bearski
dario12091

Child Discipline or Abuse

bearski

Pro

A 12 year old girl came home from school with a bad conduct mark on her report card. She received a switching which resulted in welts on her thighs and buttocks. After the spanking the girl came crying to out door. We let her in and my wife saw the switch marks on her. We decided to call the local child abuse hotline and report it.

The neighbors tell me I should have minded my own business and the girl deserved the switching as she had been warned about her bad conduct in school.

I believe I did the right thing by reporting it and will defend that position in the debate.

Contender will open with an opposing view then we will debate our positions in the next three rounds.
dario12091

Con

What did the little girl did in her school?
What was her bad behavior?
Do the parents of the little girl do often spank their child?

When I was a kid, if I did something wrong or behave badly my parents sometimes spanks me, my brother and my sister disciplined this way as well, and I can definitely say that it worked, an iron hand is not the best way to deal with a misbehaving
child but sometimes, showing the child the gravity of his/her misbehavior or wrong actions can't be justified by just talking with the child.

For example when I was a Kid, I am stealing money from my parents, when my parents learned about it they got a little bit
angry and told me that its bad to steal and that's it, what I did is do it again, I still continued on stealing money from them (Not big amounts) and when they caught me again stealing from them my father got a hold of a broom and spank 3 to 5 times on my butt, I cried like a bitch, yes it is painful, but you know what the spanking have taught me a valuable lesson.
The lesson is that when you do something bad, you are going to be responsible for that action, you must always think before you do something, think if its right or wrong, cause when you do something wrong chances are you going get punished.
bearski

Pro

To answer your questions. I do not know the answer to your first two questions. We didn't press the child to give us any details. My wife saw the welts on her bottom. Which was enough for us to report it.

To your third question does she get spanked often. Don't know the answer but I don't think it is often.

Lets assume for the sake of the debate these parents had good reason to punish her. What we disagree on is the method used or that the method used was excessive, unreasonable, and too severe..

Getting hit with the broom handle? They're pretty tough. Seems me it could easily cause bruises. How old were you at the time if I may ask.?

Neighbors are okay people. They just went too far this time. The welts were pretty nasty looking my wife said.

I trust CPS and the Sheriff's office to handle it well. Don't think the police is going to arrest anybody and CPS can get the family help if they need it.
dario12091

Con

dario12091 forfeited this round.
bearski

Pro

Contacting child abuse investigators does not mean I was of the opinion the girl shouldn't have been punished for the bad conduct at school
dario12091

Con

dario12091 forfeited this round.
bearski

Pro

obviously Contender wasn't serious in debating this topic judging from his/her repeated forfeits. There should be more severe penalties for those who agree to debate and then fail to live up to the terms of the agreement
dario12091

Con

dario12091 forfeited this round.
Posted by bearski 8 months ago
bearski
that means no one is going to debate me on it. I think there is an opposing view which is not unreasonable.
Posted by That1User 8 months ago
That1User
That is definitely child abuse. Thank you for calling the hotline.
Posted by Wylted 8 months ago
Wylted
I think virtually everyone will think you did the right thing