o0jeannie0o
Hoppi

Challenge debate, Please read carefully! Everything good has an evil side and every evil has a good

o0jeannie0o

Con

I would like to test a theory I have found in a text on Wicca. Wiccans believe that nothing is inherently evil or inherently good. That all "good" brings a bit of "evil" and that all "evil" brings a little "good".

An example in the book is that a devastating flood will bring nutrient rich soil for plants to grow.

I would like my opponent to come up with the most evil things and/or the most good things that can happen (on earth). Multiple statements or "events" in each argument preferred.

It will be my job to find the opposite, good side or bad side, of my opponents topics.

Points, I hope, will be given to you if you stump me and I cannot refute, or to me if I can find good answers to each of your "events".

This has a short argument time and conduct points may be taken for forfeitures.

special rule * If you make ridiculous scenarios than I get to do the same*

Examples:

EXAMPLE OF OPPONENT TOPIC:

* DEATH IS EVIL BECAUSE YOU LOOSE SOMEONE YOU LOVE*

* SAVING A HURT BIRD FROM DEATH IS GOOD*

EXAMPLE OF MY REFUTE:

*DEATH IS ALSO GOOD BECAUSE IT ADDS NUTRENTS TO THE SOIL AND HELPS YOU LEARN EMPATHY WILE VALUING YOUR OWN LIFE AND THE LIVING AROUND YOU*

* SAVING A HURT BIRD MEANS STARVING THE WORMS AND OTHER DECOMPOSING FORCES*
Hoppi

Pro

1. Stabbing a baby in the eye.

2. Listening carefully to a friend.

3. Drinking a glass of water.

4. Driving your car up on the sidewalk to hit random strangers.
o0jeannie0o

Con

1. stabbing a baby in the eye will blind or kill the baby depending on the implement used.

The positive side of this is that moms may appreciate that their own child is not dead or blinded.
Doctors will also be paid because of this incident and if the baby dies then the environment will consume the babies organic matter.
If the baby is blinded forever it is possible they will still get to drive (just one eye) and get to park in the handicap parking space, something ever driver would appreciate.
Other handicap services will also be available such as scholarships, grants, government money, and special treatment.

2. listening carefully to a friend
The negative side to this is mainly the time wasted when you could be doing something else, also a lot of the time listening to a friend can get boring and annoying.
They also may think of you when they want to complain and whine the next time.

3. Drinking a glass of water the negative side:
It makes you have to pee, an inconvenience at best.
It also may mean you have to get up and pause what you are doing to get that glass of water, also inconvenient.
Drinking cold water can give you stomach cramps, drinking water on a empty stomach will also make you feel sick.
If none of these are true in the situation then you also have this: for every glass of water you drink there is that much less water that is safe to drink in the world. You could have taken that water from a thirsty child. Shame!

4. Driving your car on the sidewalk and hitting strangers. The positive side:
You may have fun doing this depending on your views of excitement.
If you get caught you will get media attention, something that you may enjoy.
You also get to go to prison where you get free meals, shelter, and in general, taken care of.
The people hit will be:
a) dead, a cause for nature to enjoy their body, others to appreciate their own life and loved ones,
b) disabled - where they get the special treatment, possible parking spot & disability money.
c) minor hurt- bragging rights at least.
All victims or their family will also get money from the lawsuit.
At very least doctors will be paid for their time working on your victims , possibly specialists.
Hoppi

Pro

1. You can't assumed that a blinded baby would make other mothers happy. Maybe they would be mostly sad and horrified to see an injured baby.

I don't think emergency room doctors get paid per patient. They're usually on some kind of salary and get paid the same no matter how many patients present during their shifts.

The baby may never grow up and drive, and may never access scholarships etc. Those are not inevitable consequences of being blinded. They are not inherent to the act.

2. Listening carefully to a FRIEND. Many people actually like their friends and would find listening to them pleasant and interesting.

