323

Con

Since my opponent has not replied with an argument, I will restate my side. Central Africa is NOT the Region That Should Recieve the Most Help. I don't believe that one region deserves more help than another, but they should recieve help based on their conditions and problems. Also, my opponent needs to define "help." Help could mean anywhere from volunteer work to a complete renovation of a country. Also, Central Africa is a poor region and does need help, but should we really be focusing on which region recieves the most "help" instead of the important things such as how we can help them?
slammin

Pro

The title was a misnomer, I guess. At the beginning, I believe I said:

"Many people will disagree and say that a different region of Africa needs help."

I was hoping you'd kind of pick up on the fact that I'm talking about Central out of all of the other REGIONS in Africa.

"I think as a whole, when somebody says Africa most think of the Sergengeti or deserts. Only a few who know of these conditions and the truths of Africa actually think of the continent as a land of hardships and troubles."

These days, Africa is constantly in the spotlight for corruption, economic failure, HIV/AIDS, malnutrition and other negative things. If you go to a news website, such as
http://www.cnn.com...
you will see that practically everything when you click on "Africa" is negative. Africa's conditions are widely publicized, so many people will be aware of the bad things.

"All of Africa is suffering. We should help ALL of Africa. Not just one region."

Who's to say I'm against this? If I say Central Africa is the Region that Should Recieve the Most Help, even if it is a misnomer, you should be able to pick up on the fact that this is a region-versus-region thing; not really a region-verus-the whole continent of Africa. What I mean is that Central Africa is the region that stands out for the most help out of every other INDIVIDUAL region.

"Your position in this debate is the same as saying, this homeless person should recieve the most help and more help than those 4 over there becuase somebody is already helping them."

This makes perfect sense. Every other homeless person would have already recieved some help. What about the neglected one? So the one other person should receive more help than the neglected one?

"I don't believe that one region deserves more help than another, but they should recieve help based on their conditions and problems."

http://www.cnn.com...
http://www.alertnet.org...

Judging from a recent articles, there ARE conditions and problems in Central Africa. Also, judging from the list of articles (basically problems) from the website, (http://www.cnn.com...) there aren't that many articles recognizing Central Africa.

"From just looking at the two countries above (Democratic Republic of the Congo which you brought up in your argument and Sudan, where Darfur is located) you are able to see that The DRC has more natural resources and is NOT land-locked, Now, let us compare that to Sudan. Sudan has less natural resources and IS land-locked."

Just because the DRC has more natural resources does NOT mean it has had access to these resources. Also, Sudan is not landlocked. It has access to the Red Sea, which has access to the ocean.

http://www.kwathabeng.co.za...

land´┐Żlocked
adj.
Entirely or almost entirely surrounded by land: a landlocked country.
Confined to inland waters, as certain salmon.

land´┐Żlocked [land-lokt]
–adjective
1. shut in completely, or almost completely, by land: a landlocked bay.
2. having no direct access to the sea: a landlocked country.
3. living in waters shut off from the sea, as some fish.

Source: http://www.dictionary.com...

The DRC is landlocked. It is almost completely surrounded by land except for the small area of land that has access to the ocean.

"Also, my opponent needs to define "help." Help could mean anywhere from volunteer work to a complete renovation of a country."

Anything at this point could assist Africa.

"Also, Central Africa is a poor region and does need help, but should we really be focusing on which region recieves the most "help" instead of the important things such as how we can help them?"

This debate is about which region should recieve the most help in Africa. I am for Central Africa. How to help Africa is an entirely different matter. Right now, we are debating on which region SHOULD recieve the most help.

"My opponent has failed to support her position of 'Central Africa is the Region That Should Recieve the Most Help'"

I believe all I have been able to post so far is an opening statement.
_______________________________________________________________________________
I do not think my opponent understands what we are debating about. You are trying to prove to me why Central Africa should NOT receive the most help out of the other regions in Africa. I am trying to prove to you why it SHOULD.

Therefore, I will restate and add some reasons.

