Certain arcade games are too close to gambling (full res. in debate)

I made a very similar debate a while back. I'd like to try debating this again.

Full Resolution: Based on the definition below, it can be proposed that certain arcade games are gambling, or at least so close to gambling, that children shouldn't be allowed to use them. If gambling isn't allowed for children, these arcade games should be illegal in arcades as well.

a. To bet on an uncertain outcome, as of a contest.
b. To play a game of chance for stakes.

Layout of the debate:
Round 1: Acceptance and positions
Round 2: Pro opens, Con rebuts
Round 3: More rebuttal
Round 4: Final rebuttals and conclusions

Con will be arguing that all types of arcade games should be allowed to remain in arcades.

Good luck on this debate,
Arcade games are definitly not close to gambling. Now let me re-visit the defintions of gambling,

1. 'Play games of chance for money; bet.'
2. 'Gambling is the wagering of money or something of material value (referred to as "the stakes") on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning additional money and/or material goods.'

Arcade games are played for entertainment. Not money or anything else. Kids are too young to be putting their money on bets. Especially for arcade games.

Thank you for debating with me.

I'm going to start by simply listing some of the arcade games that should be banned, and explaining why. Proving that even one of these games should count as gambling is enough to remain true to the resolution. I will base my arguments primarily off of my definition, although many of these games should be banned even according to yours. By the way, I should note that my definition comes from here:

The arcade game Stacker is probably the one I'm most against. You can read about what it is here: Basically, Stacker is a glass box full of expensive prizes such as X-Boxes and iPods. After inserting money ($1 usually), the goal is to press the button at the right moment to stack blocks that are moving back and forth across the screen. If you stack the blocks all the way to the top, you win an X-Box.

Stacker is gambling simply because you're paying money in hopes of winning a much bigger prize. It also is usually rigged so that only 1 in 800 people will win, making it a game of chance. The above video shows the top block skipping over because the player wasn't the 800th player. Even when it's not rigged, the blocks are moving so fast that winning will require some luck combined with skill.

American Idol Superstar:
American Idol Superstar is almost exactly the same as Stacker; gameplay is just slightly different. Interestingly, this game seller even claims it's "addicting."

Ticket Redemption Games:
Many ticket redemption games are clearly luck-based and designed to be addictive, just like gambling. Just take a look inside an arcade. You'll see hundreds of spinning wheels and other devices that you place a token in, and hope that the token rolls into/through something at the right second. If this happens, you win a jackpot of tickets. Some machines even go as far as giving you a chance to win more tokens. These games are clearly designed to be addictive by luring players with a large ticket prize, and the appearance of being easy to win. They have the same structure as many casino games. These games fit under the definition of gambling since you are both betting on an uncertain outcome, and are playing a game of chance for stakes (tickets).

All Aboard:
This one is quite possibly one of the most convincing so far. Here's a video showing how it works: Without the innocent train appearance, this is obviously a copy of a slot machine, but you win tickets instead of money. It is still stakes though, so this is of course gambling.

Arcades can currently get away with gambling through the use of tokens. Since money is technically not being used directly, they can basically put any machine into an arcade. If they wanted to, they could even install token modified slot machines and get away with it.

If these arcade games were switched so that you insert money for a chance to win money, the fact that they're gambling would be obvious. Instead, they are disguised as harmless children's games. Like casino gambling, they are designed to addict them (at least temporarily) and make them waste as much money as they have trying to get the jackpot. This is wrong, and is actually the same reason why many adults are addicted to gambling.

I should make it clear that I'm not against all arcade games. Many ticket redemption games are skill based, such as ski-ball and hoop-shooting games, and I'm fine with these. It is scam games like Stacker and games of chance that I am against.

I have run out of room, so I am done for now. I look forward to my opponent's arguments.

Gambling-the act of playing for stakes in the hope of winning
illegal-prohibited by law or by official or accepted rules
Minor- not of legal age (in this case under the age of 21 or 18 if you live in Nevada)
Arcades-An arcade game is a coin-operated entertainment machine, typically installed in businesses such as restaurants, public houses, video arcades, and Family Entertainment Centers. Most arcade games are redemption games, merchandisers (such as Claw crane), video games or pinball machines.

If gambling is illegal for minors then so should arcades because the basically share the same concepts of action.

In a casino you trade in your money to get chips equal to the same value of money as you put in. These chips only have value in the casino where they are used to place bets.

In Arcades people of any age can trade in their money for tokens which can be used to spend on any game they want to play like redemption games. Games like the "coin pusher" where you put in a token and as it falls you hope it tips over more coins the more coins tipped over the more tickets are won. The seems an awful lot like a slot machine where you put in a quarter and you pull the lever the higher the score the more money you win.

Gambling is putting up stakes in hopes of winning
Well basically most games showed in a arcade shows this same concept so wouldn't this be encouraging kids to gamble without them knowing it?

Your arguments don't make sense. You seem to be debating as if you're on my side, and apparently completely ignored my opening. The resolution clearly stated that certain arcade games should be banned, and I am on the Pro side. Round 1 also stated that Con will be arguing that all types of arcade games should be allowed to remain in arcades. You are debating on the wrong side. I thought I made the sides pretty clear.

I'm not sure how this is going to work out now. Either switch sides in the next round, or you lose.

CarlaJMena forfeited this round.

It seems I have won.

CarlaJMena forfeited this round.
Posted by OneElephant 4 years ago
Someone needs to vote.
Posted by XimenBao 4 years ago
Looks like Con forgot what side she was arguing.
Vote Placed by XimenBao 4 years ago