joskoo
ChingSea

Child Labor is More Important than Education is Today

joskoo has forfeited round #3.
Started: 7/4/2018 Category: Economics

joskoo

Con

I will be arguing that Education is more important for children than child labor:

Child labor and poverty are inevitably bound together and if you continue to use the labor of children as the treatment for the social disease of poverty, you will have both poverty and child labor to the end of time." Child labor is a highly prevalent problem deeply rooted in society. Child labor prevents children from reaching their potential by all but ensuring that the child"s education will be diminished - leading to poverty and crime. A limited education limits job prospects to laborers, due to a college degree or at the very least high school diploma required for most jobs. It negatively affects children both in mental and physical ways. Physical injuries and even mutilations can be caused by child labor, through a combination of faulty machinery, exhaustion, and workplace hazards. Child labor has adverse effects on health, cognitive ability, and happiness, all of which play a pivotal role in the development of a young child.

The opponent, please give your opening speech.
ChingSea

Pro

I would like to clarify that I do support Child-Labour and I am an advocate to its destruction. I am otherwise utilising this debate to explain the dangers capitalism has brought to these children, and why currently education would not help.

Child-labour is crucial to our capitalist system. We are reliant on exploiting these children because of how cheap it is. Ever wonder why we are able to afford cheap clothes, jewelry, etc? Because the child labourer was paid for his crums.

Furthermore, if the child-labourers were to be forced into education rather than working they would need to find other ways to make money to keep themselves alive--providing education does not provide food at the table. And like many children who are not capable of taking these jobs, it becomes even easier to be exploited into other horrible things such as the sex trade. Thus, what would be the point of educating these children? There aren't any options for these children to move on to.

In essence, our capitalist system would never abide to preventing child-labour so long as it is benefiting ourselves.

Ideally we want children to be educated, to have the ability to maintain innocence. But to do this, we have to change our economic system to provide freedom for all.

Thank you, I hope I've addressed my beliefs clearly and I wish my opponent good luck.
joskoo

Con

You say that if kids don't work, they won't earn enough money. Well, why not let the parents do that, and let the kids get education. Why? If you think about it, the more education a kid gets, the higher the chance he'll be more successful when he/she grows up, which will let him/her get out of poverty. Child Labor is a cruel way to earn money, and it should be stopped.
ChingSea

Pro

As I've stated previously, I do not think that child-labour is in any way moral, and therefore arguing that its wrong is in fact agreeing with me, however that's not the argument I'm making. I'm suggesting that the system involuntarily offers no choice for these children, and the only way to actually give them this option would be to change the system, or wait long enough to find someone else to exploit.

You ask why the parents shouldn't be the ones working, and that's probably because in a lot of the cases they are working as well. Its even more brutal when you consider that you essentially have the whole family working but they can barely afford any nutrition.

"the more education a kid gets, the higher the chance he'll be more successful when he/she grows up"

This isn't true. First of all, they'd need a significant accumulation of wealth to even be able to find a country that would provide substantial education, then be able to speak that language fluently to properly be educated. Then they'd probably need to work within that country to have any substantial amount of money, because if he goes back home then he isn't going to be making lots of money because everyone is poor. Not to mention that an education does not necessarily mean you're going to be rich, or that you'll even find a job. They will probably still have debt from the education they received, debt from moving to another country as a foreigner, and the debt because they moved back to the country were they cannot make large accumulations of profit.
Posted by ChingSea 2 months ago
ChingSea
Okay, so Joskoo forfeited but I cannot respond. This is really strange.
Posted by ChingSea 2 months ago
ChingSea
Well Icy Frost, you're in luck!
Posted by joskoo 2 months ago
joskoo
I am fine with whoever to debate with.
Posted by IcyFrost 2 months ago
IcyFrost
Isn't this practically a lost cause for the pro? Never gonna win...

I'd like to see the debate here though as I believe it will be very entertaining
Posted by ChingSea 2 months ago
ChingSea
I would be willing to debate you, but not because I think Child-Labour is moral, but rather that it is crucial to the capitalist system I despise. If you're interested.
Posted by ChingSea 2 months ago
ChingSea
Posted by ChingSea 2 months ago
ChingSea
Posted by joskoo 2 months ago
joskoo
Also, I am sorry to say but "economics" might not be the best subject for this topic to be under. My apologies.
Posted by joskoo 2 months ago
joskoo
Please do NOT give random comments.