SteveJo
I-am-a-panda

Challenge me

Con Tied Pro

SteveJo

Con

I am new to the site, so please challenge me. You can be Pro/For anything you want and I will argue with you. Such as if you believe god exists i will argue that he does not. If you gays have a right to marraige i will argue that they dont. Please keep in mind that these are not my real opinions.
I-am-a-panda

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate beforehand. The resolution we shall be using will be is the following: "Prostitution should be legalised in the United States of America".

I will be Pro on this topic. Seeing as my opponent has not yet posted an argument I too will reserve mine until the second round, but I will use this round to establish some definitions. I suggest my reserving the third round for rebuttal. I reserve the right to use my previous opening argument from other debates.

== Definitions ==

Prostitution - The act or practice of engaging in sexual intercourse for money. [1]

Money - A commodity or asset, such as gold, an officially issued currency, coin, or paper note, that can be legally exchanged for something equivalent, such as goods or services. [2]

Legalised - To make legal [3]

[1] = http://dictionary.reference.com...
[2] = http://dictionary.reference.com...
[3] = http://dictionary.reference.com...
SteveJo

Con

I accept your challenge,
Prostitution should stay illegal in the U.S.

I'll start with this since I am new to the site and don't know how to begin these.

Disease:
It's an elementary topic I know, but please think about it. Over 12 million people in the U.S. a year get an S.T.D.. Imagine if Prostitution were legal. The number would certainly go up. Of course many of those S.T.D.s already come from prostitution, but if it was legal the spineless blue-balls nerds would all hire prostitutes and then most likely get a disease. Of course you may practice safe sex, but that is never 100 percent and most people would not be willing to make the sacrifice of making sex feel less good if they are having intercourse with a prostitute they don't even know. Then of course when the man gets a disease, he will find it harder to find a mate and have children. Which means he will only sleep with more prostitutes and have even more diseases. I think that is a good argument. Next topic.

Public Reaction:
If prostitution is made legal the Christian society will surely cause an uproar on society. They will be very mad (or at least pretend to be mad since most Christians do not follow their beliefs and judge others) and go on strike. Now of course we can handle it, but why should we even allow it to happen in the first place? Christians aren't the only ones who will react negatively. People who are not that smart will immediately cause an uproar without thinking twice about it. It is just something that we should not mess with, if a bad reaction starts it will be very hard to resolve so why start the mess in the first place.

Women:
Most women will be appalled that prostitution is legal because they will say it exploits them in a negative way. Then one will over react and say it infringes on their rights which we both know is not true. It does not matter though because they will start preaching that women have no rights even when they have plenty. I know it sounds like I'm getting off topic here so I will leave it at that.

Anyway to save Americans from getting diseases and from pointless uproars by women and religious societies, prostitution should stay illegal.
I-am-a-panda

Pro

I will now post my argument, taken from the following debate: http://www.debate.org...

=== PRO ARGUMENTS ===

ECONOMIC BENEFITS:

If Prostitution was legalised, the government could regulate it and tax it. It would create more revenue for the government through this. Furthermore, it would add another legal market to the economy and lead for a bigger economy for the nation which legalises it.

The legalisation of Prostitution has benefited many countries which legalised it economically, and is a significant percentage of economic activity.

"The prostitution industry accounts for 5% of the GDP of the Netherlands, between 1 and 3% of Japanese GDP and in 1998, the International Labour Organization (ILO) estimated that prostitution accounted for between 2 and 14% of the total economic activity in Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines" - http://sisyphe.org...

WORKER BENEFITS:

The legalisation of prostitution would lead to better working conditions for prostitutes. The legalisation of prostitution has led to better health conditions in countries which legalise it, such as Senegal:

"In Senegal, HIV prevalence among pregnant women has been below 1% for more than a decade. A strong multisectoral response, an effective STD control programme and early legalization of prostitution have been credited for this low level. Special clinical services, for example, offer regular examination and treatment for registered sex workers. Not only has there been a significant decline in STD rates among sex workers and pregnant women between 1991 and 1996, but genital ulcers are also no longer common and chancroid is reportedly rare." - http://www.liberator.net...

Another example is Nevada within the U.S. Currently, only selected areas of Nevada have legalised prostitution. In this system, women are regularly checked for STD's. Women are tested for Gonorrhoea and Chlamydia weekly, and monthly for HIV and syphilis (http://www.leg.state.nv.us...). It also worth noting there has not been a single case of a prostitute in the legalised brothels of Nevada getting AIDS, and this is since 1989. (http://www.fff.org...)

This is comparable to areas where prostitution still illegal, where "roughly half of the street prostitutes in Washington, D.C., and New York City are HIV-positive. In Newark, New Jersey, the estimate is that close to 60% of all prostitutes carry the AIDS virus." (http://www.fff.org...)

It is also worth noting that, as it stands, prostitutes have little legal recourse, and workers rights do no exist, which, if prostitution were legalised, would allow prostitute to get better working conditions, allow to join unions, among other things.

This shows that when the sex industry is legalised and regulated, the workers within it are less prone to STD's than in the illegal sex industry.

SOCIETAL BENEFITS:

There is a general reduction in violence and criminal activities with the legalisation of prostitution, and a lower crime rates in accordance with the level of punishment given to prostitution.

"It is unknown if there is a correlation between laws that prohibit sex and higher crime rates, but the reverse appears to be more enlightening. The countries where prostitution is legal do not suffer from a high number of violent crimes." - http://www.liberator.net...

