AimeeGleek17
mdc32

Cheerleading is a sport

mdc32
Started: 10/22/2014 Category: Sports

AimeeGleek17

Pro

Accept or not
mdc32

Con

I accept this debate. As Pro has not provided a debate structure or any definitions, I will do so now.

Definitions

Cheerleading -

the action or skill of a cheerleader (1)

Cheerleader -

a person who leads spectators in traditional or formal cheering, especially at a pep rally or athletic event (1)

a person who is a member of a group (typically a group of young women) who shout out special songs or chants to encourage the team and entertain the crowd during a game in sports like American football and basketball (2)

Sport -

a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other (2)

Note: I am American, so when I say football it is American football. I will refer to the other sport of the same name as soccer.

Arguments

To start, I would like to mention that cheerleading is not listed as a sport according to this definition. Also, ESPN does not count it on their list of sports (3), even though cheerleading is surely more prominent in society than sports such as rugby or horse racing, which are both listed.

Cheerleading does not exist without other sports.

The definition of cheerleading requires us to define cheerleader. Both definitions listed state that cheerleaders perform in a group at an athletic event, such as football or basketball. Also, think about it logically. A team cheering for a school without a sporting event is pretty useless. School spirit, woohoo! Let’s cheer for… our school? Ourselves? What would this team even be cheering for? There is no point in cheerleading if there is not another sport present, most commonly basketball and football.

Cheerleading competitions are not really cheerleading.

Gymnastics is a sport, and I will agree with this wholeheartedly. But when there is a competition for cheerleading alone, it is just gymnastics combined with dancing. Why should this be a sport, when gymnastics and dancing both exist and are common? Changing basketball just a little bit and calling it an entirely new sport just doesn’t make sense - it’s just a variation of basketball.

Physical activity doesn’t make something a sport.

There are a multitude of physical activities that are not a sport or even a part of one specific sport. Here are a couple examples that come to mind: strength training, such as push ups, curl ups, crunches, etc. and yoga or zumba and things like that. I will not deny that all of these require physical activity in some way or another, but this doesn’t automatically make them their own sport.

Cheerleading is not a sport, as seen by my points above. It is physically intensive and requires concentration, coordination, and teamwork. However, it is not a sport on its own; it merely supports other sporting events.

1 www.dictionary.com

2 www.merriam-webster.com

3 http://espn.go.com...

AimeeGleek17

Pro

AimeeGleek17 forfeited this round.
mdc32

Con

Extend. No arguments made, so I have no rebuttals.
AimeeGleek17

Pro

I apologise my computer broke so I was unable to post.The truth is, there really isn"t a solid definition of "official" sport.
When necessary, the office of Civil Rights makes this determination on a case by case basis. The Women"s Sports Foundation has narrowed the field down of what is considered a sport to these elements that are commonly agreed upon to define a sport:

" It must be a physical activity which involves propelling a mass through space or overcoming the resistance of mass. (Stunting" check)!
" "Contesting" or competing against/with an opponent is required (Competition" check)!
" It must be governed by rules that explicitly define the time, space, and purpose of the contest and the conditions under which a winner is declared. (Time limit, mat size, score sheets" check, check, check)!
" Acknowledgement that the primary purpose of the competition is a comparison of the relative skills of the participants. (You know those competitions on ESPN? Those are national championships" check)!
For an activity to truly be considered a sport, it must involve competition against others. In competitive cheerleading, squads compete against each other in a head-to-head fashion and are evaluated according to a standardized set of rules. This point is the real bone of contention when it comes to questions about cheerleading as a sport. Many squads still primarily exist to support other sports teams. Moreover, there is no one overarching governing body or set of rules for the sport of cheerleading; instead there are several independent organizations that sponsor their own championship tournament. Nonetheless, members of each of these organizations do compete against each other in scheduled, organized matches, just as in other sports.
Cheerleading. What comes to mind when you hear this word? Is it those annoying girls on the sidelines of football games screaming cheers? Or is it the most popular girls of the school shaking pom poms? In the past, cheerleading has been referred to as a pep club to help bring up school spirit. This is not the case anymore. Cheerleading, unlike many other sports, has changed drastically since it first started out in 1880 and was (originally dominated by men). It now not only is a sport, but it is one of the most physically demanding and dangerous ones as proclaimed by sports critics and doctors.

http://www.varsity.com...
http://www.livestrong.com...
mdc32

Con

I would like to point out that the majority of my opponent's argument is copy/pasted directly from sources. However, the point of this is not for me to debate against written articles; it is to debate against Pro, which is not happening as it is.

I will go through Pro's arguments/ copied articles rather quickly. Pro says there is no official definition of a sport. How is this true? I posted a definition of sport in my last round. If this is to be discredited, then are there any definitions of anything? Also, Pro's source goes on to state four separate points that make something a sport. This seems like an official definition to me.

Next article states that there is no "overarching governing body" for cheerleading, when one of the previous requirements for a sport was "It must be governed by rules that explicitly define" multiple different aspects of the sport. It seems to me that Pro's sources and their argument all disagree with each other.

Now, on to Pro's original words. Let's answer the first question. Yes, in fact, cheerleaders often are "those annoying girls on the sidelines of football games screaming cheers." This seems to be a very common perception of cheerleaders in general, at least where I'm from.

Pro then states that cheerleading has changed vastly from 1880, when it supposedly started. Also, they believe that many other sports haven't changed since then. Basketball was invented in 1891, and nobody can dispute the fact that basketball has changed immensely. On another note, what does changing have to do with a sport? Wrestling has been around for millennia, yet nobody challenges its status as a sport.

Also, there is no source for Pro's claim that cheerleading is one of the most dangerous sports. I would not hesitate to say that football, rugby, and wrestling are all more dangerous and physically intensive.

This concludes my rebuttal of all of Pro's arguments. I have no need to add more points as Pro didn't acknowledge any of my arguments from last round. Thanks for reading.
AimeeGleek17

Pro

AimeeGleek17 forfeited this round.
mdc32

Con

Extend yet again. Vote Con!
Posted by mdc32 2 years ago
mdc32
DDO seems to remove formatting when pasting a text from another document. Sorry for how weird this first round looks.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
AimeeGleek17mdc32Tied
Reasons for voting decision: double ff = inevitable lost
Vote Placed by Zanomi3 2 years ago
Zanomi3
AimeeGleek17mdc32Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Con because of the forfeitures. Spelling and Grammar remains equal. Arguments to Con because, as stated, Pro's arguments do seem to contradict themselves at points, as well as Con's arguments going largely unrefuted. Sources to Con, not because Pro didn't use any, but because Con used them in a more appropriate way (wasn't simply copy and pasting).
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
AimeeGleek17mdc32Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture