Carole81387
rougeagent21

Child Beauty Pageants

rougeagent21

Carole81387

Con

Child Beauty Pageants:

Child beauty pageants should be banned. It causes children, especially little girls, to use artificial means to boost their self esteem. People were born as-is, not with makeup, spray tans, big hair, and false teeth. Not only does it cause low self esteem in young girls, but it also sexualizes them. It seems that our society has overlooked the fact that there are sexual predators (pedophiles) who are not incarcerated. Placing children in a child beauty pageant is only making the children a target for these types of people.

Any parent placing their child in these types of pageants, based solely on looks, is giving their child the attitude that appearance can get you anywhere in life. It is wrong to teach children that looks are the most important asset to possess. I am not stating that children shouldn't be encouraged to develop a talent or skill, and compete with that talent or skill, I am stating that competing over looks is sending the wrong message to children.

William Pinsof, a clinical psychologist and president of the Family Institute at Northwestern University said, "Being a little Barbie doll says your body has to be a certain way and your hair has to be a certain way. In girls particularly, this can unleash a whole complex of destructive self-experiences that can lead to eating disorders and all kinds of body distortions in terms of body image." (http://www.minorcon.org...)
rougeagent21

Pro

Since there is no official resolution, I will assume it is my opponent's opening statement. Resolved: Child Beauty pageants should be banned.

Let me ask you a couple of questions. Please answer with either yes or no. I will post a full argument in the next round.

1) Who is going to ban these pageants?

2) Under what conditions do you believe that a government has the right to ban a legal activity?

3) Do you believe it is important for a child to develop social skills and make friends?

4) Do you believe it is important for children to develop character?

5) Do you wear make-up?

Thank you, and I look forward to the debate.
Carole81387

Con

Okay ... I will answer 1 and 2 together, it will make more sense. I can't answer yes or no...they aren't yes or no questions.

1 & 2) It can be a legal activity among consenting adults, not parents who push their children into a beauty pageant. Children do not understand how society today views appearance. As I said before, we are sending the message that beauty a main factor in getting what you want. It isn't fair to teach our children this. These girls usually have a dream of being a model or an actor... and the chances of them actually achieving those goals are slim to none. The government should be able to ban something so negative for our children. What will happen if they do? Will we have "underground" child beauty pageants?

3) I do believe it is important for children to develop social skills and make friends, but they can do that in school and at other activities that encourage skills and teamwork.

4) It is important for children to develop character. Do you have character? Did you participate in a beauty pageant to develop your character?

5) Yes, I do wear make-up. I am an adult who chooses to wear makeup, but not to the extent that I have false eyelashes, lipstick, and a fake tan. Some days I don't wear makeup.
rougeagent21

Pro

Sorry about the "yes or no" part, my brother likes to tamper with my computer while I am away.

Observation 1-
Throughout my opponent's arguments, she repeatedly says how mundane the pageants are. She tries to make it sound like every child that participates in these pageants wears "false eyelashes, lipstick, and a fake tan." This is not the case. A child will only wear this if they like the way it makes them look, much for the same reasons that my opponent chooses to wear makeup. Why does my opponent sometimes wear makeup? She wears it because she likes the way it makes her look.

Contention 1-Banning these pageants is impractical

First of all, there is no specific government specified in the resolution. As there is no government that is in control of all of the countries in the world, every single government would have conform to the resolution. We can't even get all of the countries to get rid of nuclear weapons, but we somehow think that they will ban something as petty as child beauty pageants?

Contention 2-These pageants are legal, voluntary activities, and therefore should not be banned.

Simply put, these pageants do not force children to participate. They do not pull children from their homes and demand that they participate. The pageants can be compared to driving a car. Both are voluntary, and both have their risks. Did you know that in about 15 people die every day in the United States from a car accident? That equates to over 5,000 deaths every year. Well, under my opponent's logic, we should ban the act of driving a car. Is driving a car voluntary? Yes. Does driving a car have risks? Yup. Then we need to ban driving a car, right?