3. Drinking water does not actually take away an equivalent volume of water away from a thirsty child. That's just not true.

4. You need to prove that there is good INHERENT in the action. For example, I may have fun, or more likely, I will dislike injuring people. Having fun is not an inevitable consequence of the action, nor is getting media attention or enjoying it, or getting taken care of in prison, or any of your other suggested consequences.

5. Being mindful. For example, if in the ocean swimming, being aware of the pleasant feeling of the water on your skin.

6. Picketing a funeral. For example, holding up a sign saying "[That person] was an @sshole and I hope he burns in hell". Let's assume that the person doing the picketing dislikes holding up signs, upsetting people, or getting media attention.
o0jeannie0o

Con

1. Extended, assumptions are for entertainment value. Appreciation caused by empathy, not "happiness". gratefulness that the kid didn't die and/or that it wasn't your kid getting stabbed, and if it did die benefiting nature are valid. Doctor may get paid by the hour but work hours are decided through the amount of patients. I.E one more high risk patient on the average day/week/month will get them at least one more hour of work

2. Listening, I am not sure we have an actual scenario here... I could believe my friend is talking about something interesting or not. When I think of this I think my friend is wining about their boyfriend for an hour OR we are talking about a shared hobby, both are not really productive use of time.

Additionally Bonding with this person, as listening creates, also means intensifying a relationship. As a relationship that is intensified requires more effort and thus energy to keep up. Upkeep of a relationship is not only exhausting but time consuming and expensive.

3. Yes it may take clean water away from other sources rather then a thirsty child but it still takes it away (clean being a key word). Other arguments extended

4. speculation adds entertainment value, this is not a super serious debate. I mean, I am attempting to defend killing babies here. Other then speculation I added the momentary value that the victims get as well as anyone else indirectly associated with the accident. I extend the prison argument. Free food, shelter, among other things is a positive effect and if you will assume that you dislike hurting people, I assume you will turn yourself in (the good guy).

Other then that mowing people down will insure you don't continue to drive (at least that vehicle) and hurt more people. Will get the others sympathy from their loved ones (no matter what condition they are in) and cause empathy in others. Also blood spatter is good for the neighborhood grass.

5. Mindfulness is said to cause grief and high sensitivity (http://www.theguardian.com...) It is also unproductive and can throw off your sense of passing time.

6. Picketing a funeral positives:
- getting the intended thought provocation in at least one person. Picketing a funeral is pretty bad, it would be done with disregard for respect and ethics causing people to believe the picketers is an @sshole but also provoking thought in others that the deceased did something wrong.
- brings attention to the issue of 'picketing funerals' both from media and the funeral goers.
- the picketers gets fresh air, and exercise
- the picketers gets to unleash some pent up anger and stress towards the dead
Hoppi

Pro

Eh sorry, I didn't know it was a troll debate. I thought it was real Wiccan philosophy.
o0jeannie0o

Con

o0jeannie0o forfeited this round.
Hoppi

Pro

Hoppi forfeited this round.
o0jeannie0o

Con

It is real, Does not mean it cant be fun.
Hoppi

Pro

You said your assumptions and speculations were for entertainment value, which makes it silly for me to challenge them. Anyway, I would have given different examples if it was supposed to be entertaining, because stabbing a baby in the eye just isn't funny. :/

Sorry! I misread the intent of your debate.
Posted by o0jeannie0o 1 year ago
o0jeannie0o
People are people and they will never be just good or just evil
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
A shame about pro dropping the water point.
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
missmedic
Things are just things, only people can be good or evil.
Posted by o0jeannie0o 1 year ago
o0jeannie0o
Idiots believe evil exists.
Posted by Max.Wallace 1 year ago
Max.Wallace
Idiots believe evil has a good side.
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
*gets popcorn*
Posted by CookieMonster9 1 year ago
CookieMonster9
I am really excited to see how this goes. Should be good.