rockyou9
leet4A1

Changing the school year to all year

rockyou9

Pro

When it comes to making the school year last throughout the entire year, I would have to support the movement to do so. In colonial times, the only reason students did not have to atten school during the Summer was so that they could help their family with the farm. Now that our entire country runs off of industry, virtually none of our students still live on a farm. Therefore, there is no economic incentive to keep the Summer break. Not to mention the educational benefits for students and opportunities for teachers. Teachers are given a criteria that they must teach their students by the end of the year. Often they struggle to teach it all if they ever do. So giving teachers this extra time to present and teach the students the information would highly benefit everyone and our future generations.
leet4A1

Con

Dang, just realized I've only got 1000 characters. :(

"Therefore, there is no economic incentive..."

Here are a couple:
- Every extra minute the school is open, extra costs include electricity, insurance, paying teachers, etc. These costs can only get passed on to parents or the Government.
- Kids like to get Summer jobs to earn a bit of extra cash, which also boosts the economy.

"...educational benefits for students..."

It's simply not true that students at year-round schools learn more or perform better than others. A study was conducted by a statistician named Paul von Hippel which showed that there is no academic advantage to year-round schools over normal ones. A discussion can be found here: http://www.scienceblog.com...

"Teachers are given a criteria..."

My opponent has provided no evidence to show that teachers struggle to get through the material. I would ask that he does in the next round please.
rockyou9

Pro

My opponent is only pointing out the negative economic impacts that the year-round school year would have on the economy. With the extra time that teachers would have to work, the more they would get paid. Teachers tend to be middle-class consumers, which means that they are members of a class that keeps the economy afloat by spending. Saying that a higher income for this group of people to use will not benefit the economy is mere ignorance.

My opponent states that student like to get Summer jobs to get extra money which will help our economy. What is stopping these students from getting a job during the school year? Balancing job and school will not only bring in extra cash for the student, but it will also teach them how to balance responsibilities.

And I'm sorry, but the most evidence I can provide for you is that I myself am a 11th grade teacher. I know it sounds illegitimate, but true.
leet4A1

Con

"With the extra time that teachers would have to work, the more they would get paid."

Yes, but as I said in Round 1, that money has to come from somewhere. It would benefit teachers, not the economy. Besides, if teachers are really deserving of a pay-rise, it should come without having to extend the school year, for the reasons I've provided.

"What is stopping these students from getting a job during the school year?"

Trying to do well in school. Students would, obviously, do worse overall if they had less time to spend on school-work. This is a bad thing.

"And I'm sorry, but the most evidence I can provide for you is that I myself am a 11th grade teacher. I know it sounds illegitimate, but true."

This is not "evidence" at all. Also, my opponent stated in Round 1 that teachers "often" struggle to get through the material in a traditional school-year. I would ask why some teachers manage to get through it while others don't. Seems some teachers need to try harder.
rockyou9

Pro

"It would benefit teachers, not the economy."
There are 6.2 million teachers in the United States. Saying that they have no impact on the economy is mere ignorance. As this large portion of consumers is paid more money, the more they will spend and buy, which in turn will boost our economy. And because school boards and governments on the community level refuse to raise the teacher's salary, the only way for teachers to make more money would be to work all school year.

"Trying to do well in school. Students would, obviously, do worse overal if they had less time to spend on school-work."
This may be true, but sooner or later, the students are going to need to learn how to balance responsibilities, and there is no better way to learn than from experience.

Finally, I'm sorry that I have no evidence supporting the fact that teachers have a set criteria that they must teach their students, I just couldn't find any sources online with the detailed list.
leet4A1

Con

"There are 6.2 million teachers..."

While I agree it WOULD have an impact on the economy, what I'm arguing is that the impact would be negative. The money to pay these teachers has to come from either the Government or parents. Either way, the economy is worse-off. My opponent has also failed to acknowledge or rebut the other negative economical impacts I presented in Round 1.