In conclusion, the resolution cannot be upheld because it is impractical to impossible, and because it really doesn't make any sense to ban these pageants. Therefore, I urge a negative ballot. (Or affirmative rather due to the orientation of the sides)

http://www.car-accidents.com...
Carole81387

Con

Contention 1: The banning of child beauty pageants is necessary

Every child in these pageants does, in fact, wear makeup. There are, however, natural beauty pageants, which are not quite as bad, but still forces the child to look at themselves in a more negative light if they do not win. What other children of a very young age do you see wearing makeup? Young girls start wearing makeup at around 12-13 years old. I choose to wear makeup because the society around me has made me feel that by enhancing my appearance, I can become more accepted by others. The pageant contestants let their parents apply makeup because they are merely trying to please their parents, and have their parents be proud of them.

Contention 2: In many cases, the pageants are not voluntary on the children's behalf, but the parent is responsible for the child's participation.

We have banned child pornography haven't we? The United States government has banned child pornography, and continues to prosecute those who create,distribute and partake in the viewing of child pornography. One can compare child beauty pageants to child pornography in the way that children are being exploited by being made to perform, and obviously by "dressing up" the young girls. Take JonBenet Ramsey for example, a child beauty pageant princess who ended up murdered in the basement of her home. Also, MANY parents of these girls are forcing their children to compete. The parents coach them in what to say when asked a question, and if the child were truly competing by his or her own will, the parents would not need to coach them. By dolling these children up like this, they end up looking like little women, just a pint size version of a supermodel. As these children grow, they are likely to develop eating disorders and body dysmorphic disorder. Beauty pageants are killing the self esteem of the children involved.

My opponent cannot possibly think comparing a car accident to a beauty pageant is logical. "They" do not pull the children from their homes, but the parents often do. Driving a car is a form of transportation, and is often necessary to get where you need to go. As I stated before, these pageants often lead to eating disorders as the child grows. Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness.(http://www.state.sc.us...) If left untreated, the ultimate prognosis is death. Not to mention the sexual abuse that goes hand in hand with child beauty pageants. Driving a car doesn't exactly sexually abuse a child, does it?
rougeagent21

Pro

rougeagent21 forfeited this round.
Posted by Carole81387 4 years ago
Carole81387
haha voted for myself!!!
Posted by rougeagent21 4 years ago
rougeagent21
Sorry guys, vacation time has a way of keeping me from the computer.
Posted by rougeagent21 4 years ago
rougeagent21
Sorry about that, I was just having a really crappy day. Nice debate!
Posted by Carole81387 4 years ago
Carole81387
dude ... give me a little bit of credit here! It's for school..i'm not about to plagiarize someones argument.
Posted by Cody_Franklin 4 years ago
Cody_Franklin
Well, I wasn't arguing; I was merely making brief counter-observations.
Posted by rougeagent21 4 years ago
rougeagent21
I'm not debating you Cody...I bet almost anything that she says what you just did.
Posted by Cody_Franklin 4 years ago
Cody_Franklin
"Contention 1-Banning these pageants is impractical

First of all, there is no specific government specified in the resolution. As there is no government that is in control of all of the countries in the world, every single government would have conform to the resolution. We can't even get all of the countries to get rid of nuclear weapons, but we somehow think that they will ban something as petty as child beauty pageants?"

I just plain hate this 'impracticality' argument. I hate it so much. The resolution doesn't discuss HOW these pageants are going to be nixed, but simply that they SHOULD be.

"Contention 2-These pageants are legal, voluntary activities, and therefore should not be banned.

Simply put, these pageants do not force children to participate. They do not pull children from their homes and demand that they participate. The pageants can be compared to driving a car. Both are voluntary, and both have their risks. Did you know that in about 15 people die every day in the United States from a car accident? That equates to over 5,000 deaths every year. Well, under my opponent's logic, we should ban the act of driving a car. Is driving a car voluntary? Yes. Does driving a car have risks? Yup. Then we need to ban driving a car, right?"

a. Legality =/= Acceptability

b. It's hardly voluntary for the children who are entered by their parents. Further, this makes your analogy irrelevant.

Just my initial, off-the-cuff thoughts on the affirmative's approach.
Posted by rougeagent21 4 years ago
rougeagent21
Don't worry ;) Glad you're having fun! This site really is a blast.
Posted by Carole81387 4 years ago
Carole81387
Don't forget about the debate..
Posted by Carole81387 4 years ago
Carole81387
It's cool! I knew what you meant. :) I'm actually having fun with this!
Vote Placed by Carole81387 4 years ago
Carole81387
Carole81387rougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 4 years ago
rougeagent21
Carole81387rougeagent21Tied