*Central Africa is not recognized as one of the top regions in Africa that need help
*The Southern region has a good economy compared to other regions. The Northern region has more education. The Eastern and Western region have many resources and access to the coast.
*http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk...
You can see that most of the countries losing growing stock are in the Central region.
*http://www.globalchange.umich.edu...
Lots of Central Africa is covered in rainforest.
*You can also see from the link above that Central Africa is on the equator. This means since it is tropical, there will be lots of Malaria, which is fatal, and many people do not have mosquito nets and such to protect themselves.
*http://www.alertnet.org...
polka-dots323

Con

""Many people will disagree and say that a different region of Africa needs help."

Why would "many" people say that central isn't as deserving as other? May be it isn't if so many think that way.

"These days, Africa is constantly in the spotlight for corruption, economic failure, HIV/AIDS, malnutrition and other negative things. If you go to a news website, such as
http://www.cnn.com......
you will see that practically everything when you click on "Africa" is negative. Africa's conditions are widely publicized, so many people will be aware of the bad things."

Yes. But, not everybody watches the news. It is true, and the areas that are being publicised really are usffering and need a lot of help. Central does suffer, but not as badly as others do. If this region did, then it would be in the news just as much as places like Darufr. The press does not hold anything against Central Africa. They just report what is happening. If Central Africa really needed a lot of help, then they would publicize it. Why do we need to give more help to a region that doesn't suffer as much?

This leads me to my next point. Well based on the fact you've given, you're saying that the majoraty of people see Central Africa as better than others. Well if it's so much better than all other regions then why should aid be given to that region? I don't see any proof on why it would be more deserving(at least not that you've given).

"Who's to say I'm against this? If I say Central Africa is the Region that Should Recieve the Most Help, even if it is a misnomer, you should be able to pick up on the fact that this is a region-versus-region thing; not really a region-verus-the whole continent of Africa. What I mean is that Central Africa is the region that stands out for the most help out of every other INDIVIDUAL region."

You have not given me proof as to why Central deserves the most help. As I have stated before, all of Africa's regions share the same problems. Some regions suffer and are affected more than others. If one region is suffering more, I believe that it deserves mroe help than ones that are not suffering as much. Again, these problems such as HIV/AIDS, malnutrition, and corruption are not exclusive to just Central Africa.

"Judging from a recent articles, there ARE conditions and problems in Central Africa. Also, judging from the list of articles (basically problems) from the website, (http://www.cnn.com......) there aren't that many articles recognizing Central Africa."

But, the problems such as malnutrition, HIV/AIDS, and corruption are more dominant and active in other regions. South Africa has the highest HIV/AIDS rate. Nigeria is the most populated country in Africa, and is full of starving children. You have not shown me the problems and conditions in Central Africa and why Central deserves the most help. Maybe, there are not many articles about Central, becuase not as many things are happening there at the moment. There are not civil wars or fighting goind on at the moment like there is in Kenya. Just because Central Africa is not in the news as much, defiantnly
does not mean that it is not suffering, but does mean that some regios are suffering more. Since this is the case, the regions that are suffering more need more help.

"Just because the DRC has more natural resources does NOT mean it has had access to these resources. Also, Sudan is not landlocked. It has access to the Red Sea, which has access to the ocean."

Just becuase other regions have resources does not mean that they have acess to them either. Therefore, that argument is useless. I am sorry about my mistake on Sudan. There are other land-locked countries in Africa besides ones in Central. Actually, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Chad, Ethiopia, Lesotho, Malawi, Mali, Niger, Rwanda, Swaziland, Uganda, Zambia,and Zimbabwe are all land-locked countries in Africa. Most are not in Central Africa. The Democratic Republic of the Congo is considered "nearly-land-lcoked."

"Right now, we are debating on which region SHOULD recieve the most help."

No, we are debating on whether or not Central Africa should recieve the most help out of all the regions in Africa. It is your job to prove to me why Central should get the most help. You have not done so yet.

"I believe all I have been able to post so far is an opening statement."

I apoligize, but in an opening statement, you should support your opinion with some facts and/or details. You did not.

"I do not think my opponent understands what we are debating about. "

I think I do. I have rebuted your statements and have argued as to why Central Africa does not deserve the most help out of all the regions in Africa. Other regions are suffering more. Don't they deserve/need more help? It is like giving more money to the rich. I am not stating that Central Africa is by any means rich or problme-free, for all the regions of Africa suffer. I am statung that other regions are suffering more and therefore need more help. Isn't that logical? Central does deserve help, but not "the most."

