Defro
nade_92472

Certain countries should require male citizens to join the army

Defro

Defro

Pro

I believe that certain countries should requrie by law that male citizens join the army in their twenties for 2 years. Of course they will be paid for their duty.

-Their time of service can be arranged to be compatible with them, as some people in their twenties go to college/university.

-This excludes the disabled (mentally and/or physically)

-Male citizens can evade their military duty in their twenties by joining the country's ROTC (Reserve Officers' Training Corps) when they are 15 for 3 years. This will not interfere with their education at high school.

-Males can also evade military duty if they are/are studying to be a doctor, or if they are Christian/Buddhist monks.

-Females are not obligated, but they are free to join the military or the ROTC if they wish.
_____________________________________________________________

*First round is not for acceptance although it can be if my contender wishes it to be. My contender is free to state his/her opinions as to why no country should require military service from its citizens.

I wish good luck to my contender and to myself because I'll need it!

nade_92472

Con

I accept this debate.
And I wish best of luck to Pro for ths debate.
Defro

Pro

I shall begin by presenting some of my points:

-Some countries need to maintain this policy in order to maintain a decent military. This is because the population of certain countries are so low that if military service was not required, there would not be enough soldiers in the army. And in certain countries, an army is definately neccessary. In countries with a large population, it is not neccessary to require military service because the military would still be relatively big.

-There are roughly 317,500,000 people in the United States, and it has a large military of about 2,475,967 people. This means that a ratio of roughly 1 in 130 people volunteer into the army. In a country like Taiwan however, with a population of 23,000,000, 1 in 130 people volunteering into the army would result in roughly 180,000 which is an incredibly small and weak army. Therefore, Taiwan enforced a policy that required men to have military service, although they recently demolished it due to the fact that they felt no threat from other nations.

http://countryeconomy.com...
http://www.census.gov...;
http://wiki.answers.com...

-The military encourages and/or forces men into fitness, therefore increasing the average fitness of the nation. Because many men do not want to be soldiers, they will choose to join the ROTC. However, every ROTC has a fitness and performance exam in which only the few best and most fit out of several boys registered are allowed to join. I live in Thailand and everyday I see Thai teenagers running, exercising, working out, so that they can be eligible for the ROTC. Those who don't pass the fitness exam will be placed in the military when they are older, where they are conditioned to fitness as well! By increasing the level of fitness in the nation, obviously the average level of health is also increased.

*Alas I have come down with the flu. I will leave Con with this for now while I try to get some rest.

nade_92472

Con

nade_92472 forfeited this round.
Defro

Pro

I extend my arguments.
nade_92472

Con

nade_92472 forfeited this round.
Defro

Pro

Some more points:

-It encourages discipline within the nation's youth.

-It promotes patriotism.

-It teaches how to properly handle weapons.
nade_92472

Con

nade_92472 forfeited this round.
Defro

Pro

Con has forfieted. Vote pro!
nade_92472

Con

nade_92472 forfeited this round.
Posted by E-Claire 3 years ago
E-Claire
Just to help Nade since he forfeited round 2- Pacifism.
Posted by E-Claire 3 years ago
E-Claire
Cool, just checking you had good reasons for it. :)
Posted by Defro 3 years ago
Defro
@E-Claire

I mentioned in my suggested resolution that women were free to join both the army or ROTC if they wished. But men are required to and women aren't.

If I were to say women should also be required to join the army, my contender in this debate can easily say that my resolution is flawed because women are physically and structurally weaker than men.

Which brings me to my next point:
Women are physically and structurally weaker than men. I am not discriminating or being sexist. It's a scientific fact that men are built to be physically stronger, which is an important asset to the military.

Also, society has not adopted gender equality, and that is why women are not required.
Posted by E-Claire 3 years ago
E-Claire
Um, why not females too? Not that I'd mind particularly, being a girl, but why do people think that men should join the army, and not women too?
Vote Placed by Seeginomikata 3 years ago
Seeginomikata
Defronade_92472Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Complete con forfeit.