Deathbeforedishonour
KiwiJudas

Che Guevarra should have led Cuba instead of Fidel Castro

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

Deathbeforedishonour

Pro

Che Guevara and Fidel Castro are the most widely known figures in the Cuban Revoltution both had commanding positions in the war and both faught for the same side. They were both friends, but after the war Castro was the one who became leader of Cuba. Che went on to other countries to start more revolutions.[1][2][3] I say Che should have been leader of the country of Cuba and it shall be the duty of Con to prove me wrong.

Contention 1: Che was a better leader then Castro. During the Cuban revolution, Che led his men to more victories, and was the one responsible for the taking of the cities near Havanna before waiting for Casro to come and lead the men into a victory perade into the capital city.

Contention 2: Che was nicer then Castro. Che never executed political prisoners, but when the revolution was over Castro executed all of the political prisoners. Che would have been more merciful.

Contention 3: Che was smarter. While Che was a doctor, Castro never went to collage. This means Che was smarter then Castro, and therefore Che would have been a better leader.

In Conclusion, Che was more fit to lead Cuba then Castro and should have been the leader of Cuba.

Vote Pro

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...

[3] http://en.wikipedia.org...
KiwiJudas

Con

Thanks for the chance to be you're opponent in this amazing debate.
I believe my opponent made a good job on describing who Fidel Castro & Che Guevara are & the Cuban revolution.

Cuban Revolution's History:

Fulgencio Batista was dictator of Cuba from 1933 - 1944 then from 1952 - 1959. I would like to add that Fulgencio was supported by the United States government during his dictatorship over Cuba. But that's another point or debate. He killed over 20,000 people during his time in power with U.S. supplies. As a result of all this Fidel Castro led a movement called "July 26 Movement." The movement was a success and in 1959 Fulgencio fled to the Dominican Republic where he found refuge with his ally Rafael Trujillo. Then found political asylum in Portugal where he ended up dying of cardiac arrest.

Rebuttal I.

My opponent states that Che was a better leader because he won more victories. Yet we can see that the mastermind behind the entire plan of the Revolutionary Movement was Fidel Castro. I'd like to make a simpler example of the relationship between Che & Fidel. It was similar to Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks. Martin L. King was the mastermind behind the Civil Rights Movement and Rosa Parks played an important role in the bus boycott which was a huge step towards the success of the Civil Rights Movement. Yet should we give Rosa P. all the credit of the Civil Rights Movement because she played an important part in it? I believe not.

Rebuttal II.

Che was nicer then Castro, okay Che never executed political prisoners but after the revolution was over Che left Cuba and moved on with his life & helped in many other revolutions. Plus Castro killed all the politicians which were from Batista government which if I was in his position would of done the same thing.

Rebuttal III.

I believe my opponent didn't do his homework well. Fidel Castro in 1945 entered law school at the University of Havana and graduated. Plus I'd like to point out that just because someone did not go to college makes them dumber then a person that did go to college. For example if my opponent is not aware which I believe he is not Juan Bosch never graduated from High School and he was the founder of the Dominican Revolutionary Party & the Dominican Liberation Party and is awarded as one of the best writes in Latin America. So yes Fidel Castro went to Law School and was an excellent student.

Case I.

This is my first reason why I believe Fidel Castro was the perfect fit to be the leader of Cuba. First of all he was Cuban himself & Che was from Argentina. I believe people would disagree with a man from another country to come and rule theirs. Plus the Cuban citizen's loved Fidel and trusted him & gave up their life for him. They decided him as their leader. He was the perfect fit because he risked his life for his country and tore them away from dictatorship. After he became leader of Cuba he immediately gave free health care to every single person in Cuba. Yet my opponent believe he wasn't considerate? I believe Fidel Castro is one of the few men in modern day history that gave their all for their country and was an extremely smart man and to this date is still adored by his fellow politician allies and his Cuban citizens and people like me around the world.

Conclusion.

We can see that the perfect fit was Fidel Castro and not Che. Che played an important role in the Cuban revolution but that does not give him the role of leading a country which he is not even a citizen from. He was there to help an ally a friend and free a nation. With this I conclude first round. I will now let my opponent reinforce his cases & rebut my case.

Vote Pro.
Deathbeforedishonour

Pro

Deathbeforedishonour forfeited this round.
KiwiJudas

Con

Did not expect this from the opponent but either way my cases and rebuts still stand.

Obviously vote Con.
Deathbeforedishonour

Pro

KiwiJudas

Con

This is sad, I thought better of the opponent.

It's obvious at this point to vote con
Deathbeforedishonour

Pro

I sincerly appologise for my tartiness I was grounded for the past five days and I didn't have access to my computer.

R1: My opponent says that Castro was the mastermind behind the entire revolution. This is untrue since their were a number of other comanders such as Castro's brother and Che who Castro talked with and made his plans from there. Che was Castro's bestfriend and he talked the plans over almost everytime. Also, the MLKJ thing is true however, it is not relevent because Castro was the leader but had a lot of influence on his judgements from Che.

R2: Che did not just simplely leave Cuba he stayed and was given charge of the Cuban Military, and other public positions. This does not say in anyway why Castro was better. Also, the killing of those politicians was the act of a tyrrant. Che from his military record would have just simply exile the defeated foes. Two wrongs don't make a right!

R3: My opponent says gives a premise that is not warranted. I ask for evidence of Castro's 'collage education'. Also, the Dominican revelutionary that my opponent referes too was a unedcucated person leading and uneducated people. Very few people from that country were educated. Cuba is different because it was controlled by America for many years and was developed, and quite a large amount of its people were educated. Cuba required a leader who was educated.

C1: It does not matter where they were born. They were communists. Communist believe in total equalit and internationalism. By the end of the Cuban Revelution most of the population of Cuba were Communists. Therefore, my opponent's case is invalid. Furthermore, The people loved Che just as much as Castro and so did the international community, To this very day Che remains one of the best known and loved people by tons of people world wide. Also, right after their victory Che became a Cuban citizen, so all the Cubans thought of Che as another Cuban.[1]

in Conclusion,

Che was a better leader.

Che was a more merciful leader.

He was better educated then Castro.

It does not matter where he was born.

Vote Pro.

[1] http://www.timetoast.com...
KiwiJudas

Con

It's about time the opponent response now to his rebuts.

Rebuttal I.

First of all the opponent does not understand what I state in my first case. Fidel Castro was the mastermind behind the Revolutionary Movement. Wether Che and his brother's were part of it do not make them the mastermind. Fidel Castro created the idea of a Communist Revolution against the tyrant of Cuba not Che nor Fidel's brother, just Fidel Castro. Therefore why should Che get the credit that Fidel Castro earned? I also tell the opponent to research the Bus Boycott, a huge milestone towards the Civil Rights Movement does he want any more judgement from a partner then the judgement Rosa Parks gave to her partner Martin Luther King? It is totally relevant It's just the opponent had no valuable rebut.

http://www.watson.org...

Rebuttal II.

What I am trying to conclude is that even though he helped during the Cuban Revolution he helped other countries with their Revolutions such as, his owns country revolution "The Argentina Marxist Revolution." The killing of the politicians was not the act of Tyranny but yet the act of killing those which put his people through suffrage, and were of no good to the Cuban society. It's totally understandable, why he would kill them as I have stated before I would of done the same. Plus Che showed mercy through his actions of not killing them and not all great leaders tend to show mercy.

http://www.britannica.com...

Rebuttal III.

This is sad to debate with an opponent which truly believes that Fidel Castro didn't go to college. He should of done research on this topic. But since he asks for evidence I shall give him evidence. In the link below under Sources you will find a valuable link and It strictly states how Fidel Castro "FINISHED" his education as a lawyer in Havana. It's in the third paragraph in the link below. Also it is truly sad and even disrespectful to call a man like Juan Bosch the creator of PRD and PLD uneducated. Not only was he awarded as one of the smartest writes in Latin American history, but is remember as a hero across the world. He wrote many books such as "La Manosa" which was and incredible book, so how dare the opponent call this man uneducated? Also I tell this to the opponent the only reason why Cuba lasted so long in It's beginning stages as a Communist country was not because of so called development that the U.S.A invested in it that you claim, rather the aid that the Soviet Union gave to it such as medicine, food and military aid. Also how can the opponent call Cuba a developed country when it was ruled by a "DICTATOR?" I mean Bastista killed It's people, he stoled from the so why if the country was so well and developed how the opponent claims then why would people risk their life to break away from It's oppressive government?

Rebuttal IIII.

I will tell this to the opponent, in Communism we are all equal but that doesn't relate to the fact that people would be comfortable with a man from another country come and rule theirs? I mean It's a different country, different culture, different history many differences. So I conclude that the opponent's case are invalid like his rebuts were. Yes the Cuban's love Che for his devotion, but Fidel Castro was one of them, he knew his countries history and he lived it.

Case II.

First of all I'd like to point Che is dead, Fidel Castro isn't. So obviously the best choice was made when they choose Fidel Castro. The opponent talks about him being uneducated and states that the acts he made were of a tyrant. The opponent obviously does not understand what Fidel Castro means to Cubans. He is their president for more then forty-three years, why would they keep such a bad men as the opponent wants to prove as president for forty-three years? Obviously he must have the support of his people to keep him in office for so long. Also may I add once again the people chose Fidel Castro, the cuban citizens therefore they knew what they wanted, and who they loved.

Conclusion II.

Fidel Castro was educated, loved by his fellow citizen's, and the mastermind behind the Revolution. Therefore he was the best fit to rule the country of Cuba.

Sources.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk...
Deathbeforedishonour

Pro

I forfeit
KiwiJudas

Con

KiwiJudas forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 5 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
DeathbeforedishonourKiwiJudasTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro concedes.
Vote Placed by Haasenfeffor 5 years ago
Haasenfeffor
DeathbeforedishonourKiwiJudasTied
Reasons for voting decision: fought for his