#ChangeTheDate Australia day should be changed from the 26th of January to another date.
Debate Rounds (3)
Significant to a majority Though it is true that Australia day is often referred to as "Invasion Day" and a day of hurt and heartache, it celebrates the survival of one of the oldest cultures on Earth. Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders have the right to mourn about the past and how it has affected our present world but they should also think about the positive impacts of Australia Day being on the 26th of January. This leads me to the main point of my argument, Australia Day should be considered as survival day for Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders as it was the day to the start of the negative impacts that surrounded Australia after the first fleet. The past experience of massacre years of when Australia was declared "Terra Nullius" to our present day has wisely influenced Australian about the wisdom, courage and strength that the Indigenous Australians stood for. It is believed that Australia Day is a great way to expose this as it was a start for many brave Indigenous Australians to welcome newcomers into their society. Nowadays, it is great to be reminded that Australia Day is great for celebrating parts of our culture and remembering the generations of Australians who have come before us.
There are many more reasons why Australia day"s date needs to be changed, but obvious reasons why, is to end the conflict and protests against this ongoing debate. This date needs to be changed to a more historically meaningful event, one with a message of uniting and embracing everyone's differences. If the date is changed it will end the protesting and violence that occurs during this time of the year. Julia Gillard was "trapped by furious aboriginal protesters" on the 26th of January 2012, according to "Day of shame shows why we must end this racial charade" by Andrew Bolt (Herald Sun). This event and many others could have been avoided if the leaders of country realise the change that needs to be made. According to http://indigenousx.com.au... , protests have been happening regarding the inappropriate date of Australia Day since 1938. If they keep delaying the changing of Australia day"s date, then this protesting and conflict will continue to rage on. The clear solution is to change Australia Day from January the 26th to another more appropriate date.
It is clear through the points stated above, why the date of Australia Day must be changed. The current date of January the 26th is not currently a united celebration, and a step towards everyone acknowledging the history and identity of Australia is by changing the date to an event, which shows unification and proper acknowledgment of Indigenous Australians. " 85 per cent of people believe Australia Day is a day for celebration" according to the Herald Sun. What about the other 15% of people apart of our nation? From the source http://www.creativespirits.info... Indigenous Australians refer to Australia Day as Invasion day, when they are reminded of the " Loss of their sovereign rights to their land, loss of family and the loss of the right to practice their culture". They should not have to feel that way on Australia Day. It is so understandable why they would be protesting against the current date and why they will continue to fight for it. Changing the date from the 26th of January to a more appropriate date resembling unification will bring more peace to the Indigenous Australians on Australia Day. If politicians and leaders of our country continue to refuse to change the date, the violence will continue to occur on the 26th of January, Australia Day, every year. Which is why that is only logical to have the date changed.
No votes have been placed for this debate.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate
This debate has been configured to only allow voters who meet the requirements set by the debaters. This debate either has an Elo score requirement or is to be voted on by a select panel of judges.