"Sooner or later, the students..."

I agree, but I argue that later is better than sooner. School years are for schooling and setting one's life up by getting the best grades possible. They have 60 years after high school with which to learn to manage time between tasks.

"I'm sorry that I have no evidence.."

That's fine, but it's a point you can't use to make your case. My opponent didn't answer to my suggestion that if SOME teachers can manage the time effectively, ALL should be able to.

My opponent has not answered to my evidence that year-long schooling has no impact on student performance.
Posted by Dingo7 4 years ago
Dingo7
I think a good angle to have taken this if there had been more character space would be one just advocating that students need to take a break to stay sane. I know from personal experience that going through 8 hours of formal schooling plus another 4ish for homework really wears on you after a while. Summer break allows students (and probably teachers) a time to relax somewhat and recharge their batteries.

Also, having taken the AP U.S. History class, I can sympathize with the grueling pace and workload. It is a large amount of material to cover.
Posted by ournamestoolong 4 years ago
ournamestoolong
Hey, rockyou, what is your position on school uniforms. I would like to hear a teachers viewpoint on the issue.
Posted by rjshi 4 years ago
rjshi
i just want to say the reason why Chinese kids are extremely smart is due to the fact that their parents are demanding of them in their work thus, it is not the schools just having extra days making them smart.
What will we learn in a few extra days of school?
we need quality school days
not quantity.
Posted by nonentity 4 years ago
nonentity
I'm surprised Pro has no points at all...

"While I happen to agree with Pro's position, he did not do too good a job defending it."

I agree with this.
Posted by MasterDebaterMK 4 years ago
MasterDebaterMK
I have two aunts and family friends that are teachers; I have nothing against them, just throwing that out there. I kinda came off snarky in that last comment.

Working more hours everyday vs. only a few hours a day gets me a car faster. Just trying to get my goal done quickly. After all, won't be waiting and making pizzas for the rest of my life (well hopefully not) so i'm working just to buy a car, and save up money for college, ect. That good chuck of time off gives me a great chance to get money saved up.

"Why wouldn't you want to go to school year round if it will help teachers get better pay? For God's sake, our economy does not run off of a bunch of whiny teens."

I was trying to say if that's your only reason for a year around school system then that was lacking. I guess I made it too personal. And I'm all for better pay for teachers, don't get me wrong, i'm saying having that be one of the main contentions of a debate on this is lacking.
Posted by rockyou9 4 years ago
rockyou9
Right back atcha' leet. :)
Posted by ournamestoolong 4 years ago
ournamestoolong
"Much easier said than done"

Granted, this is hard when classes are overcrowded. But I do believe teachers could be more efficient.
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
"Teachers don't need more time, they need to make use of the time they have."

Much easier said than done.
Posted by ournamestoolong 4 years ago
ournamestoolong
I agree with a "Year-round"schedule that doesn't increase days, but decreases the summer break and adds those days to other breaks. If you take away all breaks, kids will stop trying. They won't have any time to prepare for the workforce, and I will shoot someone. Teachers don't need more time, they need to make use of the time they have.
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
C, S/G: Tie
A: Con - While I happen to agree with Pro's position, he did not do too good a job defending it. He dropped the argument on educational benefits and was unable to support his economic claims.
S: Con
Vote Placed by Shingure 4 years ago
Shingure
rockyou9leet4A1Tied
Vote Placed by MasterDebaterMK 4 years ago
MasterDebaterMK
rockyou9leet4A1Tied
Vote Placed by Nails 4 years ago
Nails
rockyou9leet4A1Tied
Vote Placed by wonderwoman 4 years ago
wonderwoman
rockyou9leet4A1Tied
Vote Placed by CommanderTaco 4 years ago
CommanderTaco
rockyou9leet4A1Tied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
rockyou9leet4A1Tied
Vote Placed by atheistman 4 years ago
atheistman
rockyou9leet4A1Tied