Mak-zie
lowan99

Cheerleading is a sport

Mak-zie
Started: 2/7/2012 Category: Sports

Mak-zie

Pro

I will argue that cheerleading (competitive cheerleading, not sideline cheerleading) is a sport, and Con will argue against this. First round acceptance. I look forward to this debate and wish my opponent the best.
lowan99

Con

If I understand you right you want me to agrue that cheerleading is a not a sport. I think that cheerleading is not a sport because I think it is a hobby that someone gets into. Now some people will probably be upset about this but think about it. Lets take chess club for example. Chess club is a after school thing too. Just like cheerleading. Chess Club is something that people get into and do little competition over. Just like cheerleading. Cant't wait to hear what you have to say.
Mak-zie

Pro

Sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

1.The reason cheerleading is sport is because of the definition of sport. Competitive cheerleaders go to regionals, sectionals, state, and even nationals. They compete against teams, follow rules, and judges decide who win. That is the exact definition of sport. And if you've been to even one cheerleading practice, you know it's hard core, very unlike a golf or bowling practice, which are both considered sports.

2. Gymnastics is a sport, no one can argue that. The best gymnasts go to the Olympics. And gymnastics is a part of every good cheerleading routine. At junior high cheerleading competitions, I have seen many full twists, an extremely hard gymnastics skill. Gymnastics is a huge part of cheerleading.

3. Dancing is a sport. And as we all know, it can be very tiring. In every cheerleading routine, they dance, a lot. And not slow dances at all, they are extremely fast and difficult. So with two sports combined in cheerleading, how can it not be a sport?

4. Furthermore, it makes no sense at the junior high level to consider Scholastic Bowl, where you answer questions, a sport over cheerleading, with much physical exertion. There is a saying "Athletes lift weights, cheerleaders lift people," that should speak a lot about cheerleading. Lifting people up, or mounting, is very difficult, especially the advanced mounts. I doubt anyone but the cheerleaders, who are arguably the best athletes, could do this.
http://www.aacca.org...
http://www.varsity.com...

Finally, according to IHSA, cheerleading is a sport.
http://ihsa.org...
lowan99

Con

Here is of course another definition of the word sport. Sport is all forms of physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical fitness and provide entertainment to participants. So yeah I may lose my case here but lets take a look at this. Sport is all forms of physical activity. Lets stop here for a second.
Are you going to tell me that cheerleading is a sport on this one? You are not being physical at all. You wave a baton. Sure yeah for the men that do it, which I think they are the lucky ones, they have to lift the girl and hold her. So yeah sure I guess you would have to put about 1% physical activity in it. But lets look at the second part. Aim to use, maintain or improve physical fitness. Are you going to tell me that cheerleaders are cheering to maintain or improve physical fitness? Can't wait to hear what you have to say.

Definition- http://en.wikipedia.org...
Mak-zie

Pro

My opponent:
1.Really? Cheerleaders "wave a baton?" Like a said before, months of hard core practicing go into it, and many competitive teams go to several competitions and learn different routines. I have participated in cheerleading and track, and running for three straight minutes in track is much easier than performing a cheerleading routine. Watch the routine below and then tell me that it's easy. (By the way, that is only dance. Most teams do both cheer and dance in one routine.) You have to be extremely strong mentally and physically to do that.

2. If cheerleading just consists of "waving batons," then why is it the leading cause of injuries among women, more than any other sport? According to Live Science, cheerleading accounts for 65.1% of catastrophic sport injuries in high school, and even more in college. Cheerleading is the top leader of fatalities, followed by gymnastics and then track.
http://www.livescience.com...
http://espn.go.com...

There are two reasons that people think cheerleading is not a sport:
1. Sideline cheerleading gave cheerleaders a bad reputation.
2. Many people are still stuck on anti-feminism.

Conclusion:
1. Cheerleading meets all the requirements for the defintion of "sport."
2. Cheerleading combines two sports in itself.
3. In most cases, athletes that cheer are the best in all other sports they do.
4. Cheerleading is the leading cause of injuries among women.

-Thanks to my opponent, this has been an interesting debate.
lowan99

Con

OK Maz-kie you win. You have proven the point congratulation.
Posted by debating_deb 4 years ago
debating_deb
I agree that cheerleading is a sport.
Posted by Jpicard 5 years ago
Jpicard
Congress actually doesn't reconize cheer leading as a sport. A high school needed a certain amount of girls varsity sports and when they proposed cheer leading the didn't allow it because they said it wasn't a sport. They were talking about competitive cheer leading, too.
Posted by kieran1091 5 years ago
kieran1091
Difficulty does NOT automatically make something a sport. Differential Calculus is "hardcore", but that is not a sport. The whole "they work hard, it's not easy, so it's a sport" argument is ridiculous. I'm not saying it's not hard. I could NEVER do the things cheerleaders do, but that doesn't make it a sport. And the fact that it's not a sport doesn't put it down. It can still be a respected form of competition, just in a different category. Also, any competition in which the victor is determined solely by judging, should NOT be considered a sport. Bias and different ideas of what is "perfect" conflict with being fair and just. In sports, there should be a predetermined set of rules, so each team or competitor knows the whole time what they can and cannot do to be the victor. That's why in a 5k race, there is no judging. If you cross the finish line first, you win. But in gymnastics, back in the Cold War era, there was undoubted bias by the USSR judging. This ruins the equal chance for anyone to win.
Posted by cheerleadersrock 5 years ago
cheerleadersrock
Ithink that side-line cheerleading is a sport becasue its just as hard as if not harder than competitive cheerleading. I do both competitive and side-line cheerleading and cheering at basketball games is harder for me because we tumble on a hard wood floor... not spring floor. We do all the same stuff as when we do competitions...
Posted by tiscooler 5 years ago
tiscooler
Someone's been watching P&T:BS...
Posted by TheBammBoozlerr 5 years ago
TheBammBoozlerr
In my opinion, there are games, and physical competitions. A sport has to be both.
Posted by Lickdafoot 5 years ago
Lickdafoot
interesting debate. i was a "competitive" cheerleader from about 6 -13. i'll remind myself to read & vote on this.

@zealous, it means cheerleading at competitions rather than sports games.
Posted by Sisyphus67 5 years ago
Sisyphus67
Any way someone defines a sport (unless there is one which says it has to involve some ball or other) cheerleading will match the definition.

"Are you going to tell me that cheerleaders are cheering to maintain or improve physical fitness?"

Dude has obviously never seen a competition.
Posted by Zealous1 5 years ago
Zealous1
What is competitive cheerleading?
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
These debates depend entirely on how you define sport. It should be included in the first round.
Vote Placed by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
Mak-zielowan99Tied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO won due to a concession by con and superior arguments.
Vote Placed by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
Mak-zielowan99Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Lol fail on Cons part no offense.... Have you even seen chearleaders practice? Its obviously not "Waving a baton" lol but good try.. :D
Vote Placed by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
Mak-zielowan99Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro demolished cons weak arguments, and then concession.