Chess should be recognized as a sport!

Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

I'll add more detail later but I'm kind of just polling to see if anyone's interested in this topic

I accept the debate. As there is no debate structure required and BoP is on Pro as the one making the assertion I will simply use Round 1 for acceptance.

as I said in the first round I didn't want anyone to accept this debate until further details could be added. Its common practice and courtesy not to accept a debate that isn't ready. For that reason I ask any prospective judge to avoid voting one way or the other on this 'debate'.

Why would you instigate a debate if you weren't prepared for someone to accept it? And if you intended only to have the debate accepted on your terms, why not make the qualifications to accept the debate impossible, requiring your approval?

That said, I offer the following options:

1. We use Round 3/4 to make this a 2 round debate regarding your thesis "Chess should be recognized as a sport"

2. We mutually agree this "debate" will be a draw. And maybe next time don't instigate a debate then complain because someone accepted it. If you want to debate something but don't have the details worked out don't instigate the debate yet. Or at least make it so you have to approve an acceptance. You can't blame me for simply accepting a challenge.

I'm being nice BTW by offering that second option. This seems to me to be the debate equivalent of

1. e4 e5
2. Bc4 Nc6
3. Qh5 Nf6...o darn!!
4. Too late, you took your hand off it.

It's definitely not the equivalent of blundering a checkmate. It's called common decency and common sense on this website. Accepting when you know your opponent doesn't intend to debate yet is called a being a dick, which Nobody on this site respects.

If you want to have a 'draw' which is the same thing then that's fine with me, either way I have no time to debate right now and no interest in debating someone with poor sportsmanship. however, If con wants to play a game of chess, sure, I'd whip you in a game for shittles and giggles.

You resort to immature name-calling (seriously, "being a dick"?) and in the same breath accuse ME of poor sportsmanship? Unbelievable.

And "I have no time to debate right now"? THEN DON'T POST THE DEBATE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!

And not to nitpick, but I never suggested you "blundered a checkmate". I suggested you blundered into a checkmate. The person actually executing the checkmate in my hypothetical did so flawlessly.

You've only further proven how unsportsman-like and hostile you really are.

I hope Con will exercise his right to read, and utilize some common sense while debating on this website in the future.

And I again encourage any prospective voters to ignore this debate, as we shouldn't reward behavior that promotes trolling and rudeness. I wish con luck in his future debates.

"You've only further proven how unsportsman-like and..." In what way have I been unsportsman-like? I accepted an OPEN CHALLENGE, then when you backed out graciously offered a draw, then when you resorted to adolescent insults I tried to respond with logic and rational thought, to which you have once again responded with insults.

"..hostile you really are". That one I'll cop to. I am hostile. For the reason, see previous paragraph.

"I hope Con will exercise his right to read". I hope Pro will exercise his right to think before he posts.

" utilize some common sense while debating on this website in the future." Don't be the Instigator for a debate you don't want!! There's some common sense!!

"shouldn't reward behavior that promotes trolling and rudeness". Let's start with rudeness. I have not fired a single insult at you, despite you calling me a troll and "a dick". And somehow you suggest I'VE been the rude one?! As for trolling, let's see. You posted something online to provoke a response, had no intent of actually carrying an honest discussion of the topic you originally posted about, and when simple logic was pointed out you responded with sophomoric insults and STILL refuse to discuss your own original premise. That's right down the checklist for Hall of Fame Internet Troll, First Ballot Inductee.

"And I again encourage any prospective voters to ignore this debate". At least there's one thing we agree on. To be honest I'm embarrassed to be a part of this debacle. And quite honestly highly disappointed. I was looking forward to a fun discussion of a game I suspect we both love. Why you had to send it so insanely off the track is beyond me.

"I wish con luck in his future debates." And I you. Perhaps you should stick to being the Contender rather than the Instigator however, just so this situation isn't repeated with someone else. Just looking out for everyone's well-being.

If you ever want to have an actual debate on this topic let me know.
Posted by TheJuniorVarsityNovice 1 month ago
That's absolute BS. Look, I'm sorry if the words that actually describe your behavior seem like insults but maybe you should check your own behavior. The chess issue was never a part of this debate and I'm not interested in having a dick waving contest with you over chess. I was simply inviting you to play a friendly game. Read the description of the debate. I said IM JUST POLLING. What part of that don't you get? So excuse me for thinking you must either be an idiot or a troll. That's common courtesy on this website, if you don't like it, nobody cares. I hope I never have to match with you because opponents like you are the absolute worst, most inflexible people to deal with. I won't be responding to anymore of your garb sir.
Posted by SM29 1 month ago
I never challenged you to a chess game. What I did do was accept your challenge for a debate regarding chess. I'm sure you're quite the exceptional chess player. For all I know you're the love-child of Bobby Fischer and Judit Polgar. That was never the issue at hand. The issue is that you posted an open challenge to debate a topic then backed out. If in fact you simply wanted to feel out whether you had an opponent you could have posted on the forum, or posted an opinion poll, or (as I noted) made the debate criteria impossible to accept. Instead you simply issued an open challenge. Then when you backed out I said fine let's just call it a draw and move on even though I'm pretty confident I would have won. You responded to that magnanimity with immature insults.
we can go over to and have a math there if you want
@TheBenC The resolution is not "Chess is a sport"
Posted by TheBenC 1 month ago
This is dumb. I am an avid, ranked chess player and chess is not a sport. A sport requires physicality. Chess is a great game but it has nothing to do with sports. Be happy it is the best game ever and move on. Don't give me that crap about how it can take hours and endurance is a physical attribute. If that is the case, Axis and Allies is a sport too.
Vote Placed by Bored_Debater 1 month ago
Reasons for voting decision: This was a terrible embarrassment... Pro didn't say "I'm not finished yet, don't join until I've finished the details" in round one. He proceeded with insults in the following rounds. I'm pretty tempted to reward con with points. 1. Insulting continuously 2. Making no arguments Since BOP is on pro, you failed to convince me why it should be a sport, therefore, I'd reward con arguments. Since you were being pretty rude, I'd reward con conduct point. If there was no agreement to a draw, con would be the winner right now.