polishgirlinar
i-win-347

Chewing gums should be allowed in schools.

Con Tied Pro

polishgirlinar

Con

Chewing Gum in school should not be allowed. I will allow my opponent to make the first argument for this debate.
i-win-347

Pro

As my oppenent is so humble to let me go but I'd would like him to go first. I still don't want to waste your time so I'll show you people the history of chewing gum.

The ancient Greeks chewed mastiche - a chewing gum made from the resin of the mastic tree.
The ancient Mayans chewed chicle which is the sap from the sapodilla tree.
North American Indians chewed the sap from spruce trees and passed the habit along to the settlers.
Early American settlers made a chewing gum from spruce sap and beeswax.
In 1848, John B. Curtis made and sold the first commercial chewing gum called the State of Maine Pure Spruce Gum.
In 1850, Curtis started selling flavored paraffin gums becoming more popular than spruce gums.
On December 28 1869, William Finley Semple became the first person to patent a chewing gum - U.S patent #98,304.
In 1869, Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna introduced Thomas Adams to chicle.
In 1871, Thomas Adams patented a machine for the manufacture of gum.
In 1880, John Colgan invented a way to make chewing gum taste better for a longer period of time while being chewed.
By 1888, an Adams' chewing gum called Tutti-Frutti became the first chew to be sold in a vending machine.
The machines were located in a New York City subway station.
In 1899, Dentyne gum was created by New York druggist Franklin V. Canning.
In 1906, Frank Fleer invented the first bubble gum called Blibber-Blubber gum. However, the bubble blowing chew was never sold.
In 1914, Wrigley Doublemint brand was created. William Wrigley, Jr. and Henry Fleer were responsible for adding the popular mint and fruit extracts to a chicle chewing gum.
In 1928, an employee of the Frank H. Fleer Company, Walter Diemer invented the successful pink colored Double Bubble, bubble gum. The very first bubble gum was invented by Frank Henry Fleer in 1906. He cal
led it Blibber-Blubber. Fleer's recipe was later perfected by Walter Diemer, who called his product Double Bubble.

So obvesuley chewing gum has been in culture of human kind for a long time. Hoprfully my oppenent can clarify his agrument because this topic can become very broad.
polishgirlinar

Con

How can "Chewing gums should be allowed in schools." a very broad topic. It is a very simple topic.

I believe that gum being allowed in schools is several things; distractive and unsanitary.

Distractive
When a student is in class taking a test and the person beside of them is chewing gum, the student taking the test becomes distracted. This is because chances are the gum chewer is not at all chewing, but is smacking their gum. A gum smacker is not only distractive, but is annoying. Therefore, the test taker is now distracted and annoyed, thus their test score is lower.

Unsanitary
Gum being allowed in school is unsanitary because of the simple fact that people do not know how to throw it in the trashcan when they are finished with it. Instead of using a trashcan to dispose of their gum, they use the underside of their chair, desk, walls, or the floor. The next class period a new student come to sit by that wall at the desk, in the chair. Then they drop their pencil in the gum on the floor. Next they go to scoot their chair back up to the desk and stick their fingers in the gum under the chair. And to bring it all together they lean their head against the wall (now their is gum in their hair) and jump (now their is gum on their knee).

I realize that my arguments are based on hypothetical cases, however they can and have happened to real people in real everyday cases. Thus, gum should not be allowed in schools!
i-win-347

Pro

I thank my opponent for answering back but now I'll negate his contentions and build up some of my.

1."Gum chewing lowers test scores". This is simply untrue because a study back in 2002 shows when chewing gum blood flow increases to your brain and releases certain chemicals to stimulate it as well. Here is the study:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESEARCH REPORT
Clinical

Mapping Brain Region Activity during Chewing: A Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study
M. Onozuka1,*, M. Fujita1, K. Watanabe2, Y. Hirano3, M. Niwa4, K. Nishiyama5, and S. Saito6
1 Departments of Anatomy and Basic Neuroscience and
2 Physiology, Gifu University School of Medicine, 40 Tsukasa-machi, Gifu 500-8705, Japan;
3 Department of Veterinary Physiology, Faculty of Agriculture, Gifu University, Gifu 501-1193, Japan;
4 Department of Radiology, Yoro Central Hospital, Yoro 503-0013, Japan;
5 Department of Biochemistry, Kanagawa Dental College, Yokosuka 238-8580, Japan; and
6 Oral Health Association of Japan, Tokyo 170-0003, Japan;

*

Mastication has been suggested to increase neuronal activities in various regions of the human brain. However, because of technical difficulties, the fine anatomical and physiological regions linked to mastication have not been fully elucidated. Using functional magnetic resonance imaging during cycles of rhythmic gum-chewing and no chewing, we therefore examined the interaction between chewing and brain regional activity in 17 subjects (aged 20-31 years). In all subjects, chewing resulted in a bilateral increase in blood oxygenation level-dependent (BOLD) signals in the sensorimotor cortex, supplementary motor area, insula, thalamus, and cerebellum. In addition, in the first three regions, chewing of moderately hard gum produced stronger BOLD signals than the chewing of hard gum. However, the signal was higher in the cerebellum and not significant in the thalamus, respectively. These results suggest that chewing causes regional increases in brain neuronal activities which are related to biting force.