"*Central Africa is not recognized as one of the top regions in Africa that need help."

Maybe, this is for a reason. If it was really and truely suffering like some of the other regions then it would be recognized as "one of the top regions in Africa that needs help."

"*The Southern region has a good economy compared to other regions. The Northern region has more education. The Eastern and Western region have many resources and access to the coast."

The Southern Region does have a better economy, but is this helping their region? The Northern Region may have education, but a lot of violence between ethnic groups. The Eastern and Western regions do have resources, but do they have access to most of them? No. Also, not all the countries have access to the coast as I mentioned earlier.

"Lots of Central Africa is covered in rainforest."

Pretty much all of Western Africa is covered in rainforest.

"*You can also see from the link above that Central Africa is on the equator. This means since it is tropical, there will be lots of Malaria, which is fatal, and many people do not have mosquito nets and such to protect themselves."

Many countries border the equator and share the same problem.

http://www.medicalecology.org...

From this map, you can see that many other regions in Africa suffer from malaria. Again, not just Central Africa.

I would like to ask you how much help is Central Africa recieving right now compared to other regions?

Thank you and I await your responce. :)
slammin

Pro

"Why would 'many' people say that central isn't as deserving as other? May be it isn't if so many think that way."

Central has the same problems as any other region. Many of the regions are recognized for having problems that stand out, but each region basically has the same problems. For instance, the Southern region is known for high HIV infection. However, every country in Africa has problems with HIV/AIDS infections.

WHAT POLKA HAS SAID:

"'Central Africa is a region with lots of suffering, and many do not recognize that.'

This is true."

"'You don't hear much about Central. Central DOES suffer, and many people look to the other regions.'

This is true as well."

"Also, Central Africa is a poor region and does need help"

"...central isn't as deserving as other"

"Central does suffer, but not as badly as others do"

"If it was really and truely suffering like some of the other regions"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please make up your mind.

"It is true, and the areas that are being publicised really are usffering and need a lot of help."

You say 'areas that are being publicized'. Central isn't being publicized, and that's a reason why people do not recognize it.

"No, we are debating on whether or not Central Africa should recieve the most help out of all the regions in Africa."

You said before:

Once again, I am not sure if my opponent understands what we are debating about.

"The Southern Region does have a better economy, but is this helping their region?"

Yes, it is indeed helping their region. South Africa has the highest literacy rate, at 83% when the other countries stay around 50%.

"I would like to ask you how much help is Central Africa receiving right now compared to other regions?"

http://www.africaguide.com...

The site above is a list of charities in Africa. There are about 2 directed soley on Central Africa.

Here are a few maps of Africa, showing basic facts. You can see that Central doesn't seem to be doing too well in any of them.

*http://i26.tinypic.com... can see that the Democratic Republic of Congo (part of Central Africa) is the only country that relies 100% on foreign aid.
*(http://news.bbc.co.uk...) You can see here that the North and South are doing well, especially when compared with Central Africa.
*(http://annansi.com...) You can also see here that the "worst" countries are around Central Africa.
*http://img.thebody.com... Here you can see that not only Southern Africa suffers from HIV--have you noticed that many of them are in Central Africa?

A chart containing some of the countries from the regions that you were mentioning that would need more help than the Central region:
http://i26.tinypic.com...

Some things I would like you to take a look at:
*GNI per capita
*Life expectancy
*Under-5 mortality rank
*Infant mortality rate (1990, 2005)
_______________________________________________________________
Note:
As for the deaths and births and such, it would not be accurate unless you receive percentages/proportions because of the differences in population.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My opponent has not coherently and clearly stated all of her reasons against Central Africa should NOT receive more help than other regions. She has provided several rebuts, but no coherent points other than "other regions are suffering more", which is not necessarily true. Note: Spell check has changed my life. (:
polka-dots323

Con

polka-dots323 forfeited this round.
slammin

Pro

slammin forfeited this round.
polka-dots323

Con

polka-dots323 forfeited this round.
Posted by liberalconservative 9 years ago
liberalconservative
i dont think our country should have to take care of other countries
Posted by polka-dots323 9 years ago
polka-dots323
As to your comment on the charities helping Central. These are not all of the charities. Think of the minor ones, churches, and others. This webstie may not contain all of the charities that are devoted to Central. Also, think of countries sending money to Central Africa. There are many other options are help that you need to consider.

