atilessova
One_Winged_Rook

Child Beauty Pageants

atilessova

Con

Nowadays, there are many beauty pageants, where young girls participate and contact with fake nails, fake teeth, fake hair, fake everything just to be called a "beauty queen" and earn some money. Making beauty the primary goal of a little girl's life is something really bad. They often have plastic surgeries and their mothers don't even think about the seriousness of these things. There is a show "Toddlers and tiaras", where so little girls compete with each other in order to be the best. The problem is that they think they are beautiful with make-up and fake staff they use there. Actually, children are really beautiful with their natural faces.
One_Winged_Rook

Pro

I'll bite...

Seeing that you are Muslim, I hope we're not talking strictly about Sharia Law (as you didn't mention that) where women are covered head to toe. We must be talking about a society where it is assumed women are allowed to reveal their bodies in any way they see fit (besides nudity). For instance, in the USA and UK.

Also, I'm hoping this first round is just for acceptance and clearing up the statement.

Since you didn't make it clear, I will use Rounds 2-4 for my arguments.
atilessova

Con

I'm saying, that mothers shouldn't exploit their children to take part in pageants and torture children by making plastic surgeries.
One_Winged_Rook

Pro

I didn't realize we were debating only - plastic surgery on children.
I'll try to make the case anyway.

The current workplace is saturated. The current unemployment rate is 8.1%.
If we removed a section of people from the work force, and gave them other jobs (such as home making/care giving, a vital section of society - as children are our future). The unemployment rate would go down. The unemployment rate going down is positive.

Women make better caregivers. It's a win/win, especially for children who get the benefit of mothers home with them.

Assuming you agree with both of these, it follows

Its good policy to prepare women for their desirable role as caregivers and home maker (regardless of their capability in the workforce
atilessova

Con

I'm so sorry, but what an unemployment situation and statistics have to do with a child, who is tormented and just made so ugly. If you mean, that they may participate in this kind of competitions because they have no money or another job I can't agree with you. They can do something harmless. Anyway, you haven't understood anything. At least, watch the video.
One_Winged_Rook

Pro

As you haven't refuted my conclusion from the last argument, I'll pick up where we left off.

It is good policy to prepare women for their desirable role as caregivers and home maker.

How can we do this?

Women need different goals to motivate them in lieu of a career to be happy. In the same way that men can prance off they are the V.P. of so and so company making X amount every year, women need some bargaining chip to find satisfaction in their life. Some women may choose to relish in their family's accomplishments, but others need their own fulfillment.
What does the woman have to herself?... her beauty.
That is the one section of her life that is entirely hers (in the way that the workplace is for a man).

Do you agree?
atilessova

Con

atilessova forfeited this round.
One_Winged_Rook

Pro

As found from previous arguments, women want to be beautiful.
A way of measuring that is pageants.

And just like in sports, when you have people who cheat (get plastic surgery/steroids), it raises the bar for those who don't cheat and inspires them to do better.

By forcing little girls to cheat for pageants, it raises the bar on beauty and makes others want to be more beautiful. As being beautiful gives them value, they don't feel the need to enter the workforce. Women abstaining for the workforce lowers unemployment. Lowering unemployment is a good thing. Little girls getting plastic surgery is a good thing. Q.E.D.

Thank you and VOTE PRO!
Posted by RationalMadman 4 years ago
RationalMadman
I wish to accept but do not meet your criteria.
Posted by ADT_Clone 4 years ago
ADT_Clone
To clarify, as that is a bit vague, teaching their children religion as facts and instilling fear into them, which limits their ability to think and reason rationally when they are older.

It's similar to deciding to put your child in a beauty pageant, at that age they don't have the ability to reason and decide for themselves and trust their parents to make reasonable, rational decisions for them.
Posted by ADT_Clone 4 years ago
ADT_Clone
I think they instil the wrong values and send the wrong message to these young people. The people who are to blame are the parents and partially the media.

However, if we were to blame the parents for this, we would have to also blame the parents for other things, such as religion.