blackkid
ELDRITCH

Children: Are they born atheist?

blackkid
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

blackkid

Con

All rounds are for argumentation; I will begin:

Children are not born atheist. Atheism is defined as "The term "atheist" describes a person who does not believe that God or a divine being exists." (http://www.iep.utm.edu...) which I believe to be universally known however there is one word which does not get adequate consideration in that phrase. Belief is defined as "a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing" or "conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence." It is the word belief and the qualities of such a thing.

The problems with declaring babies as being born atheist is that they do not match either of the definitions of belief in which there is trust or confidence placed in the concept that there is no deity just as there is no trust or confidence placed in the concept that there is a deity and there is no conviction related to any statement about deities whatsoever. The lack of conceptual awareness removes the burden of belief therefore concepts such as Soft Atheism do not refer to those who lack conceptual awareness but those who are aware of the concept, choose to disbelieve in a deity, and then assert Agnosticism (http://www.pluralism.org...) as their knowledge claim to couple with their belief claim.

Due to this it is functionally impossible for a person of any persuasion to be atheistic towards something they cannot be said to be aware of therefore babies, being objectively unaware of the concepts revolving around deities in general, are not atheist at birth.
ELDRITCH

Pro

The word atheist does not mean "One who believes that there is no god."

The word atheist means "One who does not believe that there is a god."

There are strong atheists, who have faith in the idea that there is no god, but most, like myself, are simply unconvinced. Thus, colloquial use of the term "Atheist" ought to refer to the type of atheist that's most common.
blackkid

Con

You need a source for your definition as an appeal to yourself will not be sufficient and you are arguing directly with a school's definition.

You need some form of evidence to assist in the assertion that what you claim to be the most common form of atheist is in fact the most common form.
ELDRITCH

Pro

Upon searching, I concede that I cannot find statistics on the types of atheism.

However, we can find that the answer to this question depends on what one means by the word atheism. All children are born with a lack of a belief in anything. Should one mean that the word atheism ought to refer to an explicit faith in the ideas of no god, than you're right.

Although, atheism is also an umbrella term for many types of nonreligion, such as agnosticism, ignosticism, and antitheism. All babies are atheists. Not necessarily one type of atheist, but a type in the atheism family nonetheless. Saying that they aren't is like saying that someone isn't a Christian, but rather a Lutheran.
blackkid

Con

You've made one perilous mistake: "Although, atheism is also an umbrella term for many types of nonreligion, such as agnosticism, ignosticism, and antitheism. All babies are atheists. Not necessarily one type of atheist, but a type in the atheism family nonetheless.", you never explained what school of thought they would fall under.

Babies are not ignostic, they are definitely not antitheist, and as you said they are not atheist in common and direct terminology so what type? Well, sadly this debate is over, and to that end you've not substantiated this claim either. It happens.

Thanks for playing.
ELDRITCH

Pro

The family is atheism. If there's many subtypes of atheism, why not agree that babies are atheists? Sure, they're not the kind of atheist that most people immediately think of when the word atheist is said, but it's still a variety of atheist. The statement is technically true.

But again, we've been saying the same thing this entire time, this is just a semantics debate.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Babies are born furtile ground for whatever seeds are sown. It is up to the parents what seeds THEY choose to sow in their lives. Not government or you.I chose to sow the seeds of God's word. You have no business telling me I could not. Just as I have no right to tell you to sow seeds of atheism. Now as our children go into the world, they will be exposed to other voices. That is where freedom to choose comes in. And that should be protected.
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
atheism is disbelief, belief that god is false
Posted by blackkid 2 years ago
blackkid
I forgot, vote for pro. <3
Posted by GoOrDin 2 years ago
GoOrDin
to define Christian you must define the philosophy of Christs being. If you cannot perceive how Christ si the First of Gods acts you can not even make a reference to Christian and remain coherent in your own mind.
Posted by GoOrDin 2 years ago
GoOrDin
to be fair Duckee can't define Christian to make that claim.
Posted by blackkid 2 years ago
blackkid
Agreed.
Posted by duckee 2 years ago
duckee
Children aren't born Christian either. Or any religion for that matter. Religion/non-religion is learned.
Posted by SmartKid414 2 years ago
SmartKid414
Well let me say that child has to get baptism then they real become a Catholic not a fake Christian that has no respect to there own sins and they go to church EVERY SUNDAY. I am Catholic and I feel as if god has my back for my whole life spam.
Posted by blackkid 2 years ago
blackkid
Next time.
Posted by kasmic 2 years ago
kasmic
Dang, I had just written a rebuttal. (sigh) oh well.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
blackkidELDRITCH
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: pro basically drops con's arguments
Vote Placed by Mr.Lincoln 2 years ago
Mr.Lincoln
blackkidELDRITCH
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Cons arguments were a lot more complex
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
blackkidELDRITCH
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-