Zaradi
ZakYoungTheLibertarian

"Cheese" is, on balance, detrimental to video games

Zaradi

Con

Another fun debate.

I'll be taking the position that cheese is not detrimental to video games. My opponent will take the stance that cheese is detrimental.

Cheese is defined as a non-meta strategy that typically focuses on abusing a certain aspect of the game or an aspect of something in the game to easily win. Some examples would be the recently remodeled Master Yi in League of Legends, as well as the infamous Cannon Rush in Starcraft II.

Meta is defined as popular and/or effective strategies to winning a game.

BOP is on my opponent, and as such he can use the first round to put out some arguments. If he chooses not to it's not that big of a deal, but y'know xD

GL HF
ZakYoungTheLibertarian

Pro

Only loser's who don't know how to macro properly do homo little all in strategies that they saw some korean pro do. Build your barracks in your own base FFS.
Zaradi

Con

Unfortunately, after taking a look at my opponent's debate history, I fear that this last two sentances from him will be all that we will see from him in debate. In preparation for the worst, with hope for the best, I'm simply going to outline my points. If he forfeits, I will re-hash them in short manner so that minimal time is wasted. If he does show up, I shall treat this as a normal debate and go into detail for my reasons. But for now, the summary:

1. Cheese allows for player creativity within gameplay.
2. Cheese allows for added layers of strategy and counter-strategy to certain meta-strategies.
3. Cheese allows for further game balance by correcting inconsistencies and imbalances.
ZakYoungTheLibertarian

Pro

Here's how 90% of cheese games play out - noob does a cheese strategy. Cheese strategy fails. Noob quits. Well the first five minutes of the game are the boringest, and cheese players are forcing us honourable strategic minded opponents to live through them time and time again. Just because they can't hack it in a real game. Sad. Sad sick nerds.

How much creativity does it take to do some lame unorothodox strategy you copied off youtube or from the dude who beat you with it? Not much. The real creativity is in handling the mid game demands of a legitimate game. Figuring out how to defeat your opponents army. That takes creativity! Do you try to force them to engage from the low ground? Flank? Bide your time and counter? Harass their expos? And on the defensive side as well. O M G you went out and built a barracks in the middle of the map, which has been done a million times before. What a precious little genius.

My opponent's points are all vague, unsubstantiated and generic. Frankly this is why I seldom finish debates - people come up with the most idiotic arguments and it's like beating up a retard. You just start to feel sad for them after a while.
Zaradi

Con

Zaradi forfeited this round.
ZakYoungTheLibertarian

Pro

"Unfortunately, after taking a look at my opponent's debate history, I fear that this last two sentances from him will be all that we will see from him in debate. In preparation for the worst, with hope for the best, I'm simply going to outline my points. If he forfeits, I will re-hash them in short manner so that minimal time is wasted."

My, my, aren't you the hypocritical piece of s h i t.
Zaradi

Con

Zaradi forfeited this round.
ZakYoungTheLibertarian

Pro

ZakYoungTheLibertarian forfeited this round.
Posted by Zaradi 3 years ago
Zaradi
Very funny xD
Posted by JustinAMoffatt 3 years ago
JustinAMoffatt
By "on balance" do you mean detrimental to the balance of video games? Haha.
Posted by Zaradi 3 years ago
Zaradi
Okay okay hang on. I think we need to redefine cheese to really only RTS/MOBA like games, since that's really what I'm trying to discuss here. Besides, I don't even think the concept of Cheese exists in Skyrim unless you're talking about the food cheese xD
Posted by Maikuru 3 years ago
Maikuru
There are holes in games I like to exploit, like the countless Skyrim tricks that let you quickly level. Is that cheese?!?
Posted by Zaradi 3 years ago
Zaradi
I don't think spamming is inherently cheese, it kinda depends on what's being spammed.
Posted by Maikuru 3 years ago
Maikuru
Can you define cheese a bit more? Do you mean things like spamming? I'm not familiar with the term.
Posted by ClassicRobert 3 years ago
ClassicRobert
I mean, is spamming a move "cheese?"
Posted by Zaradi 3 years ago
Zaradi
If only I were more familiar with fighting games to know what you were talking about .-.
Posted by ClassicRobert 3 years ago
ClassicRobert
So would the act of button mashing in a fighting game, or learning noob saibot's teleport attack and spamming it count as cheesing?