Glitter2998
bman7720

Cheerleading IS a sport

bman7720
Started: 1/12/2016 Category: Sports

Glitter2998

Pro

I believe cheerleading IS a sport because you have to run, train, and condition just like any other sport. It's hard work to be a cheerleader.
bman7720

Con

I will argue against the proposal that cheerleading, in this case competitive cheerleading, is not a sport.

This issue has seen countless court rooms, mainly in an aspiration to achieve the recognition of cheerleading as a sport to help institutions achieve their gender equality standards. The issue with this is that cheerleading is, on balance, a sexist activity. Many of the gymnastics involved in cheerleading are centered around the trend of female agility. While there are males that can achieve the standards of cheerleading, it is heavily in favor of female participants. I would like to point out that this debate is about wether or not cheerleading is a sport, not if it should be. The topic of the debate clearly states this.
Glitter2998

Pro

I totally disagree. Boys can be cheerleaders. We need them to be bases!
bman7720

Con

Pro addresses that male cheerleaders do exist, which I acknowledged in my argument. While there are males that can be used as bases, the sport is still predominantly female. Very specific conditions are required for a male to be able to participate in cheerleading, in the competitive field that is.

Cheerleading also relies upon a sporting event to even exist. Cheerleading's primary purpose is entertainment at sporting events, such as football or basketball. Again, I am not arguing that cheerleading should not be a sport, rather that at the present time it is not.
Glitter2998

Pro

Look up 'lists of sports'. Its on there
bman7720

Con

Such lists are opinionated. While the AMA has stated it's stance on it(1), currently the Supreme Court of the United States government has not ruled cheerleading an official sport contributing to required gender and equality requirements in a school setting. I would like to point out that Pro has failed to properly provide any intellectual argument in favor of the topic, rather stating opinionated and broad points.

~Sources~
(1): Tanner, Lindsey. "AMA Officially Designates Cheerleading a Sport." USA Today. USA Today, 10 June 2014. Web. 13 Jan. 2016.
Posted by whiteflame 10 months ago
whiteflame
Alright. Well then, I'll ignore your insults for the time being.
Posted by Glitter2998 10 months ago
Glitter2998
no. stfu
Posted by whiteflame 10 months ago
whiteflame
Rather than insulting me, then, would you care to explain why that vote should not have been removed?
Posted by Glitter2998 10 months ago
Glitter2998
@whiteflame

Yes, it was directed at you.
Posted by whiteflame 10 months ago
whiteflame
@Glitter

I'm guessing that was directed at me? Insults aside, do you honestly think that that vote was reasonable?
Posted by bman7720 10 months ago
bman7720
Glitter, I suggest that for debating purposes, you work on your formatting. While, on a personal level, I completely agree that cheerleading should be seen as a sport, I still made structured arguments against the proposal of the debate.
Posted by Glitter2998 10 months ago
Glitter2998
Seriously? U are an as*shole
Posted by whiteflame 11 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: TranquilSpirit// Mod action: Removed<

7 points to Pro. Reasons for voting decision: To say the cheerleading is sexist, when almost no women play football on any level from recreation to professional, is completely biased of the con.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) The voter doesn't explain condust, S&G or sources. (2) The voter insufficiently explains arguments. The sole focus of this RFD has abolutely nothing to do with whether or not the topic was affirmed or negated, and ignores Pro's arguments despite voting for her.
************************************************************************
Posted by Glitter2998 11 months ago
Glitter2998
Ummm yeah it is!!!!!! There are cheer competitions happening every day. Look it up, dumbass.
Posted by donkal 11 months ago
donkal
Just want to put a definition of sport up:
'an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment'

cheerleading is not competitive.
Vote Placed by lannan13 11 months ago
lannan13
Glitter2998bman7720Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro really doesn't make an argument while Con refutes everything Pro says. Con also brings up a source to back his arguments I thus have no choice, but to give him the debate.