Also a study in Seattle that has been reported by newspapers shows on how test taking increases as you chew gum.

9-year-old Mackenzie Woelz brought the gum chewing idea to school. She found a scientific study that says chewing gum boosts brain power. "Test scores increased 35%, Chewing gum increased blood flow to brain cells," said Woelz.
The British study also found gum chewing stimulates insulin production, and that helps boost memory.
This forever and indefinitely proves that chewing gum can help test scores.

2. An annoying gum smacker can lower test scores. Again this is an easy question to solve. A gum smacker if loud and annoying enough can be called by what teachers say a "disturbance to a learning environment" and thus the kid is forced to spit it out until he learns responsibility to chew the right way. Also if the teacher doesn't notice but you do you quietly ask them not to chew gum that way or alert your teacher thus everyone has the chance to chew gum but have to chew it in a proper manner.

3. That kids will stick it under desks. Well for that I have found more studies from Settle, Dallas, and Ohio proving the only reason why they would stick it under their desk because they're afraid if the teacher saw the gum that they would be in trouble. Also if your still skeptical I have interviewed kids on this subject. Take for instance Mike a 5th grader who I ask the subject about and he gave me around the same answer above. So if chewing gum is allowed more of it would be in trash cans than desks.

As for some of mine ideas about the subject.

Gum is becoming like cell phones today; everyone has it and uses it in class. I say this because it's too hard for teachers and school officers to search for an item all day while the teachers should be teaching and the offices keeping the peace. For gum everyone uses it and it would be too hard for management to handle all those kids by searching them for gum. It's pointless, by making gum allowed in schools it helps kids what they want and they'll know that they won't be in trouble for having it. Thus as I stated above more gum in trash cans and kids will learn responsibility with it.

Finally with in my first round I've stated the history of gum. As you can see civilizations have been enjoying it for centuries and has been part of our past and culture. By taking it away your essentially saying this part of our culture is dirty and unethical. So gum should be allowed in schools for what I have stated above, thank you and I wait for my opponent's rebuttal.
polishgirlinar

Con

While as you say that gum chewing improves test scores for those chewing, but for those beside those chewing it will lower test scores. The student not chewing will be forced to listen to the other chewing the gum, unable to do anything about it because they are taking a test. Therefore, by allowing gum chewing to go on in schools, test scores are neither increasing nor decreasing, but remaining the same. Thus, there is no benefit for it there.

When sitting in class students do not usually have the opportunity or, in some cases, the proper manners to ask the student to dispose properly of the gum. And I have never personally heard or heard from others, of teachers calling a student out for chewing gum.

As for the placement of gum under and on objects besides trashcans, have you ever stuck your hand in gum? Chances are that you have. Everyone has at one point or another. The fact is that students do not get out of their seat to properly dispose of their gum, they stick it under desks. If gum were not stuck under desks then scrapping the gum off of the desks would not be a form of punishment for students for various reasons.

In the country of Singapore Chewing Gum has been banned. This is a true example of how gum can be banned altogether. Below is an article about the punishment for being caught chewing the gum. The article proves that if banning gum in a country is possible then it is most definitely possible in schools.

Chewing gum laws in Singapore explained (for you foreigners)
Bert '07 (Bert lives in Singapore, (http://indianstallion.blogspot.com...)

"You will be prosecuted for chewing gum trafficking if you try to smuggle more than 1 kg of chewing gum through customs. The rationale is that you can't obviously be bringing in 1kg for personal consumption. The punishment for chewing gum trafficking is up to 1 year in prison and/or 5 strokes of the cane.

If you are caught dealing chewing gum in Singapore the sentence is similar, and is even harsher if you are caught dealing to minors. However, in most cases, if you co-operate with the authorities and reveal your suppliers you might get off with a significantly lighter sentence. After all, they would rather nab the big syndicates then a small time dealer. You might even have to go assist in covert operations so that they can catch the syndicates in the act.

The type of chewing gum you are caught with also determines your sentence, Wrigley's peppermint gum carries the heaviest sentence because it's the hardest to remove from park benches, roads and other public amenities. However, it is also the gum that sells for the most on the black market, so it's the most lucrative as well."
i-win-347

Pro

To finalize all my points vs. my opponent I'd like to point out flaws in his argument.

