Mathgeek99
RationalMadman

Child Beauty Pageants Should Be Outlawed

Mathgeek99

Pro

Children should not be put into beauty pageants! The show "Toddlers & Tiaras" shows the horror behind all the fake hair, flippers, and make-up. Parents feed their children an endless supply of pixie stix to keep their energy up. When the child does not want to do a pageant, few parents will follow the child's wishes. Children are dressed in outfits that are very inappropriate, and encouraged to "flirt" with the judges. The whole thing is about beauty, and winning! Parents also bribe their kids to do a routine. When the child does not do everything perfectly, the parent criticizes them endlessly. Jamie Sterling, from Texas, puts her twin daughters against each other, saying openly to the cameras how one is prettier than the other, and belittling her on the show by making her cry, ignoring her, and favoring her other daughter. All of this is borderline abuse and should be stopped!
RationalMadman

Con

Why should it be outlawed if it doesn't kill or permanently harm the child?
Mathgeek99

Pro

Mathgeek99 forfeited this round.
RationalMadman

Con

Cba to post arguments this round, I'll wait for you.
Mathgeek99

Pro

But it does permanently harm the child, because they carry the lesson that beauty is everything throughout their entire lives! There are many things, such as copyright, that would not actually kill a person, but are illegal. Twenty years from now, the child will look back with resentment toward their parents for exploiting them on television at an early age. They will remember the troubled relationship they had with their parents, and that will carry them into adulthood. They will think that it is fine to blow your college money on a plastic trophy and live through your kids. We have to stop this before it gets out of hand! Already, there are spin-off shows about certain pageant kids, presenting them as "little divas", in a seemingly "cute" manner. But they will get to be too old for the "little diva" attitude that society once found acceptable. Not to mention the label they will be plastered with through college as "the kid who threw a fit in episode seventeen."
RationalMadman

Con

The main issue I have with the pro side of this debate is that you have a burden of broof regarding the extent of harm that being a child beauty pageant causes a child being so severe that it should be deemed illegal. You have not supplied one piece of evidence regarding any child beauty pageant gaining physical nor emotional scars from being one. Thus, whether or not it is ethical, it's not unethical enough to be legally banned.
Mathgeek99

Pro

Okay, here is a piece of evidence. Jamie Sterling, from Keller, Texas, makes her 6 year old twins compete against each other. She openly favors one, while insulting the other one and making her cry. That poor kid is going to be scarred knowing that her mother didn't think she was pretty enough to win a pageant. Another example: A father of a four year old on Toddlers and Tiaras repeatedly told his daughter "You suck". He and his child regarded it as funny, but imagine how much that little girl must be hurting on the inside. Many children on this show wear very inappropriate outfits, such as three year old Paisley, who's mother dressed her up as Julia Robert's character from Pretty Woman. What kind of message are these children getting? That it's good to wear revealing costumes and cute to do inappropriate dance moves? That will scar a child for life.
RationalMadman

Con

RationalMadman forfeited this round.
Mathgeek99

Pro

In closing to this debate, would like to thank everyone, especially my opponent. This was my first debate, and I found it very enjoyable. I really thought no one would offer to debate me, but someone did! By making child beauty pageants illegal, we can help the children of our country. This is a very important cause. I have invested my time in countless youtube videos, reading online articles, and watching Toddlers & Tiaras to support my position. Children will be scarred for life, either resenting their parents, or never realizing the true meaning of life, and yet, that meaning is different for us all. These children are wasting their precious years of youth and talent, and we need to stop beauty pageants to help them carry out a worthwhile goal.
RationalMadman

Con

In conclusion I think I might lose this because I didn't really have many points to raise apart from this:

Just because something is inadvisable in some cases doesn't mean it's harmful in all cases nor that the children may not gain self confidence from being so admired. It's all subjective. Child beauty pageants shouldn't be outlawed, only advised against. Law leaves no choice or parental variety, after all in a multicultural world we should begin to see that different parents raise children differently. Since there is no direct abuse involved, and even indirectly stress is not abuse, if anything it helps the child deal BETTER with stress as an adult (they learn faster as a child how to cope with things hence would rapidly learn stress coping mechanisms involved with performing in front of a crowd). I think that it shouldn't be outlawed if we wish to have a democratic world.