CONCLUSION:

In conclusion, the legalisation of prostitution leads to a bigger economy. There are also benefits for workers in the form of legal recourse and significantly lower STD rates. There is also a reduced crime rate.

I await a rebuttal from my opponent.
SteveJo

Con

Ok, I see your argument.

The government could easily tax prostitution, but people would try and find an underlying reason for it. The government is very hard to trust these days. People would not understand fast enough why it was being taxed and think it was corrupt. Of course plenty of politicians would use it in a corrupt way. Religious people would still get mad and Religion is something that must be handled delicately.

People will be checked for diseases weekly or monthly? Sounds like a huge hassle doesn't it? Not to mention that there will be high prices on each check-up. So how does that boost the economy if we are paying medical bills every week or month?

Also there are not cures for all S.T.D.s so in finding out someone has one, that will make them less desirable to sleep with. So that person will make less money and not be able to pay her taxes.

There are also plenty of other sexual occupations such as a Dominatrix or Stripper. They may not always give a sexual release but it is still a good way to explore your sexual urges safely and still get plenty of satisfaction from the experience. Also neither of the are illegal so there is no risk of going to jail.

So why legalize prostitution when there are plenty of other ways to control your sexual urges?

I would like to add something that I wanted to put in round two
Support:

The people who support the legalization of prostitution are mostly perverts. There is nothing wrong with perversion, but pervy-ness can turn into sickness and that sickness can ruin peoples lives
I-am-a-panda

Pro

I will now address my opponents argument. I thank my opponent for this engaging debate.

"It's an elementary topic I know, but please think about it. Over 12 million people in the U.S. a year get an S.T.D.. Imagine if Prostitution were legal. The number would certainly go up. Of course many of those S.T.D.s already come from prostitution, but if it was legal the spineless blue-balls nerds would all hire prostitutes and then most likely get a disease."

>> Firstly, my opponent has shown no source to indicate 12 million people get an STDs per year in the US. The figure appears to be much higher. According to this source, "estimates that 19 million new infections occur each year" [http://www.cdcnpin.org...]. Regardless, as mentioned in my argument very few of these diseases are transmitted through prostitution, and this is when prostitution is still in an unregulated environment.

Secondly, as addressed in my argument in round 2, STD's have gone down significantly in Senegal when prostitution was legalised and regulated, and in Nevada the have been no cases of HIV\AIDS at all since 1989.

"Of course you may practice safe sex, but that is never 100 percent and most people would not be willing to make the sacrifice of making sex feel less good if they are having intercourse with a prostitute they don't even know. Then of course when the man gets a disease, he will find it harder to find a mate and have children. Which means he will only sleep with more prostitutes and have even more diseases. I think that is a good argument. Next topic."

>> As mentioned above, the STD rate will drop when prostitution legalised. The side effects, such as it being harder find a mate, is irrelevant. Most STD's are cured easily. And according to my opponent, the end result is 12 million people (In reality 19 million) in the US going unmarried, which is untrue.

"If prostitution is made legal the Christian society will surely cause an uproar on society. They will be very mad (or at least pretend to be mad since most Christians do not follow their beliefs and judge others) and go on strike. Now of course we can handle it, but why should we even allow it to happen in the first place? Christians aren't the only ones who will react negatively. People who are not that smart will immediately cause an uproar without thinking twice about it. It is just something that we should not mess with, if a bad reaction starts it will be very hard to resolve so why start the mess in the first place."

>> Christians may get mad at a lot of things, but that should not stop the implementation of abortion. For example, abortion. According to this article, "78 percent [of evangelical Christians] stating abortion should be illegal in all or most cases.", and " Born-again Christians who are not evangelical were opposed to abortion by a 55-39 percent margin. Frequent churchgoers fell into a similar 60-38 percent range opposed to abortion.".

However, the opposition of Christians to abortion has not stopped implementation of Roe Vs Wade and has not resulted in any directly related violence. Thus, simply because prostitution disagrees with the bulk of Christians (Presuming so, my opponent has not cited any statistics) does not mean the other benefits should be ignored.

"Most women will be appalled that prostitution is legal because they will say it exploits them in a negative way. Then one will over react and say it infringes on their rights which we both know is not true. It does not matter though because they will start preaching that women have no rights even when they have plenty. I know it sounds like I'm getting off topic here so I will leave it at that."

>> As addressed above, simply because one group of society disagrees with prostitution does not mean it's advantages and benefits of it being legalised should be completely ignored.

As for the arguments presented by my opponent in Round 3, most are responded to here. As for his concerns on the cost of regular STD check-ups it has not made prostitution in Nevada unprofitable.

My opponent has stated women should take up a position as a dominatrix or stripper, they are not as in demand as prostitutes, and offer, while sexual, different services.

As for my opponent stating most supporters of prostitution are perverts, this is a statement which fails to recognise the economic benefit involved as well as improving conditions for people employed in the sex trade.

My opponent has failed to source his argument, and he has also failed to negate the resolution.
Vote Placed by boredinclass 5 years ago
boredinclass
SteveJoI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by Kikematsu 6 years ago
Kikematsu
SteveJoI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by vivalayeo 6 years ago
vivalayeo
SteveJoI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by Dingo7 6 years ago
Dingo7
SteveJoI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by Rodriguez47 6 years ago
Rodriguez47
SteveJoI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by LaissezFaire 6 years ago
LaissezFaire
SteveJoI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by I-am-a-panda 6 years ago
I-am-a-panda
SteveJoI-am-a-pandaTied