Again, I will state that it really depends on the country as an individual, not a region.

**I am sorry about how long I took to reply. I have had an extremely busy week, but I will reply sooner next time and more in depth.

*** I am SOOO SORRY!!! The clock said I had an hour, so I was trying to hurry. I will post sooner and more in depth next time, but slammin, you do not have to reply to this late argument if you don't want to. :) Again, I apoligize. :)
Posted by polka-dots323 9 years ago
polka-dots323
"Once again, I am not sure if my opponent understands what we are debating about."

I am certain of what we are debating on. That comment was just a comment which expressed my opinion of this topic of debate. I just do not really think that we should be focusing on one region only, one region that should recieve the most help.

"Yes, it is indeed helping their region. South Africa has the highest literacy rate, at 83% when the other countries stay around 50%."

It is helping the region in some ways, but are they solving their massive HIV/AIDS epidemic? Nope.

"You can see that Central doesn't seem to be doing too well in any of them."

The whole continent of Africa "doesn't seem to be doing so well."

"My opponent has not coherently and clearly stated all of her reasons against Central Africa should NOT receive more help than other regions. She has provided several rebuts, but no coherent points other than "other regions are suffering more", which is not necessarily true. Note: Spell check has changed my life. (:"

I believe I have. I am against the statement that Central is the region of Africa that should receive the most help because other regions are suffering more. This is a valid argument that you have yet to rebut. The regions suffering the most should be receiving the most help. We should be focusing on each region or country as an individual region/country and give the amount of help needed to that and not compare it to other regions. I have opposed your thesis statement and instead believe that one region should not receive "the most help." You have still not yet defined "help." Although, any help will not hurt the continent, but A LOT needs to be done to really have an impact on Africa.

I will close with asking you to take a look at these sites.

http://www.joinafrica.com...

http://www.joinafrica.com...
Posted by polka-dots323 9 years ago
polka-dots323
"Central has the same problems as any other region."

But other regions have these problems on bigger scales and therefore need more help.

"Many of the regions are recognized for having problems that stand out, but each region basically has the same problems. For instance, the Southern region is known for high HIV infection. However, every country in Africa has problems with HIV/AIDS infections. "

If all of Africa shares the same problems, why should we then be focusing in this debate on one main region deserving the most help? Yes, all regions of Africa share the same problems, but problems such as HIV/AIDS are a bigger problem in South Africa than in other regions. Therefore, South Africa needs to focus on that problem. I think it would have been better to specify a certain country or group of countries to debate on, because the region itself may contain similar problems, but a country would have been more direct and specific.

"Please make up your mind."

Uhm...I have. You must have not understood. My point in all of this is that I am not saying that Central Africa doe snot suffer from problems, but other regions suffer more. If I have confused or mislead you I apoligize.

"You say 'areas that are being publicized'. Central isn't being publicized, and that's a reason why people do not recognize it. "

Central is being publicised. http://allafrica.com...

All that I am saying is that other regions and countries are suffering more at the moment and big things are happening. Take a look on abcnews.com

You can see that many of the stories are directed towards Kenya due to all of the violence. This is becuase b ig things are happening and changing the course of history right now in Kenya. This is why they are being publicised.
Posted by slammin 9 years ago
slammin
Sorry that I didn't post the correct link! The 'You' part caught onto the link. Here is the correct link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk...

sorry for the inconvenience!
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
slamminpolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by jazzyfizzle 9 years ago
jazzyfizzle
slamminpolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by skizzils 9 years ago
skizzils
slamminpolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by brittwaller 9 years ago
brittwaller
slamminpolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by liberalconservative 9 years ago
liberalconservative
slamminpolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by rawritsmichelle 9 years ago
rawritsmichelle
slamminpolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by slammin 9 years ago
slammin
slamminpolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by meells 9 years ago
meells
slamminpolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by Harboggles 9 years ago
Harboggles
slamminpolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by polka-dots323 9 years ago
polka-dots323
slamminpolka-dots323Tied