Cheerislife
atoy120

Cheerleading is a sport

Started: 11/23/2013 Category: Sports

Cheerislife

Pro

Dictionary.Com defines a sport as "an athletic activity that requires physical prowess or skill and often a competitive nature."

Cheerleading definitely fulfills this criteria maybe even better than other activities commonly called sports.
The first part of the definition was "an athletic activity requiring skill or prowess". I don't know how many of you had actually paid attention to the cheerleaders besides just looking at them based off their looks, but their formations, flips, tumbles and tosses are kind of difficult to pull off.

I don't know if you and one of your friends have ever tried to chuck a hundred pound or more person in the air and catch him or her before, but it doesn't seem very easy to me.

On to the next part, "requiring skill or prowess." The previous activity I just explained, I think that would take a little bit of skill and prowess, not just something you pick up your first time.

Your argument is invalid
atoy120

Con

It's not a sport because all they do is just jump around it's not that hard. Is it broadcasted as a sport on channels? No. Do many people consider it a sport? No. That's the reason they are at football games, basketball games, etc. It's part of the entertainment while you watch real sports.
Cheerislife

Pro

Actually if you have even been to a cheer compo we have to earn points we do not just sit on the side lines and cheer on our team we represent them we do not just jump around we stunt aka: throw people in the air from their feet or one man them,that means we only them By both their feet with one hand we need extra upper body strength to do this. We have to Lear to do front flips off solid ground. You say it's not a sport yet I bet you can't even do your splits or a front flip. And since it requires skill and an large amount of effort because if you drop your flyer(the person you lift) it can lead to death because your throwing her 15ft in the air.
atoy120

Con

atoy120 forfeited this round.
Cheerislife

Pro

Cheerislife forfeited this round.
atoy120

Con

Pretty much everything requires upper body strength. Is pretty much everything considered a sport? No. And yes I can do a front flip even 4 year olds can. And everything requires skill and effort.
Cheerislife

Pro

Cheerislife forfeited this round.
atoy120

Con

atoy120 forfeited this round.
Cheerislife

Pro

Cheerislife forfeited this round.
atoy120

Con

atoy120 forfeited this round.
Posted by MartinMSC2014 3 years ago
MartinMSC2014
It is a sport as one must be quick focused and enduring. It is scarier than hockey I play hockey and cheerleading is one sport that I would never even think to do. They risk their lives and must be quick and smart as they either are in the air or tossing one up or catching one it is crazy.