1.My opponent has left all my contentions clean since he bases this matter on his perception while I base it on cold hard evidence. These are the following contentions left unclean.

a. Chewing gum raises test scores because it increases blood flow to the brain as well as chemicals to stimulate the brain. In my second round above I have a clinical study as well as proof from a Seattle newspaper reporting on a British study on the matter. My opponent says he hasn't seen an increase or decrease in test scores. Problem is he lives in one area where it's impossible to base a nation on a area while I have studies on multiple nations. These include the US, Great Britain, and Japan.

b. Annoying gum-smackers. As I said teachers can take away gum because it's a "disturbance to a learning environment," but my opponent says he hasn't heard of it but I have because I seen it in action, talked to teachers about this subject, plus have gone to rules from school boards for across the country to find this. It isn't a rule but a clause like the "Necessary and Proper" clause for congress, but only for teachers so they can keep a good learning environment. Also I'll remind you if someone is annoying you with gum smacking quietly getting their attention or telling a teacher to help is the best way to help that. If your in a test situation and someone is bother you are you going to take it or will stand up to it. That's a matter in your own hands that can go both ways.

c. Obviously my opponent hasn't read my contentions or he would of noticed the studies and interviewed people on the subject and I'll so you the same thing again for emphasis:

Well for that I have found more studies from Settle, Dallas, and Ohio proving the only reason why they would stick it under their desk because they're afraid if the teacher saw the gum that they would be in trouble. Also if your still skeptical I have interviewed kids on this subject. Take for instance Mike a 5th grader who I ask the subject about and he gave me around the same answer above. So if chewing gum is allowed more of it would be in trash cans than desks.

My exact words yet my opponent clearly didn't see it and should
of tried to use proof to counter this but for every one of my contentions above he uses personal experience while I use cold hard facts that are 100% true. So everything my opponent tried to throw at my was based on one region while mine is based on the nations of Japan, Great Britain, and the US.

2. My opponent tries to salvage his argument with Singapore. He shows you how they prosecuted for gum. A major flaw in this is he is talking about banning gum from the country but our topic is about schools. So I declare this contention is null and void. Why would the US ban gum and prosecute people for having it which is an extreme measure. I find this unimportant to the subject when we are the United States of America and not Singapore.

Finally my opponent didn't attempt to argue these contentions thus they are accepted by him:

My opponent has left it alone and now will pay the price for it as I stand in firm affirmation for this resolution.
Posted by Joostin 6 years ago
Joostin
Go pro!
Posted by ninjaraygun 8 years ago
ninjaraygun
go con!
Posted by i-win-347 9 years ago
i-win-347
Sweet Bags, To let you know I'm much younger than 26 and the 5th grader is my brother. I also asked kids my age and got a similar responce.
Posted by HoosierPapi 9 years ago
HoosierPapi
I also believe porn should be allowed in schools. If porn were permitted, there would be no more random shootings and similar acts of violence in public school systems. Huzzah! Huzzah porn!
Posted by SweetBags 9 years ago
SweetBags
pro, the topic is relative to schools, and your first round doesn't have anything to do with that, and is therefore untopical.
con, your case is based not only on hypothetical situations, but it also in want of logical backing. you don't have anything but conjecture backing you up.
pro, nice use of scientific studies, but i have to ask, why are you talking to little kids (like the 5th grader) about stuff like this? your 26 (or so your profile says), thats kinda weird.
con, where are you getting the idea that you can hear people chewing gum? do you have any evidence stating the loudness of gum chewing? the major flaw in your case is the lack of evidence, all you have is conjecture. you also don't make good use of your last round, making no effort to sum up the debate and why you should win. its a good idea to do and would help you tremendously.
pro, good job summing up the debate, but use quotes next time you quote yourself, that way the judges know whats new and whats not.
because cons case was based on pure conjecture and had little logic, and because pro's logic was clearly expressed and backed up by evidence, i vote pro.
Posted by i-win-347 9 years ago
i-win-347
Sorry it happens lol, but I'll do my best to win for you okay.
Posted by Bitz 9 years ago
Bitz
i-win-347,

Oh man, lol. You took this debate like, a second before I did.
Vote Placed by qc1614 7 years ago
qc1614
polishgirlinari-win-347Tied
Vote Placed by ninjaraygun 8 years ago
ninjaraygun
polishgirlinari-win-347Tied
Vote Placed by marin24 8 years ago
marin24
polishgirlinari-win-347Tied
Vote Placed by Mattowander 9 years ago
Mattowander
polishgirlinari-win-347Tied
Vote Placed by emmangel_24 9 years ago
emmangel_24
polishgirlinari-win-347Tied
Vote Placed by XxdarknessxX 9 years ago
XxdarknessxX
polishgirlinari-win-347Tied
Vote Placed by chanticleer7 9 years ago
chanticleer7
polishgirlinari-win-347Tied
Vote Placed by Issa 9 years ago
Issa
polishgirlinari-win-347Tied
Vote Placed by mechanizedzombie 9 years ago
mechanizedzombie
polishgirlinari-win-347Tied
Vote Placed by Asia 9 years ago
Asia
polishgirlinari-